The Eighties are Back... 405Mi16 Time

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

your putting some effort into that Addo. :shock: :D glad its behaving now
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

jgra1 wrote:your putting some effort into that...
Sure. :twisted: I just hate it when people complain about problems and do nothing, or use their inactivity as a cue to badmouth an entire marque or series.

The odometer is broken, but it looks to have been about 320 000 km before someone decided to try winding it back (telltale point marks in number wheels).

Anyone seen a CV joint do this before? :shock:

Cheers, Adam.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Paris now has a new radiator cap (£4.30 QH pressed metal cheapy), a shorter power steering belt (545mm, not 560 as this was out of adjuster range) and to go in tomorrow - a new placcy water outlet housing on the block rear, above the engine mount/driveshaft support casting. Amazingly, the independent Pug parts shop had one on the shelf.

She's been dripping about a pint every day; hopefully it's just the housing defects and faulty radiator cap. Oil seems to be staying water free, and isn't seeming to leak from the head anywhere.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Touch vinyl, Paris has been a good girl in recent times. She's done a good few miles with negligible loss of coolant (tiny drip near the thermostat housing) and very little oil burnt. The squeaks are dying out, too.

I've just dropped £480 on a nose job. There's a reclaimed bumper media stripped, plastic welded and resprayed in 2K "Gris Magnum", and a set of good secondhand logfights to fill the holes. We still need to repaint the grille and headlight underline trims at extra cost.

Also "in the works" I have a set of original front springs coming to replace the Barrified aftermarket ones. It's all quite fun!

Cheers, Adam.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Eighteen months later... Paris now has private plates (GEB-987), and I've just rebushed and repainted the lower control arms in VHT satin black "epoxy" enamel. Combined with new balljoints (courtesy of Malcolm), new antiroll bar bushes and new droplinks I hope this will take some of the jitters out.

Also has new brakes hoses all 'round, an Aldi stereo and half-reasonable speakers. After discovering that cold starts leaked up to a litre of fuel each time :shock: , I improved the mileage by replacing a section of faulty flex hose...

In the next few weeks aircon will be recommissioned - having the compressor kitted at present - and the heater core replaced/plumbed. Sadly I can't find the readies for a dash reskin ($450-$1200), as it's annihilated by the Australian sun.

It's a fun car all right.