C5 - brakes don't work after cold start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I agree it's best to ensure with Citroen U.K about this as the dealer could be wrong, or not admitting to the correct information, because it's a money making exercise for them!

If after clarification it still needs changing, and it's proven by the facts it needs doing by the dealer, rather than by guess work.

You are within your rights especially if Citroen U.K do not pay for it, to tell the main stealer to not proceed with the repair, and go to an independent.

There are many independents with a vast range of experience on older (classic) Citroen's and new, and they can even be ex main dealer technical staff who have set up their own business, who will do the job cheaper, and will care for your car more, and might be able to get this part it requires, from G.S.F etc, and at a cheaper price than the main stealer!

Try to get Citroen U.K. to swallow the cost, as it is a recent car, with a safety related problem, which in the U.S. would be called a "Lemon" it's not good P.R. for Citroen to not do this job, and after all it's like the pump isn't fit for purpose, if it's not man enough for the job, and they have admitted as such then they should pay for it!

Picked it up Saturday. Guy dealing with me was, I think, a service manager. Well, at least, he wore a shirt and tie and was based in the service department!
There are too many wearing the above, who are made to ensure the most amount of money they can get comes into the dealership, and they are on bonus to do this!

They care more for the pockets than for the customer at times!

Did he have a badge on saying service manager, because he could well be from a non technical background, and be just a pen pusher who does not check things correctly, and might not even be a service manager, and just a service advisor!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
GaryP

Post by GaryP »

Got a phone call from Citroen UK, or rather a voicemail as I missed the call itself. Basically confirming that my car *isn't* recorded as requiring a recall for any vacuum pump issues.

So guess I'm stuck with having to pay for the replacement pump.

Will report back on whether it proves successful or not.

Had a good look in the engine bay for it today, suspect it's a small silver thing attached to the top right of the engine, with a hard rubber hose going to the brake servo nearby, and a couple of braided hoses disappearing down to the lower reaches - where I believe it also controls the EGR valve, amongst other things.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Is it still close enough to the chassis sequence, & what with this particular car having this problem, which points to that part being at fault, to get Citroen U.K. to consider a goodwill claim on this?
ACTIVA

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

GaryP wrote:Got a phone call from Citroen UK, or rather a voicemail as I missed the call itself. Basically confirming that my car *isn't* recorded as requiring a recall for any vacuum pump issues.
Ask them to put this in writing, so you have a record of the information.
ACTIVA

GaryP

Post by GaryP »

So it's now been a week since I had the vacuum pump replaced, total cost of 175 smackers to supply and fit, including VAT.

Good news, however, is that it seems to have done the job, the brake pedal is still soft when I start her up no matter how long it has been lying, and an interesting side effect is that the minor stutter I used to occasionally get in 1st and 2nd gear when accelerating has also gone. Overall, it just seems to be breathing a lot better - I'm led to believe the vacuum pump also operated the EGR valve and a few other emission control bits and pieces connected to the air intake which this may have helped?

As for whether Citroen will cough up for this? To be honest, I doubt it. Yes, my VIN is in the range of those included, but unless a whole load of other folk with earlier build dates start reporting problems, then I imagine there'll be quite a lot of resistance to admitting that earlier cars have this same problem. In a way, I'm just glad that the fault seems to have been diagnosed properly, and the fix was about half the price I'd saved to pay for it.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Pleased to hear that it's now sorted.

Shame Citroen are not providing all, or partial cost cover.

Now you can enjoy your car more that this important safety related problem has been attended to.
ACTIVA