Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

vince

Re: Citroenmads Citroen blog.

Post by vince »

Im jealous Chris...always fancied a V6 :wink:

You cleaning her up for the CXM?

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

vince wrote:Im jealous Chris...always fancied a V6 :wink:

You cleaning her up for the CXM?
Your welcome to a drive in it when i see you :)

I really hope to but it depends how things go, I still need to get the machine polisher etc.
superloopy wrote:And ... i've got an S2 Activa (cream leather) and an S2 V6 both in Silex Grey, 'tis the best colour by far IMO. Nice looking S1 Chris (you'll need to give me instructions about that slip ring as mine has only just come up with 'airbag fault' this morning would you believe, there's a coincidence) :wink:
Very nice! I really like the grey colour and it really suits a Xantias shape. I can not wait to get it all polished up 8-)

The slip ring is easy to change. Battery off for 20 minutes, air bag off (one of the fiddly bits is finding the screws through the back of the wheel), wheel off, steering column plastics off and there you got. Getting the wires uncliped inside the column is a bit tight but manageable. Took me about 45 minutes.

andmcit

Post by andmcit »

I can't separate my Activa and v6 as, like I mentioned elsewhere earlier, a favourite can depend on which was driven last and how successful and enjoyable the journey was dependant on other road users and road condition / weather etc.

I'd say they're both keepers and very much exactly because of their differing characteristics and personalities - I'm certain
steering feel as well as the engine can make such a significant difference in what could be lazily described as the same car!

I think a well sorted Activa is the best but then I'd love to have that v6 power and ever so clever autobox - Hattershaun
is a very lucky guy to have such a car - as far as balance and weight, the v6 has got to be heavier at the front end - there's
so much more going on and try lifting the autobox!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Goodness me Chris, you didn't hang about swapping the steering rotary :-D =D>

You'll find the V6 is significantly better on fuel than the Activa but not if you enjoy the sport button too much! There's not a lot of difference in economy on a good run but around town the V6 wins...

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

You have got yourself a beauty there Chris , I'm sure it will look even better when you've had some time with it . The V6 Xantia is certainly a car I could take to myself , this has got me thinking again :cry:

Mark

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Citroenmad wrote:So here goes, my blog entry for my 1997 3.0 V6 Xantia Exclusive :-D 8-)
To fill in a potted history of this car...

It was first registered, I believe on 1 August 1997, by Citroen head office. It apparently never had a dealer pre-delivery check, as it was never entered on the dealer network computer system.
Other than the stamps in the book, all history was lost before I bought it in April 2004 at 61,000 miles.
I found it on ebay, being sold by a fairly undesirable backyard dealer. When I collected it it was quite a bit scruffier than described (most of the blemishes on the paintwork and panels were already present then).
I subsequently learned that the timing belt had been done at about 60,000 miles.
For 18 months or so I used it on a 100 mile daily round trip up and down the M11, which put the mileage up fairly quickly.
The heater matrix and radiator were replaced at some point.
At 140,000 miles the timing belt was changed again, with water pump, tensioner and idlers.
At 150,000 miles the transmission had an 'episode' that is documented in Jim's blog. A diff output bearing seized, a shard of steel worked backwards through the oilways to the oil pump, destroying the pump input bearing.
In the last 4 years a lot of miles have been done on regular trips from Cambridgeshire to Burgundy, cruising on the Autoroutes at 90MPH for hours on end.
The cam blocks were resealed last year.
In the last 6 months, the A/C condenser, front wheel bearings, P bushes and front ABS sensors have been replaced.
It probably needs the RH inner ball joint replaced, and the catalytic converter only passes MOT when it is good and hot (the engine itself is fine).
I sacrificed it to Jim at 194,000 miles after finding another one in better condition.
Most of the time it was my only daily driving car, and it served as a workhorse, delivering building material and taking away rubble through about 3 house renovations. I am very pleased to see it surviving and appreciated still.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, they're the Mangy Cours Mike. Lovely wheels, the best in fact but a pain to keep clean...

