Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

If only i had the space!! Already looks like an BCP car park outside our house!
Problem is i would have a hard time choosing which one to take to a rally!

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes Dave, that can be a problem :lol: But its a nice problem! :)

Well, ive had a very wasted weekend ...

Ive been looking for a few weeks for a car to replace my Peugeot 206 2.0HDi. This needs to be a car i can keep a few years thorugh my uni corse. My wanted list goes as follows:

- must be a reasonably large hatchback
- must have a spacious driving position
- must be refined and comfortable
- must have air con
- must be a strong safe car with ABS
- must be a diesel as i have a long commute
- not too many miles, under 80K with a good history
- preferably around 2002>
- for less than £3000

Now, this might seem like an easy brief, though im reasonably picky about cars, however im not brand loyal and would consider most makes of cars.

So this weekend ive driven over 450 miles, looked and driven various cars and came back even more confused than ever - im usually always confused as i can never make my mind up about things! :lol:

Anyway, ive had two Seat cars before, and i knew the 1.9TDi was a great lump. So i set off in search for a Seat, found a very nice Toledo (not a hatch, my first mistake) with low mileage and in good condition. That car was 100 miles away. Though on inspection i really didnt like it, the boot had a tiny opening, the seats were awful - too much lumbar support and no adjustment, quite dull to drive with a springy ride, even though it was a sporty model.

I looked at a fair few cars this weekend, possibly wanting a VW group car as im quite fond of them. However nothing fits my bill, they are either saloons, really poor value - so old for such a lot of money, not comfortable, low spec, high miles, etc etc.

Now i know £3000 isnt a lot, but as im a student its all im wanting to spend at the moment. I would have though it easy to find a car.

So, today i found one, it was a 2003, 2.0 diesel, air con, ABS, good history, hatch back, big and roomy, and im sure had i bought it i would have been banned from this forum for life :lol: Yes you can guess, it was a Ford Mundaneo. However, ive always secretly liked the look of that shape mondeo (mk3?) and thought why not, ill go and have a look. After having a good read on the appropriate forum and finding that they are possibly the most unreliable car there is, i set off ....

It looked ok, drove ok but it was not without its faults, rusty rear doors really shocked me on a 53 reg car. I also looked at an 03 and an 04 reg and all were shoiwng signs of rust on the inner edge. The 03 drove nicely actually, was very low mileage and had a good history. The price was very good, as i had beat them down and it seemed a good car. You have no idea how close i came to buying that, i think i had a lucky escape thinking about it now.

However, on the drive back home all i was thinking about was "well what else is there", as i had already discounted so many cars on reliability grounds more than anything - i like Lagunas but the 1.9DCi is shocking for reliability, and the list goes on .... Anyway, my main thought was how nice the car i had been driving all weekend was, how it fits what i want from a car perfectly, how comfortable and economical it had been and how it was actually engaging to drive on the twisty bits too and how good value they really are, especially compared to the overpriced rubbish i had been looking at, ive been driving my parents facelift C5, which ive found to be an awsome car and i cant find anything which can beat it at what it does.

Over the weekend its averaged over 54MPG, at one point i even saw 60MPG over the last 100 miles - it has two trip computer settings so you can keep one running and one for that trip or whatever.

SO, all im now left thinking is how utterly stupid i have been, seems ive cought the C5 bug without realising and a bit too late :(

A few weeks ago i was finding my C5 a bit too numb to drive, i was wanting something a little smaller and sportier. My sis was wanting a bigger and cheaper car. So we thought a swap would be a good idea. Now this has worked out extremely well for her, as she has a very good car which will no doubt be good for years of faultless motoring and she loves it. However i feel ive got the more expensive booby prize and im really not getting along with a small car, the 206, after having the C5.

So thankfully the C5 is still here, obviously, but its not mine anymore, though i do still drive it an awful lot. Its still a bit numb, however since ive had Goodyear tyres put on its much better than the squidgy michelins, it still has comfort spheres on the rear - though i have peened the hole in the sphere slightly to make it smaller i think new standard items would make it better.

