Wheel Wobble

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've had mixed results with cheap tyres. I think the Camacs I used to get for the SAAB were OK. The worst tyres I've ever had were Federals, which were cheap, and Vredstein T-Tracs, which weren't.

I'm not entirely convinced that grip=safety. Often it just means you are going a lot faster when it lets go.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Oh, and doesn't the C5 have the worst of both worlds mix of alloys with wheel trims? In fact there was a recall on the wheels, it might be worth looking into that.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Nigel wrote
" I have unplugged the airbag system completely. The EU and its stupid health and saftey rules is screwing us all and ive had enough of conforming to the rules that are set by another country other than this one. "

i agree with what you are saying Nigel,

but i think you might vouid your insurance if they get to know you have done this,

regards malcolm
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Malcom, I tried and tried to get citroen to tell me how to switch the airbags off they wouldn't because someone had paid to have them switched off and then claimed against citroen when they suffered facial injuries in an accident.
I thought that airbags were an optional extra anyway and I dont want them in my car really but I couldn't aford a new xantia so they came with the car, my option disconnect them.
I knew a young lady aged 23 who had her drivers side window half open she ran into the back of a driver in front of her the airbag fired and pushed her head out of the window breaking her neck instantly, the very system designed to save her life killed her, if you know of any short people that sit right up against the steering wheel tell them not to drive with the window open esspecially in traffic ques. it doesn't affect taller people quite so much, I am 6ft 6ins tall but i'm still not taking any chances, clunk click every trip and thats enough for me.

if the airbag system fired on my xantia the seat belt would pull hard across my waist and I have what is known as an inoperable inguinal hernia, my condition is such that it is to dangerous for the surgeons to operate to repair my hernia if the airbag system fires it could potentially place me in a life threatenning situation, citroen did not mention wether or not it would void your insurance and it is not an MOT failure not yet anyway, my xantia has passed the MOT five years on the trot without the airbag system connected and the mot station knows the system is unplugged because the warnning light illuminates and flashes for five mins when you start the engine.

I would think the insurance company in the event of an accident would expect the airbag light to be flashing anyway because the system would have activated, so acident or no accident my airbag light will behave the same anyway.

back to tyres if the driver learns to drive properly esspecially his/her citroen with its unusual suspension characteristics then providing there is an adequate amount of tread on the tyres and no silly speed rating (yet another massive rip off) what are they going to do fly off with to much centrafugal force?( i think you'd have to be a bit wet behind the ears to believe all the crap the tyre people tell you), everything should be ok esspecially if they are balanced properly and your tracking is ok, just don't put cross plys and radials on the same axle if you know what I mean. I think I might find a way to get some of these cheap tyres out to people mail order it might be the saving that helps someone save their home in a recession. £100 a set of five and they would obviously be cheaper because they are not being fitted and balanced. any interest anyone?

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as i said earlyer i realy do agree with what you are saying 110%, and i know air bags are not MOT able yet in this country,

but they are not optionale extras and they are a factory standerd fitted so called safty devices, which im 99% certain an insurance company would use this as a get out in any claim if they discoverd them beeing disabled

regards malcolm
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

citronut, just one question then regarding airbags and turnning them off, why can you turn them off in Vauxhalls to fit a front child seat, why do they not insist that the child seat goes in the back and fit airbags that can't be switched off, it would be all to easy to forget to switch them back on.

these vauxhalls have a key switch in the dashboard some have it just on the passenger side and some higher range models have it on the drivers side.

some medical conditions actually exempt you from wearing a seatbelt there is another consideration all together much more dangerous than turnning off your airbags. we have driven for over a hundred years inthe UK without the need for airbags if you believe in them then that's fine by me, personally I can't take the risk because of my medical circumstances.
but I always wear my seatbelt.
And then lets consider all of the older vechicles on the road without airbags why haven't the insurance companies insisted that they are all scrapped/modified, I'm sure ther are lots of GS, CX, DS, BX and AX owners on here that would be extreemly annoyed buy any such ruling.
we can thank the EU for the airbag.

fair enough it is a manufacturers standard but where does it say on your insurance policy that they have to be connected? no one dictates what brand of tyres you use because they are seen to be safer than the ones you choose yet in an accident there might be a substantial difference in stopping distances.

regards Nigel. :?
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote: fair enough it is a manufacturers standard but where does it say on your insurance policy that they have to be connected?
Doesn't your policy requires you to disclose any modifications to your car which would affect the insurer's risk?
falling-out-with-my-car wrote: no one dictates what brand of tyres you use because they are seen to be safer than the ones you choose yet in an accident there might be a substantial difference in stopping distances.

regards Nigel. :?
As long as your tyres comply with 1986 construction & use regs, the 1994 tyre safety regs, tread depth, etc the insurance company would be happy with your tyre choice.
ImageImage
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've noted significant differences between brands of tyre in road noise transmitted. Over a longer run, this makes for a more pleasant trip if quieter tyres are chosen.

FWIW I set my tyre pressure by thermal gradient across the tread's width - you aim to measure a pretty even temperature across the tread after a half-hour of normal (not spirited) driving. A probe fitting for the multimeter helps me here (you push it into the "root" of the tread), but I have noted certain brands like Falken have the little holes for a proper tyre temperature gauge.

