Cruise control quest...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi dave

The XM vacuum cruise ECU is on the front of the ECU case on the drivers side of the engine bay. It will be the largest of the relay boxes (80x30x40mm) usually the one nearest the engine, silver with about 10 wires on the connector. There is usually a black clip-on cover hiding these 3 relays on the front of the ECU box. If you are clearing a scrap XM then it will be worth recovering the brake pedal and wiring for the double pole switch and connector. The switch fits both auto and manual XM brake pedals and I suspect it will happily move into an Xantia one also. XM vac Cruise fault finding and circuitry was written up in CCC mag and reprinted not long ago. Do not expect to get all the bits you need from a 2.5TD XM or a EPIC lucas 2.1TD XM as these had a much simpler electronic cruise and the ECU is just part of the code in the main engine ECU.

John
Xmexclusive
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Thanks for the info, i didnt expect to get everything off of the XM, so knowing i can take bits from a 406 is handy!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Some pictures (if the host will behave!) of stuff to hunt for - either extant on your car, or in the scrapyards.

Wiring plug for the control box - in a Series II it's in the centre console, to the rear.

Box itself.

Under the NSF wheelarch, there are plugs for the cruise control among other things. It's the round one, and also the blue rectangular one next to it. White plug is for a second horn (now fitted :twisted: ).

Here's the pump and vacuum regulator solenoid.

I cut my shroud to fit the stalk. It already had the mounting bosses moulded and drilled. Took a lot of squinting, but I was able to pick out a faint line inside for where the mould was blanked off for the stalk opening.

This is where the brownish plug to mate with the stalk was found - foam wrapped atop the steering column, next to the silver plug for a Hydractive steering angle sensor.