clubxm forum down?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

colinxm wrote:So this is where you've all been hiding :shock: thanks to Ciarán for showing me the way :D Glad to have found the "gang" again - it's been like losing a friend !
My trusty (Haaa ha ha...) XM is off the road again so it'll be nice to cry on your shoulders again !

So club xm forum is still pretty much dead in the water so what's the plan - shall we set up a squat on this forum (I like it so am planning to continue here anyway so long as they'll have me) or shall we start again elsewhere ? don't suppose there's been any more info from Chris or Noz ?

Cheers, Colin.P
You and your compatriots are welcome here for as long as you wish to stay Colin.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Hi Colin, fancy seeing you here :lol: i do hope its not anything major or more importantly expensive.
There has been nothing more from Noz although i believe it is out of his hands ancd i dont think anyone has heard a peep from Chris 8-[

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Options are being considered. :wink:
jorgy
My Cars:

Post by jorgy »

Hi all of you

I agree with the action that's discussed here, I think too long a time has elapsed, and we need to have a place were we can discuss XMs - whether time will prove it to be a new permanent place, or a temporary place should Club-XM ever came to function again-.

One big advantage of hosting the new club-xm as a stub of this forum is, I feel, that it'd be visible to a very large pool of fans, hence more people could be drawn to XMs, which is good for us on the long run.

The single problem would be with the data ownership, but this is only in the case we incorporate club-xm data to the new forum.
But is this crucial really?
Personally, I have saved everything I said I thought would be important to have (hydraulics etc), and I don't think anything forbids me from saying it again on another forum? I also have all the interesting files/documents I have uploaded through time and could upload them in 10mins on any other forum if I wanted.

I'd like some info on this very forum, FCF, i.e. who owns it, who funds it, in other words anything pertaining to estimating whether it'll still be safely around in 5 or 10 years time or it'll dissapear bec owner(s) moved to...Italian cars/was bored/didn't have money, etc etc. Thanks!

cheers to all and to our hosts here, and to Noz and Chris, although I don't knwo what they r up to!
George
1994 XM V6 12v manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jorgy wrote: I'd like some info on this very forum, FCF, i.e. who owns it, who funds it, in other words anything pertaining to estimating whether it'll still be safely around in 5 or 10 years time or it'll dissapear bec owner(s) moved to...Italian cars/was bored/didn't have money, etc etc. Thanks!
Hi George,

The FCF (and BX Club forum) are owned by someone who very much sits in the background and day to day running and technical maintenance is devolved to me. Both forums share a good, commercial web host but the databases are hosted somewhere else where they're accessible to me for backup and data integrity purposes. Backups are taken one per day, usually around 05:00, and so the oldest backup is no more than 24 hours old.

Funding is via volountary contributions to the BX Club and FCF bank account.

I run these forums whith a great deal of passion and can assure you that they will be kept running for ever if I have anything to do with it :lol:

I'm always nearby so any problems that do occur will be are are dealt with very promptly. If I don't respond, be sure Steve (Myglaren) will!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I should add to the above that I don't own, nor have any rights to the data in the forum databases. I'm their custodian and guardian only.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi All

I consider that it is important that the situation with Club-xm must not be intermeshed with FCF or any other currently running Citroen Forum. To find that a site owner lays virtually dormant for years then pops up for a couple of posts saying I own everything is an experience I wish to avoid in future if I can. Many of us from Club-xm appear to have copies of our efforts there but posting up complete copies of Club-xm threads without consent and new input from all the authors is just asking for trouble. If you hold the original of your own item that was copied to Club-xm then making another copy anyware you chose is no problem but most posts gain tremendous value from the input of others.

I will do my best to support the new independant XM site if it gets going.

John
Xmexclusive
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

Hi guys,

The situation from my end of things is this at the moment:

I have a server installed and online, and the domain www.club-xm.co.uk is pointing to it. A forum will be going up on this address tonight.

HOWEVER... that is not going to be a permanent address, after discussions with John, we have thought it prudent that any new site does not have any named association with Club-XM, for a number of reasons, not least of all, legal implications regarding content etc.

So, whilst the forum will be online at this temporary www.club-xm.co.uk address, and I invite you all to register, as soon as we decide on a new name (there are a few possiblities), the forum will be transferred over to that new domain (with all user registrations and posts intact).

There are efforts being made with regard to content etc, however it is early days. John is currently working on that.

I want to get the involvement of fellow members with regards to what direction this new site should take, but think getting us up and into a forum is the first step.

I have to say a big thank you to the guys here at FCF for their support and kind offers of help, and I'm sure everyone will agree with me.

Please note I am in no way dictating what I think people should do, but we will offer this new forum, and members can decide what happens from there, I hope everyone's happy with that.

Ciarán
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It's been a real pleasure to have you all with us Ciarán and I hope you'll still drop in and see us from time to time and check we're keeping well!

If you don't mind, I'll be signing up on your new forum and submitting my 4HP20 epic! That is of couse, if you don't mind a Xantia owner joining up :lol:

Good luck with the new forum :D What forum software are you planning to use?
Jim

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Hi Ciaran

Sounds good mate, where do i sign :D

I think i will be sticking around here too, its a very friendly informative forum, which is run very well imo thanks Gents its a real home from home so to speak.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Dean,

Thank you, that is very kind :D
Jim

onthecut

Post by onthecut »

So ----

this is where you're all hiding !

I know why our favourite forum went down --- it was a couple of days before I did my first belts change on a 2.5 and I think you were scared I'd ask a difficult question !!!!

Anyway -- be nice if they get it back and running.

2.5 belts ------ easier than the 2.1 by some margin, I'd say.

Mike.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ill certainly be joining up too. :)

Ill still be on here, of course, this is an excellent forum, i have been a member of a few forums through various cars and this is by far the most friendly of them, along with the old club-xm.

Ill look into how i give a donation to FCF ...
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

onthecut wrote: 2.5 belts ------ easier than the 2.1 by some margin, I'd say.
Really! and I reckon a 2.1 is a lot easier than a 1.9, provided that is, Billy Bodger has not been there before with a Loctite fetish :lol:

So, I take it the 2.5 belt went smoothly and no difficult questions needed asking then :wink: :lol:
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote: Ill look into how i give a donation to FCF ...
That will be very appreciated Chris :D

How to do so is fully explained here.
Jim