Seat position is the real key to airbag safety. Many people sit all wrong (including backrest adjustment), and the airbag will hit them too soon - or too late. There are thousands of airbag deployments with no ill-effects upong the occupants; one hears more of the negative outcomes as that is the nature of "news". Save for a leisurely Sunday drive, I'll prefer a car with them, any day.

Cheers, Adam.
falling-out-with-my-car

No it doesnt because my insurance allows me to drive any vechicle regardless of modifications further more I don't need to notify them when I change from one vechicle to another.
I guess advising them of my medical circumstances in writing is enough, I am actually exempt from wearing a seatbelt, but my choice is to wear it.

And do airbags enter into these construction and use of the vechicle regs then? my guess is they don't otherwise the Mot station wouldn't issue an MOT for my car, this must have something to do with the fact that having them disconnected is a matter of personal choice.
It is generally accepted that it is the law to wear a seatbelt and carrying an exemption certificate with you doesn't stop you being constantly stopped by the police when your not wearing one, this hinders your journey quite a lot so the obvious choice is to wear it which makes life and journey times a lot easier.

I appreciate your comments about changes to vechicles and modifications but I always have to provide a GP's letter to my insurance Brokers and the reason why they are disconnecterd counter signed by my GP before they will grant me insurance so there is no non-disclosure as you so kindly put it. it does not affect my insurance costs this years insurance fully comp £292-00 but I do have many years of NC Bonus. obviously I shop around, some companies wanted £800.

regards Nigel.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:citronut, just one question then regarding airbags and turnning them off, why can you turn them off in Vauxhalls to fit a front child seat, why do they not insist that the child seat goes in the back and fit airbags that can't be switched off, it would be all to easy to forget to switch them back on.

these vauxhalls have a key switch in the dashboard some have it just on the passenger side and some higher range models have it on the drivers side.
My C5 has a front passenger airbag defeat key located in the drivers bits and bobs cubbyhole.

When disabled there is a permanent warning on the instrument panel and a 'Bong' and warning on the centre LCD redaout.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:And do airbags enter into these construction and use of the vechicle regs then? my guess is they don't otherwise the Mot station wouldn't issue an MOT for my car, this must have something to do with the fact that having them disconnected is a matter of personal choice.
falling-out-with-my-car wrote:I appreciate your comments about changes to vechicles and modifications but I always have to provide a GP's letter to my insurance Brokers and the reason why they are disconnecterd counter signed by my GP before they will grant me insurance so there is no non-disclosure as you so kindly put it.
Any reason for the attitude here? I didn't say airbags had anything to do with c&u regs. I also didn't say you were withholding anything for your insurance co "as you so kindly put it".:roll: :roll:

f that was your interpretation go back and read my post again. ](*,)
ImageImage
falling-out-with-my-car

citronut wrote:
i agree with what you are saying Nigel,

but i think you might vouid your insurance if they get to know you have done this,

regards malcolm
ROSS I am sorry if you were offended but it had little to do with what you were saying I was trying to explain to Citronut my circumstances, I think we are at cross wires here. although I do appreciate your input very much.
regards nigel.
andydykes
My Cars:

Problem sorted

Post by andydykes »

Thanks for all the help guys. Got ripped off for a tyre at quick fit. Wouldn't sell me the cheap one advertised on their site said would only last about 3k because of the weight of the car and it would rip it to shreds.

Anyway new tyre no wobble and traffic jams on the A55 now bearable.

Would rather have an airbag injury than go threw the windscreen. I too have stomach problems and at one point was able to drive without the seatbelt. Didn't like it though and I remember being able to drive before it was compulsory to wear one. (Must have been my dads driving :) )
Current Car C5 1.8LX
Pre Loved Citroen's
Picasso Diesel, Xantia Diesel, Xsara Petrol, BX1.9 GTI Petrol, BX Diesel, GSA, GS
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

citronut wrote:as i said earlyer i realy do agree with what you are saying 110%, and i know air bags are not MOT able yet in this country,

but they are not optionale extras and they are a factory standerd fitted so called safty devices, which im 99% certain an insurance company would use this as a get out in any claim if they discoverd them beeing disabled

regards malcolm
I have a switch on my Xant to switch them off... making them optional!!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Our C5 estate has a slight wobble through the car, not the steering, at 70mph. So i thought it would be the back tyres needing balancing.

Anyway, yesterday it got a screw in the back tyre sidewall. The rear tyres were horribly cheap, pound shop specials i think, called Shang Sang or something, made from plasitc i think!

So not knowing if we are keeping the estate or not, we didnt want to go all out for a top brand. The tyre fitter recommended Federals, they looked to have a good tread pattern and the info they had sounded good. For £100 a pair in the 205/65/15 size i didnt think was bad either, nitrogen filled too!? These were fitted to the rear.

However, now the wobble is much much worse and still at 70MPH. To rule out the tyres we swapped wheels with my C5 hatch to see if we could cancel out the wobble. It did, well it was back to how it was without the new tyres, with a very faint wobble at 70. The wheels were causing a wobble on the hatch.

I think ill run them a while (back on the estate now) and see if they bed in, ive heard it said a few times this could need doing with new tyres, although i wouldnt have thought this too true. If they are not right by tuesday im taking them back and getting a rebalance. If its a fault with a tyre i want a better brand! I thought Federals would be half decent, but i always like to fit quality rubber usually, seems it certainly pays to :roll:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10