My "love" of all things xantia...and Xm...and Cx..

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Problem is that they have that wrong! that alternator is not the same as the one I have taken off! :?

vince

Post by vince »

CitroJim wrote:
Remember the old Chinese proverb:

"Man who never make mistake, never make anything..."

Go for it :D
Love that Jim, made me laugh :lol:

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Alternator fixed! 8-) Belts Tensioned car defibrilated with chloes cuore! it cost me 97quid in the end, the guy who sorted the alternator was really helpfull i will post a link to his ebay shop in the recommeded section soon.

I then decided to fit the new thermostat as the engine temperature guage never reads above 60 degrees and i had the wheel arch liner off any way.
In case you dont have an xm and are wondering why i would need to take a wheelarch liner off for a thermostat, its because the thermostat is in a ridiculous place!
I removed the bolts holding the housing in and could not remove the housing the light then started fading so i could not see the housing, and ive poked and pryed various bits with a flat head screwdriver but dont know how to proceed, never changed a thermostat! i then managed to cut my head on the axle stand and with blood dripping from my head conceeded that the Xm had won.
My ill feeling towards the Xm was not helped by the fact that my dad has insured the xantia and i drove it again today, and thought wow this is magic carpet ride instead of magic clonk ride! i thought hydractive was supposed to be better than an lx xantia! Also it seems to have a hell of a lot more go in it!
Seriously if you have a nice 1.9td and are thinking what i could really do with is a 2.1td Xm, then give your self a slap and think again. The 1.9 seems much nippier and in my experience will run for more than 2 hours without new faults appearing!
under the xm it appears the hydraflush is doing its Job by ensuring everything has a leak, i even found a sphere i did not know about, a soft ride sphere or something according to book of crap.

I just went outside again with the intension of rigging some lighting to work on it however it is bloody freezing!

If i cant get it done tomorow morning then sod the thermostat a cold engine never hurt anyone.
I shall report back tomorow when i will either be triumphant or have reneged on the agreement with my Dad and driven back to Norwich with the xantia leaving him with a crap Xm!

red_dwarfers
Donor 2020

Post by red_dwarfers »

Oh dear Dave!

I've given myself a slap and thought for a bit...still wouldn't mind a 2.1 XM at some point! Surely its worth all the trouble in the end?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

They are a bit of a devil Dave, 2.1TD thermostats. Are you sure it's gone?

How long does heat take to get going in the cabin?

The thermostat being in the bottom hose can give some funnies on the gauge. The V6 is the same...

If heat comes quickly, it's good.

Great news on the alternator and like Kev says, don't give up! there's a good car in there...

Keep at it and it'll reward you handsomely...

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

ill let you know if its worth all the trouble in the end, i just havnt got there yet!

Im pretty sure the stat has gone as the temperature gauge sits in between 50 and 60 degrees all the time, and heat does take a long long time to come!

I do love the xm, but if i didnt have chloes car as a backup i would have been stuck on a few ocasions.

So kev if you really must, then buy two, one to use and one for spares!

My dad commented on how nice the xantia was to drive, he said the only thing it lacked was cruise control, as i pointed to the cruise control button on the xm. The only problem was that i had to follow up with "it doesnt work though".

I supose you could get a real poverty spec xm wtih hardly any electrics as nothing can go wrong then!

I am confident i will get it to the same standard as the xantia but i hate it looking like a mobile garage with all my tools in it!
I will have to coerce my brother into cleaning it for me!

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Seems to be coming together Dave, you should have a very nice Xm when its sorted out. I cant believe how fast the 2.1TD warms up, there seems to be heat coming out of the vents very quickly, and the temp gauge rises quickly. Though it shold be sitting higher than 60, so its probably your thermostat then.

Kev, they are really not all that bad, infact, when i was something reliable i take an XM! Never had any problems with ours, yes minor niggles when you get them, but nothing bad. Though they are not used every day. I can imagine they might develop niggles maybe if i used one each day.

The more basic the better in my opinion, well where an Xm is concerned. Spec just creates problems. The only thing which is letting our 2.1 down now is the fact its missing one headlamp wahser cover, can i find one? No i cant. I need to get one, so ill have to search harder, but i dont have this problem with the SX :lol: Im joking of course, its nice to have spec, though i dont miss it on an XM, they are nice in whatever spec they are. SX seats are more comfortable however :lol:

Its always nice to have the toys though, especially if you use it daily, but only if they work!

Keep up the good work Dave, i enjoy reading your Xm adventures too. Its looking very nice in the pics too.

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Thanks Chris, unfortuanatly i rather like the high specs (yep even if the extras dont work).
Hence why my xantia looks like an exclusive but isnt!

Anger against the car aside it is a great car, very comfortable. My girlfreinds brother who regards me as a bit citroen crazy, recently commented on how much more spacious it was then his dads jag, (this made me smile :D alot!)

