LHM FLUID

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

citronut wrote:it shouldnt make any diferance when fitting brake pads to any car were the hand brake is on disc brakes, as they all have to have there pistons wound back in so they should be able to work that out as the only real diferance is the hand brake beeing on the front wheels,

did you check your LHM level with car on level ground, on its highest setting and wait till it has stoped rissing, then the yellow disc in the sight glass on top of the tank should be between the two red bands,

regards malcolm
Level Ground - Yes
Highest level - Er, no. THought it was supposed to be checked at lowest level. :oops: Will have to find some more level ground and try again.

Thanks for the idiot check!

Edit: Actually I did check it at its highest level! I remember now. It was bang between the 2 red lines.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If your LHM level is ok, but you sometimes get the stop light flickering with sloshing motion, check your coolant level :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Xantic
My Cars: In the past French ones
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
V reg Xantia Exclusive 2.0 hdi
BX Diesel 1.7
C5 2.2 Diesel exclusive auto.

Post by Xantic »

I found a Total garage that sells LHM..

Rotterdam, Holland.
A bit far to go, Still a result.. :D
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Xac wrote:If your LHM level is ok, but you sometimes get the stop light flickering with sloshing motion, check your coolant level :)
Just checked the level and it was a bit low. I have now overfilled it :oops: but it doesn't appear to be a sealed system so hopefully this won't be a problem?

I'll see if my problem is fixed on the run home.

Cheers for the help.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

No, overfilling isn't a problem, except the excess is likely to spill out the cap or the overflow pipe.
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

My gauge doesn't seem to be working on the LHM tank, is there a way of changing it ?.
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

why do you think/feel its not working,

all the years i have worked on and around citroens i have never seen one which realy is stuck

if it appears to be stuck right at the top, the most likely fault is the tank is very over full, the way these floats work IMO it is impossible for the not to opperate corectly,

but if you feel the urge to lift it out to look see, the pull the two wires off the rotate the hole thing about i third of a turn and just lift it out

regards malcolm
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

Hi Malcolm
The reason i ask is..If i put the car on full height or to the lowest setting the disk does not move. Perhaps i am thinking it should when it shouldnt..

On checking the LHM level it seems to be about half way when on full height is this correct..?
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the yellow/orange and the lower copper disc's move up or down together, as they are both fitted onto the same plastic shaft/spindle, which in turn is one piece molded to the float bulb,

so were dose your yellow/orange disc (topermost disc) sit in the clear dome, regardless of were the fluid looks like it is through the top of the tank,

on high and or on low susp setting's

regards malcolm
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

Obviously not tonight but i will take a photo of it..I am really new to this Citroen thing but enjoying it so far.. :D

I might change my mind once the problems start though..
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Xac wrote:If your LHM level is ok, but you sometimes get the stop light flickering with sloshing motion, check your coolant level :)
That seems to have fixed it :D . Thanks for that.

This is the second time I have had work done on the car to have a fault develop that I was assuming was due to the work, but was in fact totally unrelated! Go figure.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Penguin wrote:
That seems to have fixed it :D . Thanks for that.

This is the second time I have had work done on the car to have a fault develop that I was assuming was due to the work, but was in fact totally unrelated! Go figure.
Glad to have helped.
Keep an eye on your coolant level, if it continues to drop then chances are your heater matrix is leaking (do you get a curry smell when you turn the heater on?) or you have a leak elsewhere.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Xac wrote: Glad to have helped.
Keep an eye on your coolant level, if it continues to drop then chances are your heater matrix is leaking (do you get a curry smell when you turn the heater on?) or you have a leak elsewhere.
I will keep an eye on it thanks. I don't think I have a matrix problem *touches wood*. I had one go on my ZX though so will be wary of it. I should really get some Barrs Leaks I suppose just to prolong the situation if I can.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
Xantic
54 reg C5 Estate vtr
Picasso 2.0 HDI
X reg Xantia 2.0 Hdi
BX Diesel 1.7

Post by Xantic »

Photo as promised..It does not move between the lower and higher settings..

Just took the gauge out and it all moves perfect..Is it overfilled do you think..
Last edited by Xantic on 18 Apr 2009, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
Jaguar 2.0 Diesel
Peugeot 407 Diesel
LIVING THE DREAM

Russ..
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The obvious solution would be that the reservoir is overfilled. Can you bleed some LHM out of the system and see if the indicator falls? Bleed a litre off the brakes is probably the simplest way - observe the usual precautions for hydropneumatic cars.

Failing that it may have suffered mechanical damage at the hands of a bodger and need replacing. Should be plenty around in scrapyards.

It is very messy which could be a side effect of being overfilled. More isn't always better :evil: