Wheel Wobble

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

In my experience, wheel wobble/vibration is usually caused by either a tyre or a wheel being out of 'true'. I had a new (firm's) Rover many years ago on which the carcasses of each of the 5 (factory-fitted) Dunlops went out of round before they were worn out producing horrible vibration at particular speeds. You could feel the irregularities by running your hand round the tread. Off the car, the tread would be fairly evenly worn but the distortions were obvious. The front's were almost worn out when they went, so it wasn't worth arguing about, and when the back ones went the car was out of warranty (and after that experience the last thing I wanted was more crappy Dunlops).

Our Xantia has one slightly bent rear wheel which produces an unpleasant low frequency vibration on certain road surfaces at about 65. Although I can get the wheel in perfect balance on the balancing machine, the rim (not tyre) has a visible shimmy - only four or five mm but it's enough. I keep meaning to swap tyres with the spare - one day I'll come across a good steel replacement. I'd guess it's been kerbed hard.

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

what ever happened to balencing the tyres and wheels on the car? tyre dealers used to have a machine which they used to sit on and push against your tyres,then they could balance your wheel tyre and hub/brake disks all in one go.

I suspose an EU ruling scupered that one.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Aparently, according to the tyre fitter we use, our C5 estate wheels dont have a big enough bore to fit onto their balancing machine. So they have to bolt them onto a frome thing to balance them. They are getting redone as i speak, so we shall see if that improves things.

Its a shame as the new Federal tyres it has seem very good, much more grippy and stable than the rubbish that were one.

My C5 hatch is on michelins, which i cant fault for grip, but the sidewalls are too soft, much less steering feel in the hatch to the estate, which has more life to its steering. The michies probably give a better ride i would imagine.

A few weeks ago i was following a S2 Xanita, actually from the main Citroen dealer, then onto a dual carridge way. Something looked odd as it set off, the front wheel looked so badly bent it looked to be hanging off the car! It had steel wheels but no wheel trims. I followed it (at a distance) and the front near side wheel was flapping about. We both stopped at some lights next to each other, i could see the wheel looked tight but the rim was badly bent. I have never seen anything like it, not a slightly wobbly wheel but very dangerous looking. He got up to 70mph with it too, im surprised he could keep his hands on the wheel. At that point i flew past him. I bet that wears its tyres slightly oddly :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10