Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Northern_Mike

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
myglaren wrote:Parmo's.

Never heard of them and only live 20 miles from Chris.
I rather like the sound of them :-D
Its a bit like a heart attack in a cardboard box :shock:

Another Northeast tradition is stottie cakes, they are not bad!
Stottie cakes. My great aunt used to make them. She lived on Shakespeare Avenue (or crescent?) in Darlington, my grandad was from the North East.

Same as a barm cake from Lancashire where I'm from really..
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

I’ve been treating the Exclusive today. Richard mentioned that the tyres were about due for replacement. He was not wrong there, the rear tyres were 10 year old Michelins, with the NSR being at about 2mm and both cracking up. The fronts are 3mm Dunlops, so are good for a little while longer.

I shopped around to find a good price on some Michelins and got a local tyre place to match it. I got a pair of Michelin Energy Saver+ for £170 fitted and balanced. I usually go with Michelins, after trying many different brands on Citroens I have came to the conclusion that they suit the cars best. I have fitted Energy Savers to our eldest C5, the XM and now this and my C5 also wears Michelins. I've swapped the Dunlops to the rear and put the new Michelins up front. I know some say you should fit new tyres to the rear but I have other thoughts. The Michelins have already made a difference, even on the short test drive. The steering feel is better and it rides the bumps better too.

Ill replace the rear Dunlops before too long, once I get a bit of use from them and my wallet recovers from buying cars, tyres etc :lol:

Swapping the wheels about gave me some time to check the brakes and things. The brakes are all good, front discs are a bit lippy but they will do many miles yet.. The car is in superb condition on the underside with less rust than many two year old cars! I took the chance to give the wheel arches, in particular the rears, a good cleaning out and rust preventing. I got a load of dust and mud out from the arches, all trapped in places which will store moisture. I also removed the rear mudflaps and cleaned behind the arch liners. I plan on getting some waxoil type stuff and treating it very soon. I have cleaned up the rear mudflaps and refitted them, which looks better as the NSR was not on straight and was missing a clip, which I have spares for. Before I refitted the wheels I gave them a good clean up and polish, they are sparkling now 8-)

Im itching to get it machine polished, hopefully I'll have a free day soon to do that.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:I’ve been treating the Exclusive today. Richard mentioned that the tyres were about due for replacement. He was not wrong there, the rear tyres were 10 year old Michelins, with the NSR being at about 2mm and both cracking up. The fronts are 3mm Dunlops, so are good for a little while longer.

I shopped around to find a good price on some Michelins and got a local tyre place to match it. I got a pair of Michelin Energy Saver+ for £170 fitted and balanced. I usually go with Michelins, after trying many different brands on Citroëns I have came to the conclusion that they suit the cars best.
I think the V6 has Michelins on the front. Can't remember, and it's at home at the moment. I agree with you. I drove both cars in the wet today and wasn't hanging about - for research purposes, and the HDi slithers about on those Sunteks. They're fine in the dry, but not great in the wet when at speed.
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:I’ve been treating the Exclusive today. Richard mentioned that the tyres were about due for replacement. He was not wrong there, the rear tyres were 10 year old Michelins, with the NSR being at about 2mm and both cracking up. The fronts are 3mm Dunlops, so are good for a little while longer.

I shopped around to find a good price on some Michelins and got a local tyre place to match it. I got a pair of Michelin Energy Saver+ for £170 fitted and balanced. I usually go with Michelins, after trying many different brands on Citroëns I have came to the conclusion that they suit the cars best.
I think the V6 has Michelins on the front. Can't remember, and it's at home at the moment. I agree with you. I drove both cars in the wet today and wasn't hanging about - for research purposes, and the HDi slithers about on those Sunteks. They're fine in the dry, but not great in the wet when at speed.
Yes, the V6 does have Michelins up front. I like them, they grip well in the wet and dry, they give a comfortable ride, wear well and are quiet. A very well made tyre and after having quite a few sets on various cars I have never had a problem. Unlike with Goodyears, Dunlops and Firestones, which I have had build quality issues with. I generally stick to Michelins when I can.