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Was that (^) deliberate Jim? :-D :-D

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: Was that (^) deliberate Jim? :-D :-D
Might have been... :lol:

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

andmcit wrote:I'd say they're both keepers and very much exactly because of their differing characteristics and personalities
Im thinking this might be what happens 8-)
CitroJim wrote:Goodness me Chris, you didn't hang about swapping the steering rotary :-D =D>

You'll find the V6 is significantly better on fuel than the Activa but not if you enjoy the sport button too much! There's not a lot of difference in economy on a good run but around town the V6 wins...
I thought I would crack on with it Jim, start as I mean to go on and that ... :lol:

I find with the V6s nature its very easy to just potter about and enjoy the car and smoothness. Whereas the Activa brings out my worst side and encourages a more spirited drive. Dont get me wrong, the V6 is not going to waste :roll:
bxzx16v wrote:You have got yourself a beauty there Chris , I'm sure it will look even better when you've had some time with it . The V6 Xantia is certainly a car I could take to myself , this has got me thinking again :cry:

Mark
I doubt you would regret it Mark, Im liking mine more and more each time I drive it.
xantia_v6 wrote: To fill in a potted history of this car...
Thanks for all of that info Mike, its good to know and very helpful. :) I best be thinking about getting the timing belt done sometime soon too. I like the idea of of it being a high mileage and use model, it must have been a pretty reliable car to get so much use.

It is still a very much appreciated car and it will be looked after. I also plan to keep it in regular use. 8-)

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I wouldn't panic about the timing belt, the life is said to be 80,000 miles. You should fit a new (C5 style) tensioner, as the one that is on there has a broken tension indicator and is fiddly (to say the least) to set up.

The car has indeed proved to be very dependable, only failing to get me to my destination on one occasion due to a broken LHM return hose. It has had its moments with various electrical gremlins (now fixed).

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

I might well leave the timing belt a while longer in that case, since it has only done 55K. Thanks for that :)

Ive used the V6 for work and pottering about today, 70 or so miles, its a joy to drive :)

andmcit

Post by andmcit »

I found growing an understanding of the autobox (and it learning how I abused it) took a little while to get
my head around as it always seemed very busy after driving the more conventional PITA stepped changes
governed by the speed of travel. Once I grew more relaxed the combo of engine box totally won over a real
anti auto sceptic. These can be silky smooth and docile but scare the bejaysus out of crappy souped up tea
trolleys. I'd suggest the Xantia is the very last of the svelte Citroens before everything got all bloated and
heavy and N-CAP'd up so the V6 engine in yours wound have an advantage over that C5 you met bringing
yours home?

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

andmcit wrote:I found growing an understanding of the autobox (and it learning how I abused it) took a little while to get
my head around as it always seemed very busy after driving the more conventional PITA stepped changes
governed by the speed of travel. Once I grew more relaxed the combo of engine box totally won over a real
anti auto sceptic. These can be silky smooth and docile but scare the bejaysus out of crappy souped up tea
trolleys. I'd suggest the Xantia is the very last of the svelte Citroëns before everything got all bloated and
heavy and N-CAP'd up so the V6 engine in yours wound have an advantage over that C5 you met bringing
yours home?
Your quite right Andrew. The box is a little strange at first when used to the normal one found in our previous XMs, however it is much better.

I think the V6 ina C5 has a little more power? Though its weight will probably be more and they wont handle so well either.

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

To the Xantias bodywork then:

It is interesting what results can be had from a bit of elbow grease ...:
The Xantia V6s rather faded bootlid:

During some polishing, compare the other half!:

After:

Its much better than it was but its still a way off. I was going to get it repainted as it looked so bad, however as it is now its much better and although it will never be perfect it should get a little better with a bit more polishing.

However I did have the help of this little lot:

I have finally splashed out on a rotary machine polisher and goodies. I was very impressed with the results I got when Vince lent me his rotary and this Xantia will really benefit from a good polishing up. I didn't have time to do too much with it today but I wanted to see how the bootlid would react. It took a good amount of time to get it like that and it will need more but the difference is very impressive. Hopefully over the weekend Ill set a day aside to do the whole car to have it looking better for CXM. I did do the rear wings and they came up very well, its turning a very nice colour.

I went to a place near Newcaste today to see what they would recommend I get. I took the V6 and showed them the bootlid so I could get some advice on bringing it back up. They were very helpful and reasonably priced too.

So this has cut down the need for too much bodywork to be done. There is some odd paint spray touchups around the OS rear wheel arch and bumper, which will probably have to be painted at some point but the bootlid will probably be left with its original paint now it has came up. Im looking forward to seeing the result when I have machined all of it, it'll only be my second attempt but it should look much better.

The V6 itself is impressing, both me and everyone who has been in it so far. Ive done about 400 and something miles with it so far and its a joy, any journey in it is a real treat. :)

Im taking the Activa for its MOT tomorrow, hopefully that will go well [-o<