However, the facelift is much improved, much more direct and much less roll, i do really enjoy driving this car. Possibly a combination of the much wider and bigger wheels, maybe stiffer anti roll bars and a different steering rack - it certainly has a much worse turning circle though. Sadly a facelift is out of my price range, maybe ill have to stretch it!

So im a total idiot :oops: and not sure what to do now, maybe a second try at a C5 is in order .... :oops: where is the rewind button hey! :oops:

Still, im sure ill find something i like at some point! Though this peugeot is driving me crazy, how does a french car manage to have no suspension! Its also far too cramped for me, when going for the clutch a few weeks ago, while doing about 40, i accidentally caught the brake too and locked the front wheels - which really woke me up! :lol:

I need car advice :roll:

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Hi Chris

Why not use the 16v XM?, it gives it some use which isnt a bad thing and you get to pocket the 3k which will pay for a lot of maintenance and fuel on the old girl?
Then of course you could pick up a nice MK2 Xantia, a 1.9td is going to have enough go in it and you are going to be getting good economy too, a lot of car for not much money.
You could of course get another C5, would a VTR not be a bit less limp and boring in the bends?

D

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Hi dean,

Thanks for that, i had thought about taking on an Xm for my daily car, still an option. Though the 2.0 is a bit thursty for my liking, around 30MPG is quite different to the 50MPG im used to daily. Though the 2.1TD is very economical .... food for thought i guess. I do around 65-85 miles most week days, so economy is high on my list. I might try the Xms out for my commute, though the only problem is my carpark permit has two reg numbers, the C5 and the 206. Id have to find alternative parking :lol:

Well thats an interesting idea, our estate is a VTR and i cant really fault how it drives, i was putting that down to revisions at facelift stage and not VTR spec, but if the earlier S1 VTRs are similar ..... I was wondering if the VTR would be stiffer, the S1 VTR has the bigger wheels like the facelift, so im thinking of trying one of those. I really liked my C5, just it wasnt engaging to drive, but the facelift i do find much better. If the S1 VTR is similar then i could be onto a winner.

Ive found some nice looking VTR S1 cars for sale on the web, so i might go and have a look at some. I know C5s are good cars and the 2.0HDi 110 is the best for reliability, so it might be worth me looking at one. Id certainly have another C5. :)
Last edited by Citroenmad on 08 Nov 2009, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

So you may be tempted by something like this then http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-C5-Vtr-Hd ... 3a4fb95bc1

D

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, that seems the closest one to me too, nice colour also. I might pop down and have a look if i get time this week. Thats the kind of thing im wanting.

There is a 1.6HDi facelift for the same price, 88K miles but the LX spec. Would be worth a look if it wasnt 250 miles away!

Im best to keep to Citroens i think, nothing beats them :D

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

I think you could get rather fed up with the 1.6, they dont have much go do they, well i didnt think so anyway, economy is obviously a major factor with any daily use car but the 2.0 does pretty well in that department as you obviously know.
Let us know what you think of the Vtr though chris i have not driven one and would be interested to know if it feels a bit more competent and responsive.

D

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Ive not driven the 1.6HDi, ive heard good thing about them though, from their owners. Although ive also heard they can be underpowered, though its still the same BHP as the 2.0HDi 110 but with slightly less torque.

I do like the earlier 2.0HDi as they are usually most reliable and have less to go wrong, no FAP filter no eoyls fluid etc. Economy is good and i dont find it slow but a remap would be a nice addition i might think about.

I dont like the fact that turbos can be a little prone on the 1.6HDi.

Think im better off with a very good late 2.0HDi S1 rather than a higher mileage facelift 1.6HDi.

I hope to go down and see this red VTR tomorrow. Im interested to see how it drives. I do like the drive of the VTR estate facelift version, thought im not sure if these improvements are down to the facelift or the VTR spec, maybe a bit of both. The wider wheels certainly help, which this red S1 VTR has.

So ill see, looks to be a very good car going by the details, full dealer history, reasonable mileage, nice late model VTR with climate - some VTRs dont have that.