However I have not put Michelins on the Activa, I did have them and still have the pair of wheels with them fitted, but they were just too soft in the sidewall for its cornering. Ive got Conti Premiumcontact2s up front and Pirelli P7s on the rear, the P7s suit Activas well as they have quite a stiff sidewall but they are no longer available now.

For all other normal Citroens, I like Michelins, among other reasons they seem to compliment the ride quality. Only the Activa and the C15 dont wear them, the rest all have at least a front pair :roll:

I always rate a tyre on wet grip and in my opinion these are among the best. I just wish they did the Primacy HP in the Activas size so it had a stronger wall.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:
Rattiva_Mike wrote:

Yes, the V6 does have Michelins up front. I like them, they grip well in the wet and dry, they give a comfortable ride, wear well and are quiet. A very well made tyre and after having quite a few sets on various cars I have never had a problem. Unlike with Goodyears, Dunlops and Firestones, which I have had build quality issues with. I generally stick to Michelins when I can. .
I've had problems with Goodyears too. The Matadors on the Berlingo are actually very good too. I like them. They seem to grip well wet or dry, though with 90BHP it's no performance car.

What I have found interesting is that the P6000s on the rear of the V6 grip well. This is interesting, because on both other cars I had them on, they were lethal in the wet.
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

Get yourself some bilt hamber products Chris for the exclusive , I've been very impressed with the products I've used . Get some dynax S50 in the big aerosol cans and they come supplied with 2ft long lances with fan nozzles which are perfect for the inside of the sills . A great range of products and they always do very well in tests with comparable products . I used a can of S50 which did both Zx sill cavities and I've got some dynax uc ( semi clear ) underbody wax for around the jacking points and any underbody areas etc .

Mark
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Rattiva_Mike wrote: I've had problems with Goodyears too. The Matadors on the Berlingo are actually very good too. I like them. They seem to grip well wet or dry, though with 90BHP it's no performance car.

What I have found interesting is that the P6000s on the rear of the V6 grip well. This is interesting, because on both other cars I had them on, they were lethal in the wet.
Ive had Goodyears distort, wear very badly/unevenly exposing different looking rubber as they wore down. Ive also had them create odd vibrations through the steering wheel when turning the wheel and pulling to the left. All down to badly made tyres.

Yes, I was impressed with those Matadors I put on the Prestige. They are made by Continental, another brand I like.

I think the P6000s, despite looking as they always have, got a slight revamp in rubber compound. The then marketed them as the P6000 Powergy and they do seem to be far superior to the older versions, which were often described as wooden. Ive had the Powergy P6000s on a few XMs and have always found them to be ok, not the best but not leathal. Your V6 has the later style P6000s on the rear.
bxzx16v wrote:Get yourself some bilt hamber products Chris for the exclusive , I've been very impressed with the products I've used . Get some dynax S50 in the big aerosol cans and they come supplied with 2ft long lances with fan nozzles which are perfect for the inside of the sills . A great range of products and they always do very well in tests with comparable products . I used a can of S50 which did both Zx sill cavities and I've got some dynax uc ( semi clear ) underbody wax for around the jacking points and any underbody areas etc .

Mark
Thanks Mark, I'm going to look into that stuff and its probably what I will get.

Edit: Just been looking on their website, it sounds good! Im going to order some and see what I think. I guess I'll have a few cars to do once I get started, certainly both Xantias.
Xantianut

Post by Xantianut »

Ay up!

I used to use Avon Turbospeeds on my BXs. Found they wore well, gave superb grip in the wet or dry and were nice and quiet.

Sadly, they're hard to find these days so I use Naffski Rubber Co. The Fate-O ones (195 x 15) on my Xantia are the best of the bunch and only a little behind the Avons. Funny thing, I got a set on the BX and they were Horrible!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Chris, you won't be disappointed with the Michelin Energys. I love 'em on the Activa...
Xantianut wrote:The Fate-O ones (195 x 15) on my Xantia are the best of the bunch
I had a part of those on my V6. Gone now and good riddance. They were bloody awful. Mind you. they were perished and cracked rather than worn out!
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

CitroJim wrote:Chris, you won't be disappointed with the Michelin Energys. I love 'em on the Activa...
Xantianut wrote:The Fate-O ones (195 x 15) on my Xantia are the best of the bunch
I had a part of those on my V6. Gone now and good riddance. They were bloody awful. Mind you. they were perished and cracked rather than worn out!
I've always been impressed by the Michelins, well worth the money in my opinion.

