Donethebroken clutch clip job.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

And don't think I've been ignoring you today either Tim :wink: It's been a long (but good) day at the salt mine and I never once got near the forum all day until now :twisted:

The cable end, you'll find on top of the gearbox attached to the clutch release lever sprouting from the bellhousing. Pop the airbox off and it'll become visible.

Assuming a manual adjusting cable, you'll see the clutch release lever ends in a hoop and here you will see the threaded end of the cable inner with two nuts on it (13mm amd 10mm locknut). Undo the nuts, recover the plates and washers and then slip the cable inner out.

If the cable terminates in a flat plate, you have the automatic adjuster cable. For either type the same method of reattaching the clip applies...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Jim, I have been to greater depths than that today! (footwell of Xantia!).

I have located the cable end, no problem; I have the airbox off, and the other large diameter air pipe too. All is clear underneath: main nut and locking nut.

Should these be loosened as a matter of course in replacing the plastic clip? I was planning on Josephine merely gripping one end (oo err) and pushing (more oo err) until I could see the nipple (oo errr) poking out the other end (oo err).

Or just leave it as is, thereby trying to preserve the existing adjustment?

(If I get this done by Thursday I am going to award myself the Xantia Initiation Ceremony bage. It is very very very uncomfortable in that position using one hand to do this operation.)
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Napoleon wrote: If I get this done by Thursday I am going to award myself the Xantia Initiation Ceremony bage. It is very very very uncomfortable in that position using one hand to do this operation.
And very richly deserved it will be too Tim :D I know what it's like to be head-down in a footwell for an extended period :lol: :twisted:

Yes, I'd fully release the cable at the clutch end. Ultimately it'll make it easier for Josephine to get a good shove on the inner for you and it's very advisable to re-adjust the cable fully after fitting a new clip. The point is, with the cable disconnected at the clutch end, it gives you a bit more free cable to play with as well :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

ok, Jim, let's see where I go from here.

Many thanks.

And Don't Panic everyone, I'll do it!
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

gotanothergrot,

well done Iv'e done two now the first seemed like a nightmare, until I employed a ten by five inch mirror which I put at an angle up behind the pedals then I used a 150 watt flood lamp to shine in the mirror which reflected the light up behind the pedals making the view nice and clear.
of course your now working in reverse because of the mirror but its easier than crawling right up under the dash to focus on a clip barely a foot away in low light conditions.

with the help of some sockets and rachet ring spanners from Halfords the job seemed a bit easier that using open ended spanners.

if you take your time and don't loose your rag you'll do well, the hardest part of all is laying on the drivers door sill which sticks in your ribs something rotten, my side was quite badly bruised for a week or so.

the exploded diagram provided on this page shows the pedal retainning bolt in the easy remove position yest some have said that the bolt is the other way round on the Xantia and needs to be cut out and the head replaced my xantia was exactly as the diagram describes, I am wondering if Citroen realised the mistake of putting the bolt in the wrong way round and modified this on later xantias and now C5's.

well done anyway mate. =D>

And Tim simply pushing the cable inner all the way in from the clutch end will push the nipple inside the car way beyond the tube on the end of the clip, you will need to get under the dash with a torch or small floodlamp and line the back of the clip housing (tube section) up with the bulkhead cable entry hole then ask josephine to push on the cable inner from the other end. the cable nipple dosen't always make a loud click as it enters the clip esspecially if you decide to lubricate the new clip with a little silicone dashboard shine, so you may need two or three attempts at it.
you will need quite a bit of force on the cable inner to ram the cable nipple home on the pedal end.
you could line up the pedal yourself block up the pedal to hold it in position with some wedges and blocks and then go around the front and push the cable inner home yourself.

good luck Tim.

regards nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
gotanothergrot

Post by gotanothergrot »

With regards to lying in the footwell, to make life a little more easy i lowered the suspension fully and placed a piece of scrap ply onto two concrete blocks plus some old blanket eliminated the discomfort.

I used two pairs of 11"long nose pliers, a straight nose set which i bent into a crows foot shape so that i could hold the plastic housing from swiveling upwards, (the pedal now fitted and the cable end "mated" in the plastic housing) and a 90 degree set to offer up the clip and carefully push it home. This is an awkward job but made easier with the right approach.

Thanks for the comments.
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

The shame of it: I give up.

I got the pedal back in position, but I could no way ever ever ever get the bolt in the reverse position, so had to make do with the original. All this done with one hand, the other holding in tightly to that handle in the ceiling of the driver's door. And my chest being crushed by the underside of the steering wheel. And cramp in my legs. And the torch refusing to stay in one place.

It also dawned on me that I was not going to be able to get the metal clip in position either, so I just had to call it a day.

I have to say, being in that position under the dash was no fun, and I began to find it quite claustrophobic and not a little worrying, so had to get the breakdown co. to get the car to the nearest garage where I know they employ a garden gnome on day release.

I have spent about four hours on this job, but for someone of 6'3" and 16 stone, I think it's a no-no, unless some of the measures described above can work (boards on blocks, seats removed etc). All I got out of trying to remove the seat was some loose change that had fallen down the back.

Gnashes teeth in exasperation.

Thanks for the help, Jim et al. Let's see how the garage get on with it.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
gotanothergrot

Post by gotanothergrot »

Give yourself credit for having tried Napoleon.
thats always a big thumbs up in my book, hold yer head up high :D
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Thanks, Grot. It's not easy giving in, and I'd read everything I could on the topic, and lots of stuff on hereabouts, but I'm glad to have the old beast back on the drive.

Funny thing struck me as she sat there on her haunches: unwashed, greasy stains down her right flank... very continental, I thought.

Welcome home, Xanthe.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