Crunchy Xantia!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bren
My Cars:

Crunchy Xantia!

Post by Bren »

My xantia has developed a bit of a crunch - when changing down through the gears, if you move the lever across the gate towards 2nd you get a slight crunch. I recently topped the box up and put in some molyslip as the box had been leaking for some time - anybody any ideas?
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

What grade gearbox oil did you use?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'd check the clutch pedal height.
Should be approx 140mm over any carpet/mat level to make sure the clutch truly disengages when changing gears.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Agree Anders, check the clutch adjustment carefully; it does make a big difference.

I believe Molyslip is possibly the worst thing you can put in a BE3. The design of the synchro cones is very old fashioned and they rely on friction to operate. Molyslip is a fricton reducer..

You'd be better filling the 'box with ATF than Molyslip.

The synchro cones are delicate and anything that reduces the friction they can apply will shorten their lives.

Drain and fill with 75W/80 oil specially made for these gearboxes. The best is called Total BV but the Comma 75W/80 does the job well.

Use the right oil and the gearbox will last for ever. Use the wrong stuff and it's life will be compromised, not to mention gear change quality, especially when cold.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

Many thanks - I did use the correct 75W/80 oil and I only used the molyslip because sometimes the gearchange "baulked" when cold - it reminded me of the manual boxes I had in my SD1's. The box has been leaking for some time, not badly, but enough to build up on the plastic undertray.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You can check if your clutch is disengaging OK by depressing it stationary with the engine running and see if it will go easily into reverse gear with out crunching, the baulking may be due to the clutch not disengaging properly. If it is, then you probably have wear in the synchros, pausing briefly between gears may help. If it fails the 'reverse crunch' test, then as Jim and Anders suggested, check the cable adjustment.