Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

andmcit

Re: Citroenmads Citroën blog.

Post by andmcit »

FWIW Chris, the 'BL' registration makes it a Citroen Slough registered car.
My black daily driver Xm, a s2 2.5 Exclusive, is N516YBL and an older Cx GTi t1 is EBL.
Both display "Citroen UK" in red on the lower portion of their number plates.

ragger

Post by ragger »

Thought you might take the plunge, Chris. I am sure you will make a big difference to the car before too long. If you get all the mechanical/safety issues sorted I think it will be a desirable motor; I do like the idea of the TCT with LPG.

Rob

andmcit

Post by andmcit »

Is it LPG'd properly with the spare wheel carrier replacement or the version with no bootspace?

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

I do indeed Robert :lol:

Paul: I think I remember you saying about your black one, someone bought it from you and then scrapped it complete not too long after?

Thanks Jim, im sure I'll get it somewhere nearer to being right, there are many things to be getting on with but each will maker a huge difference to the car.

Mike, Im not sure fun is the word initially, but it'll be a learning curve as ever :lol: My Activa fits your bill perfectly, I shall let you know if I do decide to move it on, an idea im not liking at the moment!

Thanks Andrew, nice to know it has that bit of history to it. I know the owner before the owner I knew had bought it in 1996, it had two owners before that, so one was Citroen in that case.

That is a very good point actually, it IS the 'proper' conversion with the spare wheel mounted tank, the boot is untouched :-D Good job too as that would have seriously put me off, I like having the large boot. Good to see you on the forum again :)

It would have been a missed opportunity had I not of taken it Rob, Im hoping it'll be a good one once im finished with it. 8-)

Ive spent a bit of time doing a few bits and pieces with it today:

- Oil and filter service with an engine flush thrown in. Air filter is not available from anywhere until Thursday!

- Locks, both passenger and drivers door locks were spinning and the drivers door not locking, even when using the remote locking, the button moved down but the door was still open. The drivers door also had a key which was different to the ignition. I have swapped that lock with the passenger side lock so I can just use the one key and now all locks work after a good dose of spray inside and working many times. The drivers door also locks properly, it seems the door locks are sided and both of its door locks are for the NS. So I modified it to fit (needed a bit of filing on the mechanism arm) and it works a treat.

- Tyres, both rear tyres were totally skinned on the inner side due to them previously being on the front with the tracking toeing out by a good way. Cords would be showing if I left them any time and they were close to the markers across the tread anyway. I was going to get some part worns but prefer new so I got a pair of new Matador Elite 44s for £120 the pair, fitted and balanced. They are made by Contiental and get decent reviews, Gareth (Xantiaman) also recommended them. I'll no doubt report back on what i think to them, they look very 'rubbery' as apposed to plastic like some cheaper brands and have very deep tread. They have cured the vibration at speed which must have been the balancing/distortion of the rear tyres. Ill move the new rubber to the front, as the front has one Corsa and one Accelera (no doubt will be swapped for a matched pair of decent tyres when all else is done) with excellent tread but I dont like mismatched tyres on the driven wheels.

- Door mirror, the passenger door mirror was taped on with a few screws through it, one not doing anything, at speed it would move and Id have to reset the mirror. So I have done a slightly better bodge and put a large screw through the back and into the base plate, with no tape needed. Its solid as a rock! Ill try and find a replacement mirror sometime soon, but at least its more serviceable now.

- Spheres, It was obvious that the front corner spheres were very low on gas, as going round a bend it would cut into sport mode and would almost hop over the road. I have replaced the front corner spheres with brand new Citroen spheres and the difference is huge, the car rides so much better, sport mode can actually be used now and it can corner without bouncing off the road. Its riding much more XM like, however the rest of the spheres will be replaced or regassed pretty soon. I wanted to get the worst ones done and they have made the car so much nicer to drive and be in. I have not pressure tested the ones I took off, I will do, no doubt they are very low.

I did have a few minutes polishing the front wing and door to see how the paint would come up. It did improve things quite a bit despite only giving it a really quick going over. Im looking forward to machine polishing it, im sure it'll look 100% better.

