Xantia 1.9Td estate 96. radio code problems.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

Blackdog wrote:
DickieG wrote:
Blackdog wrote:I replaced the battery's in the keyfobs as well and was given a plastic sort of credit card with the car which has a key on it and a number 9JL2 as I don't have the owners handbook don't know what this means. The led light isn't on and never has been and I was reading that there is a master switch in the engine under the scuttle panel which is probably switched off. so I am keen to get it all working again any suggestions would be great
From the description of your car is sounds as if its a pre 96 Xantia which makes it a S1, if so then I think the code card you have been given is a 'Red-Herring' as they are used on S2 Xantia's to programme keys for the transponder immobilser and RF remote.
hello and thanks for the "RED HERRING" info its a 95 on a N plate so thats cool if the card dont do anything....
Hello Glyn I posted a reply to your instructions for alarm/keyfob stuff and it came up on part of colins last txt in small writting...dont know what thats about... maybe if you get a chance to read it you could give me some feedback on it...your stuff was spot on and dead straight forward thanks you have all been really helpfull today....am gonna have a break now and start again tommorow...CHEERS....BLACKDAWG.
I.9TD Green xantia estate sx 96.
1.9TD Green xantia estate sx 99.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Right you are nearly there with the alarm it all sounds as if its working :D

The keyfob not working well after the batterries being replaced could be down to the fact the internal contacts are iffy.i had the same trouble with mine the little spring arm inside doesnt push the batteries together enough.

Try squeezing the fob as you try to lock/unlock the car.If this works then i managed to to put a small washer between the batteries to force them out to their contacts :D :D

The fob has 2 buttons the first locks/unlocks the car the second sets the alarm and the deadlocks and should set the indicators to flash once to indicate the alarm set. the sequence to set the alarm is first button 1 then button 2 unlock is just button 1.

The red led sat under the centre vents should flash approx 20 - 30 secs after alarm set.

You can set the deadlocks using your key turn the key in the lock and hold it in position for a few secs.You should see/hear 2 seperate locking movements :) :)

Hope this helps :) :)

Colin
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

Hi Blackdog,

Glad to be of service Sir :D

Check when pressing keyfob buttons that the little LED is lighting up on the fob, if erratic it could be a faulty fob ( mine had broken solder around the button/switch legs inside the fob on the circuit board). If they are OK, then remove the alarm receiver panel from the headliner, take out the receiver box and clean the inside of the dome. It worked for me, believe it or not! The inside of the dome was covered in dust thus not allowing the signal to get through every time! Sometimes they can get damp through moisture getting in from a leaky aerial stub too!!
HTH

Glyn
Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

bonnyman750 wrote:Hi Blackdog,

Glad to be of service Sir :D

Check when pressing keyfob buttons that the little LED is lighting up on the fob, if erratic it could be a faulty fob ( mine had broken solder around the button/switch legs inside the fob on the circuit board). If they are OK, then remove the alarm receiver panel from the headliner, take out the receiver box and clean the inside of the dome. It worked for me, believe it or not! The inside of the dome was covered in dust thus not allowing the signal to get through every time! Sometimes they can get damp through moisture getting in from a leaky aerial stub too!!
HTH

Glyn
Morning all thanks for all the info last night went out this morning and battery flat knew I needed to replace it so will sort that then get back to sorting out the locking/alarm system catch up with you soon.....cheers.
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

Hi Blackdog,

a flat battery will give tyou all sorts of alarm problems so changing that first will be a good move!!!

Glyn
Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

a flat battery will give tyou all sorts of alarm problems so changing that first will be a good move!!!

Glyn
Hi all managed to get a new battery for her today and it was nearly dark before I got a chance to fit it...anyway story so far with the alarm keyfob is it seems as though the alarm siren might be disabled as there is never any audible noise when I "reset" as in ignition on depressing and holding alarm button on dash board. Then its the idicators that give a few seconds fast flash....the L.E.D. light on dash hasnt come on yet but I guess this is because I am still having trouble with the keyfobs and unless the door is locked with the fob then the alarm aint gonna set?? yeah?? I did clean out the responder and have checked the keys to look for any broken soldering....so MMMM not sure..possibly I still need to activate something?? Havent found the master switch for the alarm yet although you guys did say it would be located near the LHM resevoir so I will have a look for that tommorow...I still am wondering why the fuse had been removed? Also notice I am topping up with LHM too much and what a difference it makes to the ride when it just drops a little...I can see that it is the pump thats leaking..maybe I will be lucky and get away with just tightening the nut...or replacing the seal....so if you think I need to arm the alarm or do something else to get it going any info would be great....
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

