xantia 19td headgasket-oil pumping into waterway/header tank

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Normally if the cooler is leaking you get black oil pouring out of the header tank. If the HG is leaking you get more brown sludge. You can easily bypass the water side of the cooler to test it. blowing into the cooler won't necessarily reveal a leak - the oil runs at 3.5 bar minimum.

The main head oil feed gallery is a long slot at the cambelt end of the block and failure of the HG is not unknown here - although usually it leaks oil to the outside - my first Xantia TD went this way - quite a large oil leak suddenly appeared from behind the injection pump one day.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with Richard
also unless the head gasket is done corectly you will be wastting you time and money,

the head off job should be a very last resort and should not be disturbed unless it is prooved with out a doubt it needs replaceing

regards malcolm

ps.
the last time i did one of my own cars (BX 1.9D) it cost me 200 squid for parts and head work, so 300 still sounds very cheap to me
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

this was yesterday after we had changed oil cooler. its pushing poo out of header tank.can't see any bubbles init though.it is leaking at front of block behind pump quite alot other day when it first happened.not sure if i had held it off by using K-seal as it looked like matrix was leaking in car abit. it wasn't a new cooler but how likely for both to be u/s? original looked ok as was always run with antifreeze green poo.it did come with good history.
xantia 19td estate 96-7
Gregg1100
My Cars:

xantia 19td headgasket-oil pumping into waterway/header tank

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
If the oil cooler fails, it will push oil at a far greater pressure into the water system, forcing every bit of water out, and filling the system with oil behind it. Oil pressure up to 60lbs per sq inch--water pressure equals whatever the rad cap is set at---average 13-15 lb. No contest.
The engine still sounded sweet--a head gasket gone could make the engine a bit lumpy---so I plumped for the oil cooler replacement. Got a second hand one from breaker, new seal, no more worries---car still ok.
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its leaking from the block, 10/1 head gasket.
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Peter.N. wrote:If its leaking from the block, 10/1 head gasket.
Hi ive changed cooler can't see two beening duff? orig looked good no corrosion at all! it had been well looked after. was weeping for while still after cam top as that needed changing. thats when i noticed it still getting oil down by pump.but after this there was a lpool on one of the webs/ribs on block where it had run down and hadn't come from header as hadn't got across there.so not much else apart from that can it be? did have K-seal init as thought matrix was weeping.so may'be it had held it off?
xantia 19td estate 96-7
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

R.I.P

Post by dieseldoggy »

Me thinks it's time for poor old car to go to scrappy? as guy looking at says it's got cracked head in the recess between timing belt&cover plate for water return.and think would proberly need engine as could be damaged as said didn't sound good when started. so got to find something else
xantia 19td estate 96-7
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Could well be the head, XUD's used to be prone to head failure but not heard so much about it recently. I would think that there should be plenty of second hand heads about if you feel inclined to change it.
dieseldoggy
My Cars:

Post by dieseldoggy »

Hi it's not just head as ran with very low oil that it could be other damage?light didn't come on but did get a like a rattle bit like a shaft running with a loose washer onit not keeping time with engine.only just started in last half mile ish.didn't know at time it had emptied that quick as had changed oil cooler before.filled with oil etc.guy looking at it says he started and saw it coming from head and engine didn't sound nice.got to move it later so will see myself not going far???and time got an engine and fitting looking about £400+?can you remove aircon without disturbing it?. it's a cat C car had rear end damage floor behind bumper plus other bits need doing and would need a clutch soonish.
xantia 19td estate 96-7