No Work Today!!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Woke up with a good 12" of snow outside.
The road towards Jim's was closed, there's a bridge over the canal on the way and it was iced up so nothing could climb it.
I headed the otherway to be confronted by a fuel tanker sliding backwards down Grafton street under the aquaduct, with drivers behind frantically pulling out of the way.
The grid roads are closing themselves down, the minor roads are now made of ice, its still snowing quite hard so the ploughs aren't out.
I have a new definition of optimism though :D
Woman in a little red car trying to climb a 30 degree hill with her foot to the floor and getting no where!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think the ICE ROAD TRUCKERS would think what we are getting is like a fly on there windscreen, compaired to wht they are used to (skatting/driving on thin ice)

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have taken the day off, not for the snow, as there is none to speak of. Hurt my arm at work and that was a good enough excuse for me to skive off.

We did have some snow earlier in the week but not enough to justify the panic that ensued. You'd have thought the sky was falling :shock:
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

When is it ever sunny in the northeast! Only when other people are getting snow it would seem!

Blue skys still here :?

Some snow would have been nice :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I got to work all right at 07:30 this morning before all hell broke loose.

We watched in great amusement the antics of later arrivals in the car park. Those with flash RWD sports-cars with tractor-width were suffering badly :lol: :lol:

Come 10 o'clock we were ordered to go home or risk being snowed in. On the way out of our works we noticed a new Audi parked in very intimate ciontact with our main gates.

I must say my old 2.1TD was brilliant in the by-then very bad conditions. Speaking around it seems that French cars excel at snow. My workmate, who now rund a Mundaneo used to run a Pug 406 2.1TD and he swears the Pug handled snow far better. It's a widely held belief.
Xac wrote: The road towards Jim's was closed, there's a bridge over the canal on the way and it was iced up so nothing could climb it.
I headed the otherway to be confronted by a fuel tanker sliding backwards down Grafton street under the aquaduct, with drivers behind frantically pulling out of the way.
:o So that's what happend on Grafton St. then. My workmate, who lives down in Loughton fell foul of that one and had a very long diversion to negotiate to get home. Took him an hour and a half to go 5 miles.

It's going to be a shocker tonight. Snow stil lying thick around here and -5 degrees forecast.

My girls want to go to Primark in Bedford tomorrow and on Sunday, I have to make my way to hampshire for a week-long residential training course...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote: :o So that's what happend on Grafton St. then. My workmate, who lives down in Loughton fell foul of that one and had a very long diversion to negotiate to get home. Took him an hour and a half to go 5 miles.
We'd have been alright if it wasn't for the lamposts in the central reservation, to get past the blockage caused by the tanker we had to drop onto the other side of the road, which was a sheet of ice.
Jenny faired well though, but I did have to get out and break up the ice to get traction a couple of times.
I have noticed that 4x4s have been having a hard time of it though.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

citronut wrote:i think the ICE ROAD TRUCKERS would think what we are getting is like a fly on there windscreen, compaired to wht they are used to (skatting/driving on thin ice)

regards malcolm
Yes I have been watching that, and we seem like muppets compared to them, they certainly have to deal with very bad conditions there.

Imagine if one of the ice road truckers were to view what we have been through here, via the media they would p##s themselves laughing, at the lack of planning.

As we have had problems with the supply of grit, then how about some more planning from the authorities, I.E. the setting up of separate different stockpiles in the different areas of the country, North, South, East, and West as smaller feeder supplies to the Highways Agency, and the county, and local councils.

Therefore we would not be stuck as we are now with the stockpile at the mine that supplies the whole of the U.K. being drawn down so quickly, that they have had to mine more, and up production to keep up with the current demand.

Then there would be a further supply to call on in this once in a blue moon scenario, but as it has caused so many problems, accidents etc, and as the government is able to find money just like that to help the banks, could they not provide some to keep us safe, able to get about, and prevent us looking like complete plonkers when what is a small amount of snow (compared to other countries in Europe) arrives.

Also the gritting vehicles seem to be lower spec than they should be, I.E. no front mounting provision for a snow plough attachment, now obviously this is because of cost, but then what small cost is that compared to all this disruption we have had.

It's no wonder we are running so low on salt supplies when all they do is spread it around in greater amounts, on top of ever deeper snow, and hope it will do it's job.

When what they should is clear it out of the way first then spread it to prevent ice forming.

It comes to something when you even see a gritting vehicle skating around, and then losing control, as happened in Trafalgar Square during last week.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.