Brigsy's Xantia tales.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:So far, my Pleiades tool has never been defeated... Xac tells me it's not good for 1.9TD accumulators though....
Err can't see that myself, works OK on mine.
admiral51
Donor 2021

Post by admiral51 »

Brigsygtt wrote:The cradle sphere tool is on ebay for £15 delivered. the link is in one of my posts earlier :D The geezer selling them is local to me, about ten mile away.
Must make sure i read posts properly just set off down my own tunnel :oops: :oops: :oops:

Colin
Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

The tool has turned up today, ill give it a go later if i get chance. Welding looks good, doesn't look like it will break in a hurry!

Also strut top has come finally so will be changed if i get a spare half hour this weekend!
Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Fast worker me :wink: The last one was a doddle, took me longer to clean up the spillage of lhm :shock:

But your right will prob take longer. Saying that i can lower a ax/106/saxo rear beam, removing the torsion bars properly in 2 hrs done & dusted, That's supposed to be a hard job :lol:

Im doing a saxo vts rear beam tomorrow, Easy money. Infact i might try & rig up a camera & do the time lapse on it!
ACTIVE8

Post by ACTIVE8 »

So after reading about the W.V tales, are you going to do something with the performance of the Xantia?
Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Im very tempted to give her a little boost/fuelling increase, but as its the daily need to keep it as economical/reliable as poss! Never say never though :lol:
Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Well the weekend is over & no sphere change yet, so no report on the sphere wrench.

Had great fun over the weekend lowering the saxo. Near side torsion bar was seized solid with rust. Tried heat on it, but without a flame pack it wasn't going anywhere in a hurry. First one that has ever beaten me to be fair...

Informed owner & he got another disc beam to replace it with at short notice. This beam didn't have abs though, so had to swap hubs which are pressed on, a job i don't want to do again in a hurry!

Took the best part of 14 hrs to complete, Almost everything that could go wrong did :? Aching all over today, proper tested my patience but done now.

On the plus side picked up some goodies for the van lastnight, time to get the engine pulled out this week, looking forward to it :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I feel your pain Brigsy :twisted:

The last 205 beam I pulled apart took a sledge-hammer!!!! They do corrode well...

Did you just have to pull the hubs off or press out the stub-axles?
Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

I had to pull the hubs off, then had to press the stub axles off as there were minor differences & the bearing wouldn't nip up. To say i was tearing my hair out by this point was an understatement :twisted:
ACTIVE8

Post by ACTIVE8 »

CitroJim wrote:I feel your pain Brigsy :twisted:

The last 205 beam I pulled apart took a sledge-hammer!!!! They do corrode well...

Did you just have to pull the hubs off or press out the stub-axles?
If only they had lubrication, like the torsion bars on a V.W torsion beam.
Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Well give the sphere tool a go tonight, Worked well on the anti sink. Fits really well on the sphere! Also changed the front n/s strut top so suspension is sorted finally. Only took an hr & half to do both, About time these jobs got easier 8)

Had a look at the back box as its blowing a little bit, noticed a good inch of pigeon s**t welding on the shank, Changing it tomorrow looks like it will break with ease...

A pic of the tool in situ, just placed it over the new sphere to show how it fits..

A pic of the work in progress, Weather was ideal.

Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Changed the backbox on sat, got a bozal rear silencer locally for £36. The old one had the clamp welded to the shank on underside, so all the top was blowing, total bodge job :roll:

Had to start it up with no back box on whilst changing, The turbo whistle sounds ace with no silencers 8)

Ive noticed the exhaust sounds a little noisy now even though its not blowing, will have to see if it carbons up.
Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Wembley & back in a weekend no bother, in comfort too :D

Have broken my mpg record up to now aswell, 500 miles on full tank & still half way between red & quarter!
Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Just updating the blog with some new pics after a well deserved clean. Touch wood the xantia has been going very well :D

Have fitted a boot spoiler i got off ebay, Same colour for 99p! looks a lot better 8)

Have acquired a black leather interior & doorcards out of Rory Perret's exclusive that he is breaking so will be fitting that tomorrow. Also its due an oil/filter change so doing that too.

Ive also got the mk2 leather steering wheel. Will my controls/airbag fit onto it?

Also has anybody got a leather armrest for sale to fit my interior as mine is missing.

Brigsygtt

Post by Brigsygtt »

Give the interior a good valet after fitting the leather. Feels like an activa without the power now :lol:

Have got the doorcards/wood trim for dash to fit when i get time. Still in need of an armrest too.

Barely broke in at 151k..

Air con.

Heated seats. Wired up shame the elements are broke.

Need to get my leather steering wheel fitted asap.