Ill see how i get on tomorrow :)

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Well here is a bit of a car situatuion up date again ...

I was interested in that red VTR C5, however i put the cars details in the dvla site which showed me it had not been taxed since march this year. SO i thought that was a bit odd and wasnt really interested after that point. I rang to find out why and the dealer gave me a story along the lines of - they have a huge warehouse full of cars, when stock is getting low they go and get another one out - now how many dealers do that! It just didnt add up so i didnt even bother going to see that one.

So since then ive been again looking at other cars, looking at what fits my needs and wants and whats within my budget but is reliable and reasonably modern.

Anyway, just as i was about to leave the house this morning to go and view a Peugeot 406 HDi, i found a very nice 04plate C5 VTR about 25 miles away. So i went there instead. I was interested in th late S1 VTR models as i found the early examples very vague to drive but the VTR facelift we have is much much better and handles well for a large car, much more steering feel and a more composed ride, yes its harder but i like it that way.

So i wondered if the late S1 VTRs had the same suspension set up as the VTR facelifts, being tighter to drive and a more controlled suspension than the earlier S1 cars. This 2004 S1 VTR feels just like the facelift to drive, so im very pleased as its a much nicer car to drive for that reason, you feel more involved and its much more communicative than the earlier ones.

It also has a few of the facelift features, such as the 16" alloys with huge 215/55/16 V tyres, rear wiper on the hatch back which will be handy.

So i did the deal, which im very pleased with the price too. Its a 2004 04 reg 2.0HDI 110 VTR Hatchback with 67K miles, fsh, 2 owners and finished in unmarked bright silver metallic with the nice blue interior special to the later VTR models. Its got a years MOT but i need to tax it, as it has disabled tax on it.

I also need to get it a pair of tyres very soon too, which im not looking forward too, just priced up some michelins for it and they are £135 EACH! Will have to shop around. Im getting the car on monday all being well, so i need to get my insurance changed so i can get the docs sorted ready to tax it.

So thats another C5 living here now, up to 3! Mind as i said, i cant find anything i like more or anything which is as good as what it does either and ive looked at, driven and thought about buying so many cars recently, im very pleased ive found what ive been looking for :)

Chris.

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Hi Chris

Glad you tracked something down your happy with, watch out for the car being registered for disabled use though the dvla can drag their feet alot on this and ive been caught out having to wait weeks to be able to tax the thing, i got a pair of P zero-nero's on 215 45 17's at £90 a piece fitted which i thought was fairly cheap and they perform well for the price.....i wouldnt use michelins now though, i dont think you get value for money out of them.

Photos?? i know you like a good photo :lol:

D

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Hmm i had not thought about that, ill go to the local DVLA office on tuesday and ask about the tax, its currently not taxed as the disabled use got transferred to the previous owners new car. So hopefully it will be ok but thanks for letting me know. I also need to swap my private reg over while im there too. Though they are lovely people at the DVLA office, so very unhelpful :?

Im getting the car delivered on monday, i bought it from a tiny trader who seems to deal in main dealer part-ex cars on the side of his day job from his home. Anyway he is going to drive it down here on trade plates and ill run him back home. So im in no real rush for the road tax, so long as it doesnt take too long, as i need to sell my 206 and i want to drive my new car.

I was thinking about some Pirellis actually, and i agree with you about michelins, i wouldnt buy those again. Ive not been impressed with their grip and the price is not justified by their performance, in my opinion.

Oh have you noticed, i do like a picture or two :roll: They will follow on tuesday once i get it 8)

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Well i got to the DVLA office yesterday after waiting all week for my insurance documents to come through so i could tax the car. I didnt have a problem taxing it so ive been using my C5 VTR since yesterday.

Anyway, ive had a busy day with my new C5 today, it was slightly overdue a service so that was my main priority for today. I put some forte oil flush in this morning as i drove around to get the bits i needed, oil, filter, air filter, fuel filter, so that the flush was doing its job.

