Brief Encounter II - The Sequel

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

fatherjack2002

Post by fatherjack2002 »

Well done Jim , your news just keeps getting better and better..............congrats =D> =D> =D>
paul....................

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Dare not take her out as she has no MOT, tax or insurance just yet. I'll be looking to get her MOT'd very soon, as soon as the drop links are replaced and the rear hydractive problem is sorted...
Um, yeah, not a good idea to be out trying to loose your lisence really, especialy since your so close now :D

D

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

:D great news Jim..

Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

Just catching up :lol: A little late but none the less, Congrats, excellent news Jim.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Just a quick update. Not a lot achieved this week except for de-rusting and repainiting the battery tray, repairing the blower motor regulator by fitting a new pair of output transistors and topping up the autobox oil.

All seems fine and after a week of not being started she fired straight away :D Only problem is, I have the ABS light on :twisted: Lexia tells me it's the front left. Why do ABS sensors die like that? The other day it was fine and now it's dead Jim :(

I had a look at the exhaust system and although a little sad, it's MOT'able as it's not leaking. It'll need replacing soon though.

Jobs remaining:

Rear brake overhaul, drop links, ABS sensor, LHM leak.

A good weekends work and then....

We'll see what the MOT man makes of her :roll:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Today has been a good day on the V6. She's now all done and apart from a good wash and a couple of scrateches polised out of the windscreen, she's all ready for the attentions of the MOT man.

I started off early this morning by refitting the battery tray and airbox after being satisfied nothing under there would be any further problem and nothing, so far as I could tell, was leaking. Speaking of leaking, I did need to retighten the front bank exhaust header clamp as it was loose and blowing a tad. That was fun.

Next up was the ABS problem. It was the left front sensor that was duff and normally on a Xantia the plug/socket is easy enough to get to but being a V6 with a gearbox that fits with a fag-papers' worth of clearance, the plug/socket is well hidden behind the diff. I thought at first I'd have to slip out the driveshaft to get at it but as usual, it's just possible to do. I found the sensor completely open-circuit. Replaced and the ECU Lexiated and all was fine. Next up I fitted new drop-links. Tat was easy as the old ones were only relatively recently fitted and someone had coppaslipped the threads :D The boots on both were completely perished although the links themselves are absolutely fine. If I could get some new boots, they could be usable again...

Next up, the LHM leak and rear brakes. Wheels off I found the rear brakes had received attention relatively recently and were fine. Looks like new pads were fitted not long ago :D

I tried to remove the leaky rear electrovalve from the sphere block but found that what I was undoing was not the valve body but the valve itself. Had I continued, the innards of the valve would have spilled. Therefore there was nothing for it but to remove the whole sphere block complete :twisted: In the event, it's not such a tricky job as it looks as if you undo the large pipes going to the wheel cylinders, they will spring apart just enough to remove the block. Luckily I had a spare and decided just to swap blocks complete. I was worried for a moment as the one I had was a front one but a quick look at Laser showed front and rear are the same - never knew that!

Getting the pipes back in the replacement block was the usual game and to tighten up the rearmost 3.5mm pipe I had to severely modify and 8mm spanner so that it could swing in a very restricted space...

When the old block came off, it was clear that the leak was a long-standing problem and someone had been there before me and had really graunched the valve up in futile attempts to remove it :twisted: At some time I'll have a look at what the problem is and see if I can get the valve free but it does look well corroded in.

All reassembled, a new centre-sphere fitted (actually a slightly below-par accumulator that reads about what a hydractive centre should on the pressure tester) and all was good. No leaks and after a rear brake bleed I found I had working soft-mode suspension and gosh, is it ever soft at the back.

After fitting the fuse box cover and spare wheel and carrier I could not resist taking her for a quick run around the block. She runs a treat, selects all gras and Iever had her kick-down when I gave rather more throttle than I should have :lol: It feels lovely and goes like a scalded cat :lol:

So this is it. The end of this blog...

Or is it?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

She flew through her MOT this afternnon with just two minor advisories on the front brake flexi hoses :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Considering how long she had been standing, the emissions were incredibly low :D

She's taxed and on the road. Just made the Post office before it closed!

Absolutely gorgeous :P

All's left is some cosmetic work and a heater matrix before the autumn sets in :twisted:

And a final check of the gearbox oil level.

I'm just driving carefully for a bit to see how she goes. No long journeys just yet until I'm sure all is OK...

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

:twisted: :D :twisted: :D :lol:

admiral51
Donor 2019

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Jim
Well done pleased your hard work has paid off :D :D

Colin

red_dwarfers
Donor 2020

Post by red_dwarfers »

:D :D :D :D :D \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Proper job Jim!!
Now you can drive around in your V6 grinning like a chesire cat thinking "I saved this wonderful car by doing something that would scare a lot of us :lol: "

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote:Now you can drive around in your V6 grinning like a chesire cat thinking
I have been grinning all evening Kev, an especially silly grin when driving it :D And to be honest, it's not quite sunk in just yet :roll:

I rechecked the gearbox oil this evening and found it high. Cue a messy job draining some out!

I'd like, here and now, to say a huge thanks to Richard (DickieG), John (jgra1) and countless others for their help, support, advice and time on this project without which it would never have succeeded.

And not forgetting Paul (Fatherjack2002) who sold me the car in the first place :D

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

A couple of pictures...

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

Time to get the old girl tarted up i think Jim... :)

vince

Post by vince »

Awesome stuff Jim,

I like the colour :P seen it before somewhere.... :wink:

When i come down on the saturday before the National, if you fancy swapping hats you can have a gander round mine and i will tart yours up for you if you want :)

I will be bringing my show prep stuff with me
:) :wink:

XantiaMan

Post by XantiaMan »

vince wrote:Awesome stuff Jim,

I like the colour :P seen it before somewhere.... :wink:

When i come down on the saturday before the National, if you fancy swapping hats you can have a gander round mine and i will tart yours up for you if you want :)

I will be bringing my show prep stuff with me
:) :wink:
It needed bumper corners painting and a machine polish IIRC