My "love" of all things xantia...and Xm...and Cx..

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Well here is the picture of my amazing composite undertray, ie plastic and baked bean cans mixed with rivets and bolts!

The best bit is it is so far holding beautifully!

Surprisingly no rubbish came out when i bled the brakes, not sure what i was expecting though! The fluid was brown so at least it will be green again soon!

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG »

I believe it was just the diesels which had undertrays so the clue there is that they were used to suppress noise.

tim leech
Donor 2016

Post by tim leech »

My petrols not got one of those for sure. And we had it new so I doubt its dropped off! :lol:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That undertray repair is almost a work of art Dave :D I like!

I've never actually ever seen one in place on a Xantia. Well, that's a lie because I recall a long time ago my 2.1TD had one but Xac and I removed it before it fell off :lol: :lol:

My lad's 2.1TD 406 had one until I grew frustrated wth it due to seized threads on it's retaining bolts and did away with it. I think it still hides behind my soft-water barrel!!!

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Well the journey to france went well. (apart from wanting to shoot french lorry drivers)
This post wil not be punctuated very well as im on a horrible french keyboard, so its all wrong!

Got down here fine without even stopping at a petrol station :twisted:
i did like the 80mph speed limits on the motorway!

Two lanes from me at the ferry crossing was a DS! and i followed it for some way down, it certainly did not have any trouble with speed!

Near the campsite we stayed at I came across a badly looked after DS and 2cv, we have planned the return journey so we can stop and look at it, and perhaps persuade the owner that he really doesnt need it, it might even work if i get my gf to speak in french and i keep quiet ( perhaps pretend im a mute, and hide the xantia!)

red_dwarfers
Donor 2020

Post by red_dwarfers »

Glad to hear the French trip is going well Dave :D
Don't they have those AZERTY keyboards over there?
How long are you out of the country?

I got into the situation of trying to fix a problem with the wireless on a vista laptop....the trouble is the owner's first language is chinese. It was rather fun trying to type commands into the command prompt :lol: :lol:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds like a great trip Dave :D

Yep, the French like their AZERTY keyboards and typing on one unknowingly can be great fun. The Germans have a different layout too.

A great practical joke is to swap someones keyboard when they're not looking. I have a Greek one for such games :lol:

We have a Chinese keyboard in the office. It is huuuuuge 8)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:Sounds like a great trip Dave :D

Yep, the French like their AZERTY keyboards and typing on one unknowingly can be great fun. The Germans have a different layout too.

A great practical joke is to swap someones keyboard when they're not looking. I have a Greek one for such games :lol:

We have a Chinese keyboard in the office. It is huuuuuge 8)
Even better, leave the keyboard alone and change the keyboard map :)

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers »

At the AA we used to take a printscreen of their desktop, set it as their wall paper, hide their icons, minimise their taskbar and move it to the top of the screen.
Got our boss several times with that :D

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Got a few pics from the citroen car museum and a DS we spotted en route!

Also an amazing keyring i picked up at a car boot sale I could not believe that out of all the random keyrings this guy had, he had a xantia.
(this will be handy when i have so many cars that i cant remeber which key is for which!)

Heres the DS that seems to be "resting"

Ill just put a few pics on from the musuem, i also took photos of the information that went with each car!

Famous no 32

Sid_the_Squid

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Wow, I absolutely love that purple DS =P~

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Well for those of you who were at the CXM you will know i had a slight leak, and the car has been incapacitated since!

I have now recieved pipes and flaring tools (thanks Martin!) and am just awaiting the flare spanners before i effect a repair.

Photos to follow! Now im off to learn how to use a flare tool!

andmcit

Post by andmcit »

If it's the small hand tool about 1" x 1" x 2" with two 11mm headed bolts
holding the two halves together align the end of the pipe that needs flaring
onto the scribed line on one half of the die and carefully feed the main
threaded press die onto the end with it's little guide pin in the slot and then
bolt the lot together to grip the pipe and then flare the pipe remembering
of course to put a new nut on the pipe first!!

Have fun!! Actually, in truth, I do find it is, but then I'm just sad!

Andrew

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

davetherave wrote:Well for those of you who were at the CXM you will know i had a slight leak, and the car has been incapacitated since!
Did you get home OK Dave or did a flatbed make a visit?

Practice on lots of scrap pipe with the flaring tool first before going for the real one.

As Andrew says, put a new ferrule (nut) on the pipe first. We've all done lovely flares on pipes beautifully crafted to realise far too late this essential step was missed :lol:

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

No flatbed was needed! i lost about 1.5 litres after the gaffa tape and jubilee clip bodge was in place!