I also did some general cleaning, fiddling and improving but that was all I had time for today and so didn't get round to sticking it on the Lexia, I might well do that tomorrow evening after work.

Another picutre of the still not fully cleaned interior, because I like it!
Some bit better pictures of it:
This is the biggest problem with the body, it'll have to be repaired at some point, though its way down the list. It'll also need the nose cone painting at the same time, probably the bumpers too! Getting it mechanically good is im really after.

Thursday I should be able to spend a bit of time doing a few things with it. Im away as of Saturday until the following Sunday, so progress will start again then with the speedo cable, getting the turbo to function and doing the rest of the spheres.

citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

We have pleanty of S1mirrors kickin about Chris... ;-)

The point about my black one i had made it identical to this one right down to lpg and tank under the floor.. fitted an 80k engine and new exhaust... makes Not want to sell one again.. when i saw this one i thought another one does still exsist.. oh well next time when you come to move it on i guess..

nice car chris!

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

citroenxm wrote:We have pleanty of S1mirrors kickin about Chris... ;-)

The point about my black one i had made it identical to this one right down to lpg and tank under the floor.. fitted an 80k engine and new exhaust... makes Not want to sell one again.. when i saw this one i thought another one does still exsist.. oh well next time when you come to move it on i guess..

nice car chris!
If you do have a good mirrors spare id gladly buy it from you. :)

I also need a few others bits and bobs for it too, if you would have any? I need the clearish plastic trim which covers the resersing lights and has the Citroen XM badge on it (mine is damaged), A OS front side light unit (mine has gone white and the cover is just about hanging on) and also an immob. key pad as mine is quite worn on its buttons. Would they be anything you have?

That does sound like a shame, however I can guarantee that this one will be improved and is saved from scrap. I didn't know you might have been serious about getting it, if I do let it go then ill let you have first refusal.

You can always have a look at its turbo issue if you wish ... :roll: :lol:

Actually im down in Shrewsbury for next week, if you do have any bits you would be happy to sell then I could pop up to see you one day? Im thinking about taking the Prestige actually, depends what I get done this week with it and how lucky/brave im feeling! Ill also be at DSM if your going?

Citroening

Post by Citroening »

Good to see you decided to go for it in the end Chris. I really like the Prestige model and it's great to see it in Black too. The Prestige that I have become custodian of is grey in colour (I'll leave it as Grey as we all started becoming anoraky on Club-XM over some colour confusion!) however I do have plans to respray it in black. Having recently fitted a replacement front wing and nosecone that are black anyway I know that it'll look lovely. Combined with the Black Leather, it's my favourite combination. 8-)

Interesting to see yours is the TCT, although sans T at that moment then! :lol: :wink: Mine's the 2.0 8V so basically the same, although it does motor along well - yours must be slow with the different compression ratios etc. Hopefully it'll be a straightforward fix.

Good luck with the project. :-D

robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

Its all right Franklin, he has a nice TCT Donor in his Xantia :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Citroening

Post by Citroening »

robert_e_smart wrote:Its all right Franklin, he has a nice TCT Donor in his Xantia :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Perfect. Chris has already parked them next to each other for the engine swap over the Bank Holiday Weekend. :-D :-D :wink:

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Im glad I went for it Franklin, it'll be a good car in the end and after having a good mooch about underneath it, its a strong one with only minimal surface rust. I'll work through its issues and get it right 8-)

I have always had my doubts over it being a TCT, its owner told me it was a Turbo but he never really drove quick enough to need it. Checking the documents show no signs of it being a Turbo model. So I almost believed it wasn't until Matthew (mtxm) had a look at it last weekend and said its definitely a turbo. It is a bit slow off the mark, which is another issue as even if the turbo was working it wouldnt cut in at such low revs anyway. So I need to look at why its turbo isnt functioning and why its slow at pulling away. Once its above 2000rpm its better, more like I would expect a normal 2.0 8v to be, however its no turbo at the moment. The EML shows itself sometimes so it knows something is not right, hopefully the Lexia session tomorrow will give me some clues.

