BernieLugg In Hospital

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

BernieLugg
My Cars:

Post by BernieLugg »

Hello folks and thanks for your kind words and wishes. only just found this thread, i thought the only one was on BXClub.

anyway an update - the left hand has suffere radial nerve damage, possiby going to have a crack at sme more surgery to fix it. Wrist movment at the moment is avery painful 15 degrees, an i have been told its not going to get much better than about 30 degrees. The pin in the elbow is also causing some mobility problems, but not as bad as the wrist, which is a bit fecked and contains a lot of meccano.

Sadly the accident was mostly my fault, despite the driver in front slamming on suddenly and unexpectedly, then buggering off quick - i should have been far enough away to stop safely, I waasnt and locked both wheels - pretty pish poor riding despite my experience (20 years this May).

Ive been off penty of times before, sadly thias time was the firstt ime i made a bit of a mess of myself - thankfully for the leathers and lid it wasnt worse.

I would get back on again (much to the disgust of the family) but probably wont be able to ride again. its a shame as i got a lot of leasure from riding, but there yio go its the luck of the draw, a moments haste and thats my riding career stuffed - still the bike landed on something soft so wanst damaged!

Thanks again to all wo have wishedd well.
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

What actually happened Marty ? Did you instinctively put your hand out to protect yourself and bash your wrist against the road or something ? I had a friend about 10 years ago who smashed his wrist up riding those roller blades which were so popular back then. The wrist seems to be really delicate.

David
David

BX19TRS 120K E Reg 1992-2013
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
BernieLugg
My Cars:

Post by BernieLugg »

Nope, I had a couple of hundred kilos of yamaha between my not inconsidarate bulk and the handlebars, went forward, hit testicles on tank, crushed wrist on bar, bending the handlebar in te process then headbutted road and slid a bit. it was entertaining trying to get the flip front helmet off as the front catch had been ripped off in the impact.

Proper leathers = FTW, may be carked, but saved me a lot more damage.
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

Crushed testicles. Ouch !!!

I had a few small bikes when I was a kid and had my share of knocks --- I was really lucky just the usual bruises. I even got side swiped on a bicycle at a junction where an old lady came out without seeing me. I summersaulted over the handle bars --- I was ok but the bike was a write-off. No bikes of any kind for me after that.
David

BX19TRS 120K E Reg 1992-2013
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I know a fair few people who've owned bikes, seems that most give up biking the third time they fall off...

I've probably been in a similar situation in the car, with locked wheels because the car in front has stopped suddenly, its difficult to fall off the car though ;)

If you're giving up the bike, you could have a think about something convertable, an older MX5 or similar won't cost the earth and may give you some of what you enjoyed on the bike.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

My neighbour has a pimped out Servi-Car. They're a bit humdrum in stock form, but when slightly modded seem a fun mode of transport.

It's good to hear someone's leathers "worked". The hot weather here, sees a lot of riders in T-shirt and shorts doing freeway speeds.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Kowalski wrote:I know a fair few people who've owned bikes, seems that most give up biking the third time they fall off...
That sounds about right.
Dad used to ride everywhere before he got married.
Had an old boy pull out infront of him, which ended up severing the tip of his thumb nearly all the way off.
Then there was a woman who ran him off the road at crossroads where he ended up in a ditch with a piece of wire from a fence through his leg (he got a ride to hospital with a group of student nurses for that one, the lucky wotnot).
And then this time last year, he was riding to work in London, following an MPV (probably too close) in heavy traffic. A woman coming the other way wanted to turn right, saw a large gap between the MPV and the car behind dad, floored it to get through and bam, straight into the side of dad.
Knocked him out, broke his shoulder and pelvis, and left him with bruises on his lungs (so a course of rat poison was on the menu). He's got no recolection of the actual accident thankfully. He still has a bit of trouble walking, and his shoulder movement is slightly restricted.
I hope your recovery is speedy and successful Bernie. I thankfully wasn't hurt when a bus ran into the back of me, but I know how bad it can be.
Like you, dad was wearing the proper gear, and I always wince when I see kids riding with just trainers or even t-shirt and shorts!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
BernieLugg
My Cars:

Post by BernieLugg »

Xac wrote:I always wince when I see kids riding with just trainers or even t-shirt and shorts!
As some of you may know i'm a nurse, before i went and took the soft option of working with drug addicts and prisoners i spent 12 years workng between orthopaedics, ICU and A&E so i have seen more than once people come in with quite horrific biking injuries that would have been lessened or prevented entirely by wearing the right kit, Ok so a couple of hundred quids worth of kit got trashed that morning, but its worth it for me to still have my face attached!
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

If you're giving up the bike, you could have a think about something convertable, an older MX5 or similar won't cost the earth and may give you some of what you enjoyed on the bike.
Try a Lotus 7 (or Caterham). The 170hp one is much more than adequate Marty.

I have owned 39 bikes to date. Fell off a BMW R90S in much the same circs as you, except it was a lorry and I went under the back end, only fracturing right radius. Now OK other than loss of some movement.

You will find that the 7 will cough quite a few doses of Adrenalin. Used to race them back in the 60s... good fun.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj