DS Revival...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

DS Revival...

Post by red_dwarfers »

Just been browsing the net and found an article on the 'revival of the iconic Citroen DS' :shock:
I knew it was too good to be true, its not based on the iconic DS, more just taking the badge.
http://tinyurl.com/btamko

Apparently, the hydraulic suspension is being replaced with electric active suspension!
http://tinyurl.com/bosssuspension

Im in two minds until I read a bit more about it....
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

That Bose suspension is AMAZING! :shock:

But knowing roughly what Bose hi-fi costs, it won't be remotely affordable...

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It works exactly the same way as a hydraulic system, which has incorporated anti-roll and anti-dive.
Much like an Activa Xantia with an extra Activa system fitted to eliminate dive.

There is no doubt that implementing such a suspension system using electric components is much simpler to control.
You can use highly flexible electric wires, no need for a hydraulic pressure station, and instead of the dreaded fluid distribution and electrovalve controls, you would use electric wires and power modules.

No doubt a hi-end product for luxury cars though ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Of course there's a Citroen connection. ;) Interesting article here : :D

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Fe ... eId=103183
In addition to being a major player in the audio biz, Dr. Bose has had more than a passing fancy in automotive suspension design, which began in 1957 when he bought a new 1958 Pontiac Bonneville equipped with air suspension. Although that system was primitive and prone to breaking down, Dr. Bose was fascinated nonetheless.

Ten years later, he replaced the Bonnie with a Citroën, again because he was intrigued by the use of air [???] suspension. For over a decade, he pondered modern auto suspension design and how he would do it, if he had the resources. Fortunately, he had both the financial and intellectual resources — and in 1980 decided to get to work on his idea. And what was that idea? It was, in a nutshell, the use of electromagnetic technology to provide a luxury car's ride with a sports car's control.
So howzit work? At the risk of oversimplifying, the Bose system uses a linear electromagnetic motor (L.E.M.) at each wheel, in lieu of a conventional shock and spring setup. The L.E.M. has the ability to extend (as if into a pothole) and retract (as if over a bump) with much greater speed than a fluid damper (taking just milliseconds, actually). These lightning-fast reflexes and precise movement allow the wheel's motion to be so finely controlled that the body of the car remains level, regardless of the goings-on at the wheel level. The L.E.M. can also counteract the body motion of a car while accelerating, braking and cornering, giving the driver a greater sense of control and passengers less of a need for Dramamine. To further the smooth ride goal, wheel dampers inside each wheel hub smooth out small road imperfections, isolating even those nuances from the passenger compartment. Torsion bars take care of supporting the vehicle, allowing the Bose system to concentrate on optimizing handling and ride dynamics.

A power amplifier supplies the juice to the L.E.M.s. The amplifier is a regenerative design that uses the compression force to send power back through the amplifier. Thanks to this efficient layout, the Bose suspension uses only about a third of the power of a vehicle's air conditioning system. Of course, there are a few other key components in the system, such as control algorithms that Bose and his fellow brainiacs developed over a few decades of crunching numbers. The target total weight for the system is 200 pounds, a goal Bose is confident of attaining.

The net result was simply something that had to be seen to be believed
http://tech.mit.edu/V127/N59/bose.html
Fifty years ago, Amar G. Bose ’51, the founder of Bose Corp., was a car nut. A geeky kind of car nut.

He wasn’t concerned with the obsessions of the day: horsepower, speed, and tail fins. He just wanted the smoothest ride possible.

Six years before the young Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor founded the company that’s now synonymous with high-end stereo speakers, he bought a 1958 Pontiac, which featured something called Ever-Level air suspension in which air bags replaced steel springs to absorb bumps.

It wasn’t good enough. He tinkered with the suspension for a decade, and then he bought a Citroen DS-19, a French oddball renowned for its radically streamlined shape and a pressurized fluid suspension with nitrogen shock absorbers. It once broke down on him at the Tanglewood music center, and he had to have it towed back to Boston.
And what about Citroen?

The French carmaker is now a division of Peugeot SA, but it still produces cars with the remarkable hydropneumatic suspension and enjoys a reputation for suspension wizardry.

Bose admits he hadn’t even thought of Citroen until a group of French reporters came to Framingham for a demonstration last year, and he doubts the company would take a risk with the new system.
ImageImage
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I can now see where Citroen is going here with all this now although
it was after some bafflement.

In essence they are aiming to get back to their core values in terms of
innovative engineering where they were SEEN in the past to be a real
star turn with that truly amazing car that was THE Moonshot shock to
the system advancement = the DS!!

This had earned Citroen their innovators reputation more than any other
model. Now released from their straightjacket by an enlightened forward
thinking MD at PSA Group their future needs to sell on strong core values
with their strength being Innovative Technology rather than an almost
desperate and totally unconvincing bargain basement bucket shop holiday
cheapie - how can any customer take ANY product seriously from a
company that does this and then presents a so called technical tour de
force costing a few arms and legs!?

So "DS Inside" concept described as the DS3 is a car that has it's soul and
heart drawn directly from it's distant forebear and is being priced
accordingly and sold as a unique niche alongside a totally different range.

The modular approach to manufacturing and their global logistics and
ties/joint ventures allow Citroen to be that niche manufacturer and Peugeot
can mop up the rest and do what it is it does well selling popular more
acceptable as its more conventional European mainstream model range.

The public desire and genuine interest in concepts like the Matisse and the
GTbyCitroen has shown Citroen they can make products that will make
sales and plenty of money and the latest designs coming out of the design
studio appear to have a passion and purpose again with a clear thread and
vision. The Hypnos crossover coupe 4 by 4 or whatever is a sexier
noughties Xantia Estate and I actually want one now - the sheer style
it oozes just eclipses Beemer or Audi etc!

I reckon, these are interesting exciting times for Citroen!

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 07 Feb 2009, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

It's a reflection on and, a celebration of the goddess for their 90th birthday.

So what are Citroen going to do for their 100th birthday? :wink:
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
504GLD

Post by 504GLD »

I've just seen this today on the cover of Autoexpress. What a disapointment, a challenge for the Mini it says. Well it looks (rude word for poo), after spending many km's in a DS last summer I wonder which twit at Peugeot came up with that idea for selling reskinned 308s- well it will end up on a shared platform with something! How can you take an icon like the DS and put it on that? On the second page was a Renault and at a glance I couldnt tell the two apart.

Peugeot/Citroen really could do with a big DS true in shape and form to the original style icon. They have great engine technology with the HDi V6 which would be ideal. Somebody should remind them they don't seem to be able to sell their current big cars anyway so why not give the people something they would buy!!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

504GLD wrote:
Peugeot/Citroen really could do with a big DS true in shape and form to the original style icon. They have great engine technology with the HDi V6 which would be ideal. Somebody should remind them they don't seem to be able to sell their current big cars anyway so why not give the people something they would buy!!
I agree!

Also with this DS inside marketing idea they have gone with, does this model they have released have spheres?
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.