Xantia v6 blower

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lancaster-c5
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Currently: C5 1.6 E-HDi
Previously: Xantia V6

Post by Lancaster-c5 »

Clogzz.
Is there a Thi/English translation as it looks like it could be a big help to us. H
Lancaster-c5
(Donor 2022)

Post by Lancaster-c5 »

JIm.
Thanks for the info.On your picture of the blower speed control. With the meter on diode test range & neg lead on the output terminal & the other on the heatsink I get 479 ohms.Base to emitter622ohms.Base to heat sink
600ohms.Any ideas?H
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

a Thai/English translation
Unfortunately not, :( it’s all in Thai language only.
The site was posted here months ago for its very good pictures, and at the time, nobody could translate anything of it.
Unless we now have someone who knows Thai, all we can do is to try a translating machine that gives, say, unsatisfactory results. :roll:

The measurements are good; they are different switching voltages for different transistor junctions, as expected with high-current transistors measured in-circuit.
In other words, the transistors aren’t shorted, and the fault is elsewhere.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I have a Thai Niece-in-law. I can ask her but I don't hold out much hope as she's totally non-technical...

Howard, I'll chuck in another twopenny-worth later but it looks like the speed regulator is OK. I'll do you some more fault-finding steps..

For now, I must go and get educated - I'm on a week-long training course down in Hampshire...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Howard,

I've just re-read all of this thread. When you say the blower is not working, do you mean the blower motor is not spinning at all? I was working (wrongly I think) on the basis that you had the usual symptom of the blower running flat-out all the time the ignition was on. Can you confirm this is not the case or am I still wrong.

If everything is working normally, the blower will not start up until the engine is running. If there is a problem with the regulator, the blower will start at top speed as soon as the ignition is switched on and will not stop until the ignition is switched off.

You say you can see 12V at the thick black and red wires on the four-way plug going to the speed controller and 1.25V on the orange wire. Under these conditions, the blower motor should be running very fast.

The thick red and black wires that go to lone terminals on the speed controller go directly to the motor. Across these you should see near 12V under the conditions you have seen and the motor should be running.

You can check the motor itself easily enough by applying 12V directly to the motor wires with the blower speed regulator disconnected.

I apologise if we've been leading ourselves up and down the garden path a bit on this one. I'm guilty of not reading your initial post carefully enough :oops:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Lancaster-c5
(Donor 2022)

Post by Lancaster-c5 »

Hi Jim
To clarify the problem.With the engine running I move the slider from the off position to the high & auto speed position but the blower will not spin.
I have removed the 4 pin plug on the blower and there is 12V between
the red & black wires. I have connected the blower to the 12v supply via the red wire and it spins ,I have tested the speed controller as in the earlier post and clogzz said it was O/K. Over to you. H
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It sounds like it's the regulator that's the problem Howard.

Send it to me and I'll test/repair it...
Jim