Rumbling/Grinding Noise

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Rumbling/Grinding Noise

Post by evilally »

Hi guys,

My 405 has started making a slight rumbling/grinding noise at speed, in particular when right hand lock is applied. I'm assuming it's a wheel bearing? It's been like this for 2-3k now. I looked at the Haynes, and it looks a right pain to change. Is there an easier way for a poorly equiped novice to do this job? Or is it off to a garage for me?

Cheers,

Ally
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Ally,

No, unless you can exert a force of five or six tons with your fingers to press the old bearings out!

After years of rust, the BoL method of using washers, sockets and a vice will not work and in fact is bloody dangerous. The last (205) ones I did took seven tons of pressure to relese them so sadly, a hydraulic press is essential for the job. You might get the old races out using the old MiG weld trick but you're still faced with the problem of pressing the new ones in and any other method bar a hydraulic press poses a risk of damaging the new bearings.

One tip is to take the hubs right out and carry them and the new bearings to a local indy and ask them to press out the old ones and press in the new ones. This, they should do for beer money if you are lucky.

Alternatively, if you are near me, my press is available FOC.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Thanks for the offer Jim, but I'm not near you. How much is this going to skin me? Is this something I should get done asap?

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

I had a rear bearing fail on my Golf which left me with three wheels in the middle lane of the M6 doing 80.
I don't leave a rumbling bearing any more!
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
sparky33

Post by sparky33 »

I think you had more than a failed wheel bearing there lol.

As it's happening mainly on lock I'd be more likely to suspect the outer CV
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the mig trick wont work on these wheel bearings as they are of a double bearing ion one unit, so there is a lot of metal making contact against the hub, i have removed front wheel bearings with a dead outter race a very large socket some blocks of wood and a big club hammer,

once its out it is possible to wind the new one in with either a large vice or a length of threaded bar, and some large thick washers, or a couple of thick plates of steel, or even some sections of old bearings, it is also a sod of a job to get the old circlip out as it dont have eyes at each end to get hold of

regards malcolm

ps.
were abouts are you
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I'm in the Glasgow area. I was under the car today and had a good pull and tug at all the bits 'n' bobs and there's no play in anything. It's not noticeable under 50mph. If I knew for sure what it was, I'd probably have a go myself.

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
sparky33

Post by sparky33 »

Click on the link in my sig and look for a member called Chris H, he's a homer mechanic and lives in the Glasgow area.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

stevenlizuk wrote:I had a rear bearing fail on my Golf which left me with three wheels in the middle lane of the M6 doing 80.
I don't leave a rumbling bearing any more!
Years ago I spotted a wheel, and brake a assembly at the side of the road, and a little further on along this A road I spotted where the parts had come from, there was a Cavalier leaning over at the N/S/R, there was only a driver in it, and he was lucky that he had been going at a low speed, it had come to a halt at the side of the road safely, with that side not touching the ground, as the car was empty other than the drivers weight which probably acted as a counterbalance.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

sparky33 wrote: he's a homer mechanic and lives in the Glasgow area.
Ahh, looks after the Simpsons does he?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

CitroJim wrote:
sparky33 wrote: he's a homer mechanic and lives in the Glasgow area.
Ahh, looks after the Simpsons does he?
:lol:

:wink:
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.