Hi Blackdog,
just for your info, as far as I know the switch under the bonnet only turns the siren off. It is located in the grille part of the scuttle, between the screen and the LHM tank. There should be a pop-off type cover on it and underneath you will find a similar keyslot as the two front doors. On top of the cover it will have 'OFF' and an arrow pointing clockwise or anticlockwise (Can't remember at the moment!). By putting you ignition key into the slot and turning it in the direction of the arrow on the top cover and holding it there for a few seconds will turn off the alarm siren and the other way to turn it back on again. The rest of the alarm functions should still be operative. The LED on the dash may be faulty if it doesn't come on at all or may be disconnected behind the dash. To get to the plug remove the radio and look inside the radio aperture to the left and it should be there.
If the LED's light up when pressing both the buttons on the key fobs reliably then the circuit bord inside is more than likely OK.
There is also the possibility that the alarm siren/unit is U/S and the only way to check that, as far as I know is by swapping with a known good unit. This unit is located inside the left hand wing. You will have to remove the inner wing plastic liner to get to it and the two 10mm headed bolts that hold it in are accessable under the left hand bonnet hinge.
For what it's worth, I also seem to remember a thread or two on this forum about the wires for the alarm system go through a multiblock connector under the passenger front carpet and can get all sorts of problems if the underneath of the carpet is wet (from either a leaky heater matrix or water leaking past the outer screen seal on the left hand side which allows water to run off the screen, inder the scuttle and down through the outer ventilation flap and under the carpet.
The best thing I think for you to do, now that you have the radio code sorted, is to put up a new post on the forum about the alarm fault and mention about the tail end of this thread and get all the forum to respond, as anyone reading the forum list will only think that the post is about a radio code problem and they might have a few more ideas/kknowledge about the wet carpet issue...

HTH

Glyn
Blackdog
My Cars:

Post by Blackdog »

just for your info, as far as I know the switch under the bonnet only turns the siren off. It is located in the grille part of the scuttle, between the screen and the LHM tank. There should be a pop-off type cover on it and underneath you will find a similar keyslot as the two front doors. On top of the cover it will have 'OFF' and an arrow pointing clockwise or anticlockwise (Can't remember at the moment!). By putting you ignition key into the slot and turning it in the direction of the arrow on the top cover and holding it there for a few seconds will turn off the alarm siren and the other way to turn it back on again. The rest of the alarm functions should still be operative. The LED on the dash may be faulty if it doesn't come on at all or may be disconnected behind the dash. To get to the plug remove the radio and look inside the radio aperture to the left and it should be there.
If the LED's light up when pressing both the buttons on the key fobs reliably then the circuit bord inside is more than likely OK.
There is also the possibility that the alarm siren/unit is U/S and the only way to check that, as far as I know is by swapping with a known good unit. This unit is located inside the left hand wing. You will have to remove the inner wing plastic liner to get to it and the two 10mm headed bolts that hold it in are accessable under the left hand bonnet hinge.
For what it's worth, I also seem to remember a thread or two on this forum about the wires for the alarm system go through a multiblock connector under the passenger front carpet and can get all sorts of problems if the underneath of the carpet is wet (from either a leaky heater matrix or water leaking past the outer screen seal on the left hand side which allows water to run off the screen, inder the scuttle and down through the outer ventilation flap and under the carpet.
The best thing I think for you to do, now that you have the radio code sorted, is to put up a new post on the forum about the alarm fault and mention about the tail end of this thread and get all the forum to respond, as anyone reading the forum list will only think that the post is about a radio code problem and they might have a few more ideas/kknowledge about the wet carpet issue...

HTH

Glyn
Hi and thanks for your reply and info Glyn....phew thats a few things to consider when i can easily open and lock with the KEY!! so for just now i will put the alarm on hold as where I live is remote and aint no-one gonna try steal my car..I just thought if it was simple enough to do i would and the other thing is the passenger door lock tends to stick so it wouldnt work with the fob I will have to strip the door down and have a look at the operating rod..so for just now I will go onto other things but thanks again for your help with everything so far I'm sure it wont be long before I put up another S.O.S. This forum is ace..safe driving...take it easy.....Blackdawg.