Xantia on Chip Fat??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It's much easier to run an estate on veg than a hatchback.
Use a funnel with a handle, tie a loop of string from the handle to the rear roof bar gutter access flap.
This holds the funnel in place while you pour in the veg.

With a hatchback there's no suitable mounting point for the funnel so another pair of hands is needed.
If anyone has any hints or tips for filling a hatchback from 20L containers, please post :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

:twisted: :D

I fill mine from 25L barrels Xac
I sometimes leave the barrels somewhere warm overnight...

the proceudure is :

suspension on low!

tie the funnel with a length of fence wire to the hatch strut, just to hold it vertical

pour while standing off center with about 30 kgs in your arms, waiting for a lower back ache :D

then repeat with another barrel..

I use petrol to clean the arch (my car is a long time since a tcut/polish) paint doesnt seem harmed

:lol:
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

You could try pouring half your 20l contents into an empty 20l container as 10l is a lot easier to control.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I used to decant it into a large watering can and then fill from that. much easier in daylight than at night under an outside light and could fill the tank nearly as quick as some pumps as it would flow quite well with a large outlet on it :)
sparky33

Post by sparky33 »

I used to use 20litre drums from Costco, but it cost me in the end, I didn't heed the warnings of Veg Oil and Lucas pumps, after several months the rotary head sheared off as the Lucas pump uses diesel as a lubricant.

Further info here http://www.coupe-club.org.uk/smf/index. ... 241.0.html
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

jgra1 wrote: tie the funnel with a length of fence wire to the hatch strut, just to hold it vertical
Of course! Do it with the hatch open! Why didn't I think of that? :D

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

:D xac

i used to do the watering can and smaller cans.. but to be honest I am fine now just with two barrels.. its quick enough once you get a few litres out and get the air coming in to match to oil coming out...

the barrels are screwed shut and go back to the 'oilman' and there is no fuss really..
:)

what I want now is a secure and relatively secret place to carry much more oil.. ie. for a long long journey...
any ideas? ... false boot floor could be one....
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I used to use the metal KTC drums (stab a hole in the top and it flows quite quickly) but they're more expensive so I now use the cardboard boxed plastic containers.
Their opening is much larger so no problem with constant pour, the only thing to remember is to tighten the lids when you buy them as they can leak if they fall over.
Being cuboid they fit well in the boot, or two will fit infront of the passenger seat.

Increasing the fuel capacity of the car, I'd look at getting a boot tank made up the same shape as the boot floor and say 5" high, so that it sits under the boot lip still. Don't forget to take into account access to the spare wheel hook!
Piping it into the main tank probably wouldn't be that hard either under the back seats.

Probably have something like the fuel return going to the boot tank, and a feed from the boot tank to the fuel return spigot on the main tank.
Otherwise there may be a way of going direct to the filler pipe, so when you fill the main tank it "overflows" into the boot tank, then as you use fuel, the boot tank drains into the main tank keeping it full.
That way you'll know when your boot tank is empty by your fuel guage finally dropping :)

Carpet the top of the boot tank and no one will really know it's there.
You'd even still be able to put the back seats down, you'd just have a 5" step.
Anyone want to do some quick measurments as to what the potential volume of the tank would be?
The added weight (in my experience) will help with ride quality, at least on the estates, and with cracking the rear spheres when their time is up :)

Hmm, build one for Cassy and enter her in that endurance race Top Gear used biodiesel to kill a modern fuel pump.

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

hatchback xantai

32" x 45 " x 7" (7 is the height of the rear ledge.. so 7 " would give a flush load space)

ignoring a cut out for spare wheel hook lowering

I make it :

81.2 x 114.3 x 17.7 = 164276 cc's

164 liters

1650 Miles plus the original - 2350 without stopping to fill up...

:D :lol:
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Plumb it into the main filler pipe for simplicity, and have a large hatch in the boot tank, would make filling a doddle and much cleaner!

Think how far you'd get with an estate :D
(unless I'm driving)

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Isn't the longest direction of your continent, only about 600 miles? :?

And wouldn't the extra fuel consumption required to haul around "reserve capacity" negate any savings? :P
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

United Kingdom is 1100 miles from one end to another. It is a group of Kingdoms Addo.........not a Continent. The most varied and spectacular of anywhere in the World............... 8)

I love OZ as well mate.

In Scotland you are never more than 50 mles from the sea.

I will post up the best filler can of all when I get a pic.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The most varied and spectacular of anywhere in the World...............
I was stirring! :lol: Most people barrack for their own turf. I'll take the Katherine Gorge, Nullarbor Desert, the Great Australian Bight, Gulf country in the Wet season, gibber plains around Coober Pedy, Atherton Tablelands, Clare and Barossa Valleys, the Blue Mountains, our Riverina and western plains (can you tell I'm not a beach person? :wink: )...

With the fuel, it's just a case of personal dislike about excess baggage. If it made sense for a long trip (and I would prior check the loss of economy with extra weight on board) I'd make sure the extra fuelling was really organised and an accurate ration. But I won't carry around extra stuff just in case. Did that for years, and in the end came to resent its clutter.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Xac wrote: With a hatchback there's no suitable mounting point for the funnel so another pair of hands is needed.
If anyone has any hints or tips for filling a hatchback from 20L containers, please post :)
I use an 2 ltr fruit juice container which has a top just the right size to 'clip' into the filler cap of the Xantia, the side/bottom of the container is cut at a sharp angle. I use the KTC 20 Ltr cubes generally from Makro, for the winter months I did pick up some 20 Ltr metal tins of rapeseed with a smaller top, just punched a hole in the top to let the air in.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

'Isn't the longest direction of your continent, only about 600 miles?'

noooo

Europe is a bit bigger!

but better still, 1 small stretch of water seperates me from the far east! :D :D

ok there are a few issues in the way..