:lol: I had not thought of that, lets just hope the Xantia doesn't annoy me too much in the next few weeks! :twisted:

I don't usually go for black cars and have not been a fan of the XM in black. However, in black with the black leather interior, black headlining and wood trim it looks great, it was part of the appeal of the car. A repray to black will be a big job, will that be happening soon? Ill take another look back at your XM blog section.

Ive not had chance to do much with the XM today, it did take me to work and back fine, about 30 miles. I must have covered around 300 miles with it since Friday evening and other than the things I know about Ive not found anything else.

I had to put in some LPG tonight, finding somewhere around here has not proven to be that easy. My local Shell did used to do it but now dont, there is a local supermarket which has it for 72.9p per litre. However I found that the local Asda, about 3 miles away has LPG for 65.9p a litre, I deal! 30 litres cost about £20, not bad! Dissapointingly the only two motorway service stations I have been to with it didn't have any.

This evening I have changed both rear corner spheres for new Citroen ones, I found some of the triple diaphragm ones in the garage still new and in boxes. I pressure tested them and they are still at the correct pressure, so they went on. I still have the centre two spheres and accumulator to change, however the centre still seem reasonable and the acc must have some pressure as it lifts the car when the engine has been turned off. Ill replace them but its riding 150% better now than it did before. Ill pressure test the 4 I took off tomorrow. Im thinking about 5-10 in the front and perhaps 15 in the rears ... we'll see.

I should have a bit of time tomorrow to do a few more things with it, Lexia is the main thing ill look at and have a mooch about to see potential turbo issue causes. Ill try and find what Paul was suggesting ...

andmcit

Post by andmcit »

Thanks for the thumbs up Chris - this rate you'll be filling barns in no time with the
bad bout of citroenitis biting...

check out the pipework for air leaks - that's the first suspect. Surely with the Activa you'd
recognise the engine bay and not need confirmation...! :lol:

Apologies for hijacking this thread but Franklin, does the 2.0i you mention have a cat fitted
- they'll shift very well (almost indecently! :twisted:) where there isn't a cat...

OMG, I just realised I'm just about to weigh in an almost complete engined TCT with a very healthy turbo... :shock:

Citroening

Post by Citroening »

Citroenmad wrote:I don't usually go for black cars and have not been a fan of the XM in black. However, in black with the black leather interior, black headlining and wood trim it looks great, it was part of the appeal of the car. A repray to black will be a big job, will that be happening soon? Ill take another look back at your XM blog section.
It'll actually be very easy Chris thankfully, as due to it being a very dark grey anyway there's zero need to do door shuts and under the bonnet is almost black as well. It'll probably get done over the Summer I suppose once some of the other projects have gone through the paintshops and got done. I look forward to getting some work done to it and making it my own, however priorities are first and need to get the others done before the XM!

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 24#p305124" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
andmcit wrote:Apologies for hijacking this thread but Franklin, does the 2.0i you mention have a cat fitted - they'll shift very well (almost indecently! :twisted:) where there isn't a cat...
Funny you should mention that as I thought it went well - it certainly surprised me for a 2.0i. I'm not 100% sure and will have to check, although I'd be confident it saying it doesn't...

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Im going to have to draw a line now, no more Citroens, until ones moves out :lol:
andmcit wrote:check out the pipework for air leaks - that's the first suspect. Surely with the Activa you'd
recognise the engine bay and not need confirmation...! :lol:

OMG, I just realised I'm just about to weigh in an almost complete engined TCT with a very healthy turbo... :shock:
Ive not had to do much digging with the Activa engine, its been faultless so far.

Hold that thought, I might need one of those! :lol:

andmcit

Post by andmcit »

How not to fit LPG:

[iImage

do'h wrong piccy #-o

What's the paint code of this very dark grey Franklin as I'd swap a mint black nsr door for the right grey...

Citroening

Post by Citroening »

I do believe that it is ETW Andrew...

Will have to 100% confirm that though on the car although I would put money on it being that...