White van/R5gtt tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Aye im glad it was the clutch, if the box was broken i only have untested spares lying about.

All back together now bar exhaust & bonnet to refit. Clutch seems very snappy!

Fitted my 3.6kg lightened flywheel (std is 7kg) Idle is even rougher/worse now sounds like its on 2 cylinders, on the plus side it revs well on idle.

Old pic of the flywheel from 2006, slotted/heavily machined by ctm engineering.

Engine was running with only downpipe on, at least 100db on idle. I hope refitting the rest of the exhaust will shut it up a bit! :lol:
Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Finally got the van back on the road, done a few more bits to it.

Paddle clutch/solid engine mounts & hot cam are making it interesting to drive :D

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Looking very good :D
Brigsygtt wrote: Paddle clutch/solid engine mounts & hot cam are making it interesting to drive :D
I'll bet it does :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Ive kind of got the hang of pulling away now, for the first 50 miles i looked like a learner driver!

It all seems a bit rough & ready now compared to my xantia :lol: but horses for courses the whole package seems to work quite well.

Next step is to fuel it up for 2 bar of boost & hoping to break into 12sqm/break into the 3 sec 0-60 on slicks.
Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Well its been a while since last update.

Pulled motor out a month ago & changed cam for one more suited to a big boosted motor, dialled the cam in with 4deg of retard to make more top end power. The boost is set at 20lbs & fuelled up to suit, pulls really well.

Took it to york raceway for a few test runs, had a few carb problems so didnt do too well. The traction was poor as weather was damp & horrible. My run was B170 on the left, 14.8@104.63.

My terminal speeds are up 5 mph from last time so making more power, could be higher if i had a clean run with no misfires.

Gearbox didnt fair so well though, syncro on 2nd gear is shot so pulled it all out again to change the box..good job its only a 2hr job to remove all of it.

Also offered my m&h 22x8" drag radials up, look like they will fit with no arch chopping, Waiting for a set of 7.5j x 13" rims to turn up so i can get them fitted.

Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Small update

Got my rims back yesterday, gtt spares banded to 7.5". Cant wait to try these out at the pod.

Welding is superb on the rims, tig welded on a positional welder, rims are straight as a die. In the hurry to got my tyres fitted i forgot to take pics of the inside of the rims.

Banded steel vs cup steel

Test fitted them this afternoon, with a bit of work they fit They actually fit better than i expected, dont hang out the arches too much & i can still get full lock even with bumper on.

First try with the konis, about 5mm gap between tyre & arch.

Dug out my old avo coilovers & raised it up an inch (does anybody fit coilovers to raise a car) Im hoping an inch will be enough, it passed the catch test on the rough alley outside my unit OK. The springs are 250lb on the coilovers so its pretty firm. I was tempted to test them out in the alley, dont think the neighbours would like it though :D

Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Made it to pod & back, done loads of runs. Broke into the 12's with a 12.8@106, done loads of 13.0 runs with a random misfire, could have been down to the temps was about 28 deg!

Grip with the m&h racemasters is awesome, it still wanted to bog down when sidestepping the clutch at 6800rpm!

Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Found another pic of me launching at the pod. Possibly the quickest renault extra van in the world??

shaun_205gti

Post by shaun_205gti »

I really want this van you have done a great job mate you taking it to any shows this year want to see it in action.
Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Cheers mate 8-)

Ill be taking it to Usc at santa pod mate, possibly york receway on the rwyb days aswell. I was going to do fcs but im going to LeMans this year instead.
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

I have to say im a big fan of your van too, i do like a sleeper and there is none better than a van, the engine looks superb and you have managed to get some proper power out of it too.
Have you thought about going to EFI, i know its a big cost and a fair bit of modding to get it working on a carbed engine or is it you just like the low cost flexability the carb gives you?
Nice job though 8-)

D
Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Long time no update!!

Efi may be on the cards for winter, i feel decent gains could be achieved by mapping the ignition properly & i fancy fitting nitrous over winter :D

For the last few months i have been mostly chasing a random mis-fire round on the van, cured it a couple of weeks ago (ign related) and now the gearbox is on its last legs :twisted: will be something to do over winter i suppose..

Still i had a bit of track action at mallory, was fun in the wet :D

Also i have been to LeMans & back in my gtt with no problems at all, averaging 35mpg not bad imo!

I have done a fair bit of work to it this summer, the car is back to standard spec, semi concours condition. I have got a bit hooked on the whole detailing scene too :lol: Have showed it at various shows, Last major one was Renault world series a couple of weeks back.

Won a couple of trophys for best standard gt turbo and standard engine bay at rtoc national day this year.