Xantia 1.9TD - Boucing all over the shop!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Immatoity

Post by Immatoity »

i've changed them for non-hyd
BUT these posts say lower suspension to its lowest level then release pressure from regulator by turning screw -how? the car is so low you cant get a jack under it or get under it anyway to release the screw (which I think is near central sphere at bottom front).
helllp -2 hrs daylight left!!!!!!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If its the front's that you are doing then no problem, you don't need to go under, the release screw is accessable from above, requires a 12mm ring spanner.
Lower suspension with engine running then leave it ticking over for a minute, then undo the release screw, if you don't do it like this the a/s valve can close before the sphere's are empty, then guess what happens.
Put a plastic bag over the spheres to catch any fluid that runs out.
Dave
Immatoity

Post by Immatoity »

Dave -too late!!
The fluid went bloody everywhere lol! Before I go to far I need to clean engine compartment I think - LHM has got everywhere!
However -suspension is a dream!!! Cheers for all the advice -but need some more!
1) I previously mentioned I had changed the door to a new (well a scrappy) one - I put the lock/motor/handle out of old door on the "new" one but I cannot get in from outside! I can unlock with plip but have to climb through passenger side! also cant use this lock (even though its the same one!!) to lock via the key? any ideas?
2) Mrs has a L reg 1.8i LX - makes a ticking sound constantly and takes ages to rise up to ride height -is this definitely accumulator sphere & what is procedure for change? similar to those I changed today? and her sunroof only tilts =doesnt slide back
Thanks in advance[;)]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Drop the suspension to lowest setting on your lass's car, see if that makes any difference to the frequency of the ticking.
Stick your foot on the brake while its down, see if any change there.
The difference in oil volume between ticks on a good sphere is only about 25cc.
When it ticks, have your lass switch the engine off while you quickly undo the release screw on the regulator 1/2 a turn, there should be a healthy (loud) hiss from the escaping oil lasting two to three seconds if the sphere is shot it wont hiss much if any.
Of course the only way to be sure of its condition is either by changeing for a known good unit or having it tested and regassed, though the charge for this against a new replacement is not cost effective.
To change it, get front wheels up some ramps and drop the suspension, release pressure from the sphere and unscrew it, lubricate seal and install it on the regulator, screw on sphere.
Susp. still set on low and release screw still open, start engine and let it Idle for a minute, then close release screw and wait five seconds then open it, do this a couple of times then close it for good.
Wait for lights to go out, get car off ramps and do the citaerobics, at least three full cycles fom max to min, waiting for a minute at min to alow spheres to totaly discharge.
With good suspension sphere's and good accumulator sphere at full working pressure, when you raise the height lever from the low position to high, the stop light usualy comes on at around five seconds and stays on for between fifteen and twenty seconds.
Because the mating face of the accumulator and regulator are both ferrous, and the fact that access is limited, this can be one of the toughest spheres to get off, I'v found this to be the case on two different cars, the socalled difficult rears had put up no kind of struggle compared to the accumulator.
If your door gear was ok before you disturbed it all, then simply retrace your steps, but do it right this time[:D]
Dave