Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

andmcit

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by andmcit »

I love bridges too - guess it may have something to do with coming from Newcastle,
there's plenty of bridges there without having Middlesbrough's too!
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Steve, you should make a point of going over the Transporter :) I use it every other month or so as it can be quite handy. You used to be able to walk over the very top when they had an open day on, im not sure if they still do that, I dont have a head for heights :lol:
andmcit wrote:I love bridges too - guess it may have something to do with coming from Newcastle,
there's plenty of bridges there without having Middlesbrough's too!
There are plenty of bridges! I go over the Tyne bridge six times a week, which when you look at it is a very integrated structure which intrudes close to some very old City buildings. I do like the small swing brigde which I use occasionally just because I like it. As it goes, bridges are quite interesting.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I should indeed, passed it every weekend for fifteen years and every weekend said "next week" :(
ragger

Post by ragger »

Trivia question: which band from the early seventies or maybe late sixties produced an album related to Newcastle's bridges called The 5 Bridges Suite? No Googling and no prizes!

Rob
andmcit

Post by andmcit »

No idea but I was going to ask which car is sitting at the bottom of the Tyne
- possibly with the body of a girl in the boot? ;)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

ragger wrote:Trivia question: which band from the early seventies or maybe late sixties produced an album related to Newcastle's bridges called The 5 Bridges Suite? No Googling and no prizes!

Rob
Sort of apropos that - in a rather disjointed way, my daughter just emailed me that this lot are on tour now:

There are of course six bridges now and my grandson (Lennie) thought the millennium bridge was called the Lennie bridge.

Your question Andrew stirs a vague memory. May take some time to mature though.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:my grandson (Lennie) thought the millennium bridge was called the Lennie bridge.
Aww bless :-D I bet he was really proud to have a bridge named after him Steve!
andmcit

Post by andmcit »

May help jog the memory Steve. :-D
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

CitroJim wrote:Goodness knows why but I really love bridges of all sorts...
You definitely need to get your self north of the border then Jim!!

A trip over the Forth road bridge, admiring the rail bridge in its newly painted splendour, then a trip on the rail bridge, admiring the road bridge. Founds are going in for the new Forth crossing which is an impressive looking cable stayed jobbie. Then there's the new and old Kincardine bridges just up the road, the Erskine bridge the other side of Glasgow, the Tay and Kessock bridges up the East side, and then the Skye bridge which seems impossibly high when you approach. A bridge lover's fest! Oh, and they're all free now after Scottish Government tore up the charging agreements - the week after they opened £1M worth of new toll booths at the FRB #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote: You definitely need to get your self north of the border then Jim!!
I certainly do Richard, that lot is a bridge lovers delight :-D

One I do really want to see is the Glenfinnan viaduct on the West Highland Railway...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

andmcit wrote:Image

May help jog the memory Steve. :-D
Sorry Andrew, nothing registering but WAG "Get Carter"?
andmcit

Post by andmcit »

Spot on!

And that's a Sunbeam Alpine. My father has x3 of these which is why
I haven't forgotten the scene where it's pitched into the Quayside!

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

andmcit wrote: ... which car is sitting at the bottom of the Tyne ...? ... a Sunbeam Alpine ....
Hmm, Im guessing it only exists in memory now, doubt there is much left of that! :lol:

Apparently there has been many people drive off the transporter bridge (some on purpose!), so no doubt before long we will just be able to drive across on the roof-tops of sunken cars :roll:

Steve, if you do get to go across, make sure your doors are locked and dont be hanging about for too long if its dark, you may gain a passenger! :lol:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

No plans to go that way for a while. Should have gone down for my brother's birthday but didn't so will be another year away probably.
chopper602

Post by chopper602 »

Citroenmad wrote:
andmcit wrote:
Steve, if you do get to go across, make sure your doors are locked and dont be hanging about for too long if its dark, you may gain a passenger! :lol:
or lose the car !

You can't actually walk all the way across the top of the Transporter any more. You can climb the steps to see the view, but the stairs don't exist on the Port Clarance side anymore - shame!