The worst bit about doing work is finding more work that needs doing, for instance my wheel archs need some work as does the drivers jacking point.
Thats on the list for when i stop buying all these Cx's!

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, spec is nice, especially if you have the leather and all of the works. I couldnt live without air conditioning on my daily car. Though for the times i drive the XMs i can live without it. If i was using them daily id have to find one with it. Thats a task in itself, its hard enough finding a good Xm, never mind finding one the right spec. I always go on condition, hence why we have had a few SX Xms.

We have had 4 Xms now, two SX and two VSX, only one had air con. So ive not really lived with a high spec Xm. VSX is fairly high spec, and our Treg did have a few options, climate, cruise etc, but not all of them and not leather. For some reason later Xms like that on had less and less spec as time went on. Headlamp washers were deleted from the VSX for example.

I do like the dipping passenger mirror and the electric adjustable seats on the VSX Xm, so i can only imagine what it much be like to have electric heated leather, electric arm rest, etc.

Though my C5 is well enough equipped for my daily 'luxury' motoring :lol:

A CX Dave! I had not noticed that. Have I missed a thread on here or have you not declared it? :lol: Your getting a right collection. A nice S1 and a prestige at that, it will make your Xm look small!

Any pictures of this new addition, Dave?

Chris.

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Driving the xantia at the weekend I did sadly notice what i had been fearing for a while :( .

I think th heater matrix is gone :evil: . The windscreen takes years to clear and the smell gives it away.

I think it will be a case of radwelding it untill the disertation is done!
Im looking forward to taking the dash out like a hole in the head.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It's not that bad Dave. Easier than a dissertation, that's for sure :D

Honestly, it's just 10 hours of tedium. Nothing particularly complex and when the time comes, us seasoned matrix replacers will give you all the advice needed :wink:

Use some Forte Stop leak or K-Seal for now. Don't use Radweld...

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

An update..
Havnt had time to do much maintenance due to placemement and work!

I contacted the guy about the wrong thermostat who promised to send another and didnt, then raised a dispute, and he sent anothet one, which is for a 1.9td xantia. so once agin incorrect :(
Getting pretty fed up of hassleing him!

Have bought the only 3 spheres (two front and front centre hydractive) i have not replaced from Dickie G, so hopefully that will alter the magic clonk ride :)

I think another thing to add to my list is to fix the air conditioning as im sure it doesnt work!

Im watching a 2.5td cx on ebay with a view to use the engine in my cx prestige project. :twisted:

I thought scene as i am doing all this work a would treat myself to a lexia 3, (wish i had not bothered), i have never known a program take so long to install! (and i had to do it around 4-5 times due to problems with vista virtual machine etc).
I got it at a very reasonable price from ebay just £155 with 16 pin 2 pin and 30 pin leads.
Having installed all billion gigabytes of it, it does sod all anyway apart from say "no dialogue"!
However im tempeted to think its the Xms fault ( most of the electrics have a fault, so why not the diagnostic port?) and not the lexia, so i shall try it out on the xantia when i next get home before i completely condem it

I did manage to almost finish my hydraflush, just need to bleed the brakes and its done!
Since the hydroflush and my tightening of some of the hydraulic unions i think the car is taking longer to sink :) (could just be me though :? )

As an aside, i could not beleive my eyes the other day when whilst as a passenger we pulled up to the traffic lights right next to a Blue citroen DS!
I was working at the time, and i think the driver thought id gone nuts, just shouting DS DS DS!

red_dwarfers
Donor 2020

Post by red_dwarfers »

The longest installation I've come across is Adobe's Creative Suite 4 Master Collection. Takes around 3 - 4 hours to install it all, not good when it needs to be rolled out to hundreds of machines :twisted:

I've seen a DS before when its been getting a bit dimpsy in the evening coming towards me on a local A road (Thankfully his side :P ) Totally unexpected and I got rather excited!

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Im going to have to look into this lexia business, ive never even seen one, neither have any of our Xms. Is it a case of just fixing things once they go wrong, a bit like the modern diagnostics which (sometimes) tell you whats wrong with it?

Will you be at any shows this year with your Xm Dave?

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

Will you be at any shows this year with your Xm Dave?
Most probably!
Although if i cant cure the suspension problem i may need a new back to go :?

Drove back to my parents about 2hrs away last night, and it was just damn painfull, the back end feels so bouncy, then bangs over every bump in the road. Reminded me of the time when the xantias plastic height adjuster bit popped off and the back went rock hard.
I thought that replacing all the rear spheres would help but seemingly not.

I did fix my rear indicator though, as the MOT is coming up, turned out a quick go with a dremel attachment to clean the bulb seat and all was fine!
For once a nice easy fix!

Still have not completed my sphere pressure tester as i need to get something that will connect 1/4 bsp to 4.5mm i think!
Hopefully ill get it done so i can bring it to shows.