Xantia HDI 110 Clutch slave kaputt..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

No!

that's why i suggested sorting the hydraulic system first:
HDI Dave wrote: p.s, it could still be your gearbox, but it looks like you need a new pushrod anyway, so you've nowt to lose anyway have you pal :)
as a.) the 'box is still in the car,
and b.) the pushrod was goosed anyway,and the system still needs to be bled.
Plus,it's gotta be easier trying it this way before ryving the gbox out :)

If he gets this system sorted and it turns out the clutch is suspect,then he can simply put the slave/pipes etc to one side,sealed...and fiddle with the gbox all day long if he so chooses.
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

Dave, is part 2 whilst the slave is still fitted in bellhousing?
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

yes mate
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

[/quote] When connected,make sure the bulkhead res is full,and the mrs can then let go of the pedal. Put the small pin back in the slave (holding the fluid pipe on).
ç

what if, at this point the reservoir is not full? do i top it up immediately? or repeat process, ensuring that it is full all the way through the process?
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

okay... ive never used the "quote" button before... so the last post is in reverse... as you already probably realised Dave lol
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

!!!!!!! just been out and tried the bleeding process again.... this time the results are worse...the pedal has gone back to as before...no feel at all,,and just sits at the bottom.... i think i must have let more air back in the system, right?
then i thought i try part 2,, see if that gets it working,,, what i noticed was... there with the slave in the bellhousing,, and the pipe disconnected from slave... whilst the clutch pedal was being pressed,,, there wasnt really much pressure in the fluid coming out of pipe,,, it was a lot of air,,,i would say more coughing and spluttering rather than pis$$ing out... really..not much fluid was coming out at all..like i said just splutters..then the occasional squirt,, but not at all like,,with each press of the pedal its constantly pi$$in out with high pressure,no, certainly not....
i was thinking of trying one of these high pressure bleeders,,, but they cost tooo much,, and,, more importantly,, i dont think that they would fit the top of the reservoir as its location is awkward as anything...
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

i3 wrote:
When connected,make sure the bulkhead res is full,and the mrs can then let go of the pedal. Put the small pin back in the slave (holding the fluid pipe on).
ç

what if, at this point the reservoir is not full? do i top it up immediately? or repeat process, ensuring that it is full all the way through the process?
[/quote]

eek!!!

I think you've let the fluid drop mate,so ur back to square one. The results speak for themself,you were getting some pedal,now air's got in and it's goosed again...
You'll have to do it all again,but persevere and it should bleed.

Keep the reservoir brimming at all times - you can always syringe the excess out later.
Keep trying, it could take half an hour or 2,but it deff sounds like air to me,and no special hp bleeder is needed.
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

ok,, will try again in morn,, depending on weather.....
roughly how much fluid should i be syringe back up the pipe to bleed it fully?,,, i have used a over a 500ml(i think its a 500ml tin) tin so far... used around one tin yesterday alone when i got some of the air out and had something on the pedal....
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

5 syringes of fluid,in my case, (polo mint packet size syringe)

no disrespect i3, but you're not 'getting it' \ understanding...

Like i said on page 2...

"I put a clear pipe on the end of the cable nipple (which fits into the slave).
Took 5 syringes of fluid, (polo mint packet size syringe) , must have been a lot of air in there.
Still next to no travel/clutch.
So i took the pipe back off the slave and held it near, tight, and bled from the pedal end."

Part 1 got you some pedal.This is the main part of filling the system.. Part 2 is the fine tuning.

I wish you were closer so i could do it for you...anyone live near oxford...
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

hey, just to let you guys know, Dave and Jim,,, i didn't repair the problem and just bugger off!!! and i didnt scrap the car! i went away to north wales.... just back few days ago... i was giving the bleeding another go today.... got close..to the same point i reached before,,with pedal slowly returning up...but then i would slip when trying to do part 2 and trying to hold the pipe in and it would blast off,,and end up messing up..this happened like 5 times today... soo..i just had another read of your instructions Dave... i think reading now i see where i may possibly be making a mistake,,, when i begin the entire process, before i begin syringing into the fluid pipe,, should the clutch pedal be on the floor? as you mentioned that your pedal was in the middle after syringing... i have always been beginning the process with the pedal at the top and it will stay there until it is pressed when im trying to connect the slave back to the fluid pipe... soo,,should i begin process with the pedal on the floor?
that aside...it is a real dog trying to quickly connect the pipe to the slave,,as you know... i think i maybe messing up here as well.......
anyhow.... i will give it another go tomorrow.......
by the way...im sorry to be such an annoyance... hopefully i will be sorted soon...( one day ;) )
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

You know, i can't remember now if the pedal was on the floor at first,i'm sure it was. Certainly it was very near the floor and bleeding made it rise to the correct height.

i3
"i was giving the bleeding another go today.... got close..to the same point i reached before,,with pedal slowly returning up...but then i would slip when trying to do part 2 and trying to hold the pipe in and it would blast off,,"

Sounds like your deff getting there,keep trying. Use a bar to hold the pipe into the slave. Who's helping you,..arnold schwarzneger? lol, Gently press the clutch when bleeding,or the pipe will indeed blast off...
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

tried again yesterday... no luck...was at it for a few hours... i just cant seem to do it correctly...i've used about 9 tins of clutch fluid since i have started trying to bleed it...i dont seem to be getting anywhere....
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thought about you yesterday, i3, as I liberated a slave from a scrap 406.

I would be tempted to tee a bleed nipple into the pipe near to the slave.

Then, I'd use this nipple to bleed down from the master. Once I was content the master was free of air, I'd then temporarily remove the slave from the egarbox and whilst opening the nipple, press on the pushrod to expel any air and whilst holding the pushrod fully in, do the nipple up. Then let the pushrod go very carefully (i.e. let the slave piston move forward) and repeat a few times.

I can't promise this will be a magic bullet or that Fulham will win the cup but it might be worth a go....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

how exactly would you tee a bleed nipple into the pipe?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

i3 wrote:how exactly would you tee a bleed nipple into the pipe?
The devil is in the detail here...

I'd go looking to a manual boost control valve, something like this one on eBay...

Cut the pipe, warm it. Slip that into the line neat the slave and secure the ends of the pipe on the valve body with good jubilee clips.

Alternatively, a person with a lathe and taps could knock up something similar out of a block of brass with a normal bleed nipple tapped into it...

Just a thought. As I say, no guarantees of it working but at this stage of the game, worth a shot...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...