900,000 mile BX !!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Brian the website I got that nugget from said it was the maximum distance. I never looked up the minimum. S'pose that figure is when we are on opposite sides of the sun. Obviously if you were going to drive there you'd set off when they were closest<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Then, by the time you got there, they wouldn't be [;)]
Anyone know best filling stations en route? [}:)] Venus has rather a lot of battery acid in its atmosphere - can you bring some back if I give you a bottle?
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Yep apparently there is a lot of sulphuric acid in it's atmosphere.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by uhn113x</i>
Then, by the time you got there, they wouldn't be [;)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I should have said set off so that they are closest by the time you intercept the planet! All academic tho[:p]
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

900,000??? that's ridiculous! must be almost a record for ANY vehicle!
so no overhaul at all? what's the compression like?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Gentle driving, good lubrication servicing and rolling down the motorway for 900,000 miles, I once read about a courier bloke who had 600,000 odd miles from a Golf Diesel, VW rebuilt the engine which only needed piston rings and seals, its possible chaps, I can imagine this forum in 2044, will those amongst us who have boosted our TDs be recording those mileages or will we be discussing the good old fuel cells (not like the modern rubbish)
Stewart
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Yeah I can well imagine the engine/gearbox doing those sort of mileages, but hey he is on his 9th bodyshell!and 45 th set of doors ;-)))
pete
________
WIKI VAPORIZER
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I remembered this post while changing my 215000 mile dead alternator this morning- is the car still going does anyone know?
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

I have heard of a Peugeot 405 taxi with several millions of miles on it - 2.5 rings a bell. It had an engine rebuild and 6 gearboxes and come to an end when some idiot crashed it.
It was apparently used non-stop doing the day shifts and then night shifts. I'm not pulling anyone's leg here and I remember being down in the garage when they were discussing it's 1.3 or 1.2 million miles.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ItDontGo</i>

I have heard of a Peugeot 405 taxi with several millions of miles on it - 2.5 rings a bell. It had an engine rebuild and 6 gearboxes and come to an end when some idiot crashed it.
It was apparently used non-stop doing the day shifts and then night shifts. I'm not pulling anyone's leg here and I remember being down in the garage when they were discussing it's 1.3 or 1.2 million miles.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
After working it out assuming 18hr days and a 10 year life span that car would have had to have done an avererage of 38mph. I'm thinking there may have been a bit of a fisherman's story creeping in there.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Nah, it's definitely not a record for all types of vehicles - Mercedes has a club for million km trucks, and there are quite a few, the "worst" I heard of had done somewhat over 5Mkm! (after all, they don't do anything else all day!)
//NiSk
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have a look at the date of the original post - have we all missed something?
Jeremy
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Here, in my country, over 90% of taxis are Mercedes and most of them go easily over 2 Million Km, being easy to find cars with 4 and 5 Million kms. Most common model is the 190D. Some of them have now over twenty years. It's easy to find other models (200D, 240D, 300D) with over 30 years. Many cars do day and night shifts.
Reliability and resistance is top-level. Mechanics is straight and cheap (hundreds of non-official garages). All spares available with low cost too.
Companies/drivers seem to run away from more recent Mercedes, since they have bags of electronics, that usually go wrong frequently and are expensive to repair (electronics spares and knowlegde just isn't available around the corner).
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

Long hot running and good maintenance are definitely the answer it seems. They say the cold start is the time most engine wear occurs.
I wonder what else wore out on the 900,000 mile BX. Gearbox, hydraulics, injector pump, injectors, etc........
Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

Jeez, and I was thinking my ZX was getting long in the tooth!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

So.... What oil and filter to use on my 38K HDi Xant to get it to last that long? - mind you i have a feeling lots of other bits will go for a (expensive) burton long before the engine and gearbox.
BTW, fessed up to the Mrs about bumper (whos a naughty boy then?) - she wasnt best pleased, but has taken great delight in telling all her girly friends what a carp driver I am.[}:)]
Jon - for your "rarity value appreciation..."
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 41667&rd=1
Go on, preserve one today![:p]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">BTW, fessed up to the Mrs about bumper (whos a naughty boy then?) - she wasnt best pleased, but has taken great delight in telling all her girly friends what a <b>carp driver</b> I am<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
A quaint North Lancs term for a fisherman!
Have you put a comfy bed in the dog-kennel, Marty? [}:)]