have all old cars gone up in value

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

As stated earlier, the reason we are in the brown (no pun intended) stuff is that too many people have been encouraged to borrow money for somethng they cant afford, and that is too bloody expensive anyway.

86% of new cars purchased in this country are manufactured abroad - exactly who's car manufacturing is getting a shot in the arm? Not this country, that's for sure.

The type of person driving around in a 10 year old car may be encouraged to trade for a new one - but you can bet he will have it for 10 years or so, therefore the scrappage scheme is'nt as productive as you would at first think.

I am not ashamed to admit the most I have paid for a car is £2500, and I have never borrowed for one - the idea of paying interest on something that depreciates horrifies me.

A few months back, I stopped to assist a 55 plate range rover sport that had broken down. The tyres on the vehicle were well worn, an array of idiot lights were lit etc. I asked the driver to crank the engine - plenty of power in the battery, but no fuel! Took him to a garage where he a bought a can and filled it with unleaded. The big V8 soon started with fuel in it (it does help).

Too many people have been living beyond their means - we have been playing financial musical chairs for 10 years and now the music has stopped! Whatever happened to saving for something you want?

Rant over, I need a lie down......
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

£2500 for a car :shock:

I paid 420 for my 1993 K reg Citroen XM V6 4 years ago, and done 40k in it!!

Lost NO money on it Im sure!! You just cannot beat it..
I agree with you, the thought of being in debt with possible job in security may just not work.. unless the thought of having an 09 car just pips the potential buyer..

It wouldn't me!! Value for money! I stuggle enough with NO debt to live let alone a car lone, more expansive insurance as its newer, Garage repairs because we CANNOT repair them OURSELFS any more.... what else...... .......

and it looks like its for MINI sized cars anyway... I hate driving Matchboxes!!!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Car prices haven't gone up as much as they should have done due to exchange rates.

I'm thinking £1000 off from Mr Brown and £1000(or £2k or £3k) more from the weak exchange rate caused by Mr Brown.

So you're not really going to be winning anything.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Unfortunately more and more people these days are unable to do even simple things such as check the tyres or the oil, so the idea of having a car without any worries (ie covered by warranty) is appealing.
They don't think that the £300 a month they're chucking away could actually just buy them another old car, or repair an old car when it breaks down.

That's £3600 a year that they could be saving up (of course like most of us they'd probably find other things to spend it on).
Buy a decent Xantia for £1000, spend maybe £500 a year on servicing, that leaves a £2100 surplus. That's a bloody good holiday it'd buy.
Keep it and the next year you're up to £5200
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
svesey
My Cars:

Post by svesey »

The scrappage scheme (as we called it at the time) worked in Ireland. It ran from about 1995 to 1999. Many people traded their bangers for budget cars at the time such as starlets ax's 106s etc. Government rebate of £1000 (pre euro days) and most manufacturers/dealers matched that with £1000 discount. You had to have the old car registered in your own name and it had to be taxed and insured in your own name for the 18 months prior to the time of purchase of the new car
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Who in the right mind wants to entertain a TINY shopping trolly box though!!

I hate small cars, they are tinny, crammped, have an awfull ride, noisey ..... and what IF you have a family that wont fit in a small car!!!!

According to that Honest John answer, the three catches dont make it too tempting...

Are there many cars that have a Co exhaust output of 150g or less??

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It'll be a cold day in hell before I give up my Xantias for a small, tinny box because of a questionable government incentive.

Paul, like you I hate small cars and dislike the very great majority of anything newish as I detest the driving position. I had the misfortune to drive a Pug 207 the other day and felt like I was trapped in a padded cell and was alarmed at the limited visibility due to the very high dash. I felt like that bloke looking over a wall. The side windows and rear window appeared to be little more than slits. Surely this is not safe even if the high dash and little windows are done in the name of safety.. I also felt extremely claustrophobic in it too.

It was such a relief to get back in my Xantia, my airly, roomy, comfy Xantia with wonderful visibilty :D

Secondly, this initiative flies right in the face of the environmental message the powers that be continually spout. It's downright hypocrisy. Scrappping cars is in no way environmentally friendly; just take a look at any breakers yard :twisted:

We are the true enviironmentalists, running our old cars, preventing them ending up in a scrapyard. And I don't believe my old 2.1TD is any dirtier than any modern diesel, judging by how many of them really do smoke when the're given a bit of throttle. Else that, they have poor old particulate filters...

I reckon it's the thin end of the wedge though and before long any car over ten years old will be banned and then, sadly, we'll be forced into what our leaders dictate. I'd rather walk :evil:

In the end it's all about big business and money and that really does niggle me.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

The Government have been daft enough to ban lightbulbs, so banning 10 year old car's would be nothing to them.

The man looking over the wall is called "Chad" by the way.

Paul
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Then THEY will have to buy my cars for me IF and when I change, because I cant and wont spend any more then 500 quid on a car!

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

My most expensive car is my current xantia at 650 squid! That was painfull enough! I have always set a limit of 800 absolute max!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I am old enough to remember the early 1990s when we were told our 1970s and 80s cars were killing the planet with their emissions and killing us with their poor safety. The solution, we were told, was to buy a new car.

I duly obeyed, though I waited a decade or so.

Now I'm being told that I am killing the planet again, but worse than that I am killing the economy. Spending money in local garages and motor factors isn't good enough. Having money left over to spend in other local businesses is simply not acceptable. No, the way to save the economy is to hand all my disposable income to a huge and inefficient corporation so that they can hand most of it to a foreign company. They must think my head buttons up the back. :evil:

I've said it before but why can't they give me £2000 towards new windows for my house? My old ones are wasting huge amounts of energy, the replacement window industry needs the work and most of the money spent on windows stays in the country.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I say we take action. Let's see how many Xantia's we can get into central London and park them all up in Whitehall.

I reckon if we filled Whitehall with Xantias the combined value of them all would be less than a new Range Rover :twisted:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

the replacement window industry needs the work
Yes, but they're small businesses that can’t afford to take the politicians to the best pub in town.
Just read on a gardening site that the termites put out much more greenhouse gases than the use of all fossil fuels.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

the_weaver wrote: The man looking over the wall is called "Chad" by the way.
That's him! Thanks Paul :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

It`s all true. The Economy has slowed down because we are not "wasting" enough money. Not wasting on new cars and subsequant depreciation. Not wasting on overpriced houses . Or on flying planes to tacky holiday resorts and coming home having spent thousands in a few weeks.

We`re not even calling out expensive builders or double glazing companies. At this rate we will all save a fortune :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2