I could never get along with a tyre called Fate :lol: Neither Triangles, Linglongs or Heros. No matter how good they were (actually they are all shocking) its the name! One of our XMs had Fate tyres on, they disintegrated :shock: You get what you pay for! :P
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

Chris you'd have a good laugh walking around my cars and looking at the tyres. I couldn't tell you what brands any of them are, they're the last thing I look at when buying a car - as long as the tread is good, I'm happy!
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

R9UKE wrote:Chris you'd have a good laugh walking around my cars and looking at the tyres. I couldn't tell you what brands any of them are, they're the last thing I look at when buying a car - as long as the tread is good, I'm happy!
I would Luke :lol: They are a high priority to me, if I buy a car and the tyres are not what I would like then they get binned pretty soon. I like the grip and reasurance of a good tyre, they make or break a car in my opinion. It might be that I tend to really press on, especially if I'm on my own in the car. So grip, especially in the wet, is a very high priotiry. I would never forgive myself if I got into an accident just because my tyres were cheapy ones made from liquorish! :lol:

I have had some cars which I would just avoid driving if it was wet. The Peugeot 1007 we had was fitted with some Nexen CP641's, a dreadful tyre for wet grip, it did not insire confidence so I only drove it on good days. That car was made even more intesting in the wet by its gearbox. If going around a bend quickly in the wet and it decided to change gear, its long pause of a gear change resulted in a back off from the throttle, so the back would step out. Not great when you just want to get from A-B without having a four wheel drift. So they were binned for some Avon ZV-3s, it transformed the car.

However Luke, if I went though as many cars as you, tyres would be lower down on my list :lol:
R9UKE

Post by R9UKE »

The words "quickly", "corner" and "Peugeot 1007" have never, ever been used in the same sentence before Chris, that's a world first!! :lol:

You're absolutely right though. My Meg had some rubbish on the front when I got it. It would wheel spin really easily when pulling away in wet weather, the difference good rubber makes is pretty incredible.

Citroenmad wrote:However Luke, if I went though as many cars as you, tyres would be lower down on my list :lol:
My problem is giving the keepers the love and money they deserve instead of buying more. I'll get to grips with it one day!
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

R9UKE wrote:The words "quickly", "corner" and "Peugeot 1007" have never, ever been used in the same sentence before Chris, that's a world first!! :lol:
Actually, for a tall car it cornered flat and the steering was very direct and responsive. It would do lift off oversteer too, though I never trusted it as it was pretty tall :lol:

Its more wet cornering grip I look for, understeer is a very depressing thing :lol:

I can confirm that these Michelin Energy Savers on the HDi are very good, a bit of spirited driving on damp roads this evening has impressed :-D The car drives great too, I swear estates always handle better, I think they have stiffer anti roll bars.
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

I could not resist the temptation to see how the HDi would turn out after a machine polish. So I set about having a go at the bonnet and front wings, finished with a layer of wax. Im quite surprised at the transformation, gone are the swirls and light scratches, the paintwork looks so much better and brighter.

My pictures are pretty hopeless, my camera has broken so I just have my phone until its fixed. The weather was not on my side for decent pictures of shiny paintwork either!

Hopefully I'll get chance over the weekend to do the rest of the car. I shall be taking some much better photos of the car then.

After that I'll concentrate on rust preventative measures ready for the winter.

Im going to change the rear wiper arm as being an early S2 estate it has an the old style rear wiper arm which has pealing black paint. So I have the more modern one on order. It looks just like a Saxo rear wiper, a full plastic arm.

Today the registration for Richard plate came through, so it is now back on its original number plates.

Ive been using the Exclusive daily since I picked it up, its great, im totally smitten with it :-D