Pesky Xantia rear caliper bolts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Well, arguably, they wouldn't be bolts if they were threaded throughout their length:D
I think that either bolts or screws would be OK as long as the caliper part of the shaft was greased on assembly.
magictorch
My Cars:

Post by magictorch »

I noted on my estate that the nearside rear caliper was slightly warped causing uneven wear on the pad. I never did figure out why they were 'warped' this thread has my curiosity going.....
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Pesky Xantia rear caliper bolts

Post by RichardW »

I can no longer ignore this (3 years and 50k ignorance is not bad :P ). Now at 130k, and I have finally worn the (original!) pads out - some metal on metal action some times....

I have the bolts and new pads and a six sided 16mm short socker, and was out last night for a first go with the wire brush and Plus-Gas. I can see now where to heat the arm, and have bought a new high power blow lamp (not only for this job, but I did have it in mind... 8-) ). So hopefully I can manage it!

I still have a spare car, as no takers for the Picasso yet....
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

RichardW wrote:I can no longer ignore this (3 years and 50k ignorance is not bad :P ). Now at 130k, and I have finally worn the (original!) pads out - some metal on metal action some times....

I have the bolts and new pads and a six sided 16mm short socker,
i thought you were going to say a six sided club hammer :shock: :twisted: :-D :wink:

it actualy not so much the thread in the arm that holds stops these bolts undoing, but all the lock tight down the shank of the bolt were it passes through the caliper,

even worse on C5's,

regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Ha ha - typos come back to haunt us. actually I rather like that one!

I didn't think the Xantia ones were loc-titied? Previous 2 hatches I have done weren't, but this is a late estate. We'll see....
Richard W
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Richard,

Have you done the bolts yet. If not I could come over and assist ( Sat afternoon).

Only one bolt sheared for me and I drilled it out it my cobolt drills until it was near the thread then use a hack saw cut a small portion and the rest of the shell unwound

Kenny

P.S. I also have deep 16mm spark plug socket which I'm sure is a hex
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

better to use a stranded short socket as you want the driving tool/knucle bar as close to the head as possible,

otherwise all the force will be trying to tip the socket off the bolt head,

regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Thanks for the offer Kenny - not got to yet, was going to do it this pm but it was raining earlier, so I laid in the lighting cable in the new porch, and installed the RCD in the garage and finished wiring the sockets - another job that's been on the do list for about 8 months....! I'm off down South tomorrow, so the brakes will have to wait. 50k so far, what's another few hundred... perhaps next weekend when the in laws are here...
Richard W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citronut wrote:better to use a stranded short socket as you want the driving tool/knucle bar as close to the head as possible,

regards malcolm
What is a stranded short socket Malcolm - OK, short socket I understand but what is the stranded bit?

Spent this morning swapping the tyres over - at least Mr Tyrespot did, I just removed and replaced the wheels.*
Whilst doing so I could see the rear callipers were very much out of line with one practically contacting the disc.

The (fairly new) tyres that came off the estate were wearing on the inner edge - trailing arm bearings shot then!

*Yesterday bought a pair of ratcheting axle stands to replace the ones I loaned out some years ago that were never returned, to take advantage of the hydraulic suspension trick to remove two wheels at a time.

Too big to fit under the car at max suspension height :evil:
And it was freezing/raining :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Richard,

I'm sure you've read all my words on this but briefly, a hex socket (as Malcolm says) and no extension (again as Malcolm says plus a long breaker bar. Use gentle pressure on the end of the bar after a good douse in Plus Gas and gently work back and forth going very easy and taking your time. Don't rush and don't snatch.

With patience you’ll succeed.

Oh, and have new bolts on hand. You're sure to get the old ones out with no problem at all then :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KennyW
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

No problem Richard, I'll have a go at finishing my rear brakes without further problems with the bleed screw new ones at stealers ready for uplift in case I break the old ones.

Must purchase Plus gas.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

KennyW wrote:
Must purchase Plus gas.
Same here.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:Richard,

I'm sure you've read all my words on this but briefly, a hex socket (as Malcolm says) and no extension (again as Malcolm says plus a long breaker bar. Use gentle pressure on the end of the bar after a good douse in Plus Gas and gently work back and forth going very easy and taking your time. Don't rush and don't snatch.

With patience you’ll succeed.

Oh, and have new bolts on hand. You're sure to get the old ones out with no problem at all then :wink:
I would add to this - I have had success with other types of seized caliper bolts, but my method is similar and different. Once you have "reasonable" pressure on the breaker bar, smack the HEAD of it - i.e. as though you were hitting the bolt head underneath it like a nail, with a 4lb hammer, quite hard. I've never failed to loosen one yet. This also works for stuck sump plugs on 2CVs, amongst many other things!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

myglaren wrote:
citronut wrote:better to use a stranded short socket as you want the driving tool/knucle bar as close to the head as possible,

regards malcolm
What is a stranded short socket Malcolm - OK, short socket I understand but what is the stranded bit?

sorry Steve hun
standerd depth/short i mean but NOT multi point,

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Aha! The dreaded typo.
Here I was thinking there was a different type of socket that I should add to my (meagre) collection.

Did intend making a start on them today but the day has passed me by with nothing done - cleaned the car inside and out but no more, not even a trip to Half-ords to buy Plus Gas.

Son and new girlfriend arriving tomorrow so that's that for another week