Did the service, sorted out a few bits and pieces, squeeking doors, side light bulb etc and then set about fitting the mudflaps which i have got from ebay. I could only find the rear set so ill have to keep on looking for the front pair. Not that they do much but i prefer them with mudflaps for looks. While i had the wheels off to fit the mudflaps i swapped the wheels front to back, which has sorted out a very slight wheel wobble, will be needing some new tyres for it soon, as its michies are getting worn. Just need to get its indicator issue sorted now.

Im amased at how clean and tidy the car is, there are no dinks or dents, no scuffs or scrapes, even the bumpers are untouched. It must have had a very careful owner, as ive had a very good look over it and i all looks original. Only minor marks is a scruffed alloy. Either that or C5s have very hard paint.

Ive only done 150 miles with it so far, but its going very nicely, certainly handles better than the earlier SX. Not sure if thats because Citroen changed something with the suspension/bushes etc on later cars or perhaps because its a VTR, im not sure, but its much more suited to bends :lol:

Pictures will hopefully follow tomorrow after ive given it a wash, its dirty already!

On other news, the red Xm estate is in to be painted in the same shade of red again. Dont know who managed to get it so wrong but it should be back to looking like new again soon.

The C15 is now in winter hibernation in a neighbours garage, to preserve it from the elements at this time of year.

Ill be sad to see the white Xm go, but that will be for sale very soon if anyone is interested. It would be very nice for it to go to someone who is going to look after it, as its a great car.

Cant be many homes with 3 C5?

Chris.

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

I gave the C5 a quick clean at the weekend and took a few pictures before it got dirty again, so here they are:

There is quite a difference between driving this VTR and driving the SX, i wouldnt have thought there would be so much difference between each C5. The VTR is much happier to go around corners, grip seems to be better too. Though it doesnt ride quite as well as the SX the handling more than makes up for it, the suspension is more controlled too, there seems to be more damping.

Anyway, im enjoying the car, its just what ive been looking for for months now. Just need to get its indicator issue sorted and it will be perfect.

Chris.

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Well we have had a productive day with my dads traction today. Its still in the process of being rebuilt after a big end bearing went 3 years ago. Mainly not having the time and bits slowed things down. The engine went back together last year but it wouldnt start, so it had to be taken apart and more new bits. Eventually we got the engine built back up and running, however it had a very bad oil leak. Which took a while to solve. Anyway today we fitted some more new bits and ran it.

It runs very nicely, in fact i dont remember it ever sounding this nice. We first ran it for a miunute or so without the gearbox and clutch fitted, as the oil leak was from around that area, and no radiator. It was running fine with no leaks so we put the radiator on and let it run up to temperature, all seems fine now and doesnt appear to be leaking oil. The hydraulics still appear fine too, though we will check the spheres and pipes.

Its been very interesting for me to help with it as i am slowly picking up knowledge, luckily my dad knows what he is doing.

It lives in a garage right next to the house which also has the boiler in, so its always nice and warm for it!

So the plan is to get up early tomorrow, get the gearbox and clutch back on. Give it another test and get the bodywork put back on the car.

Then the brakes need taking apart as they have been stood for a while, hydraulics need checking and other finishing bits then it will be going for its MOT.

Storage has been a big problem these past 3 years, all of the bits off the traction are verywhere. Each wing is so huge its hard finding somewhere to put them where they wont be in the way or get damaged, same with the bonnets, grill and bumper. So the bits have been living in the other cars, mainly the van and sometimes the Xms too. (see there is a method in our madness to having so many cars, storage!) so the C15 has had very very little use these past few years too, as its full of stuff. Though i had managed to put everything in there to keep the Xms free to use.

Hopefully we will have a good day tomorrow and get a lot done with it. Its been off the road far too long now.

Here are a few pictures from 2 months ago:

Chris.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Wow! That is one cool Traction Chris and looking lovely too 8)

I do believe that's a 15H with hydropneumatic rear suspension. It must be a very rare car in the UK. Is it Slough-built or French?

What a treasure! If I had it I'd keep it in the house :lol:

Bet GSF don't stock spheres for it :wink: Is it running LHM or the old LHS fluid in the suspension?