Xantia driving lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

darragh

Post by darragh »

0004?
:oops:
darragh

Post by darragh »

2 live (lets call them that) wires into the stalk, one for heads and one for dips side lights and interior lights .

this car has alwas had interior lights working so one feed has to be working

so why know side lights too
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

darragh wrote:0004?
:oops:
Instrument cluster. It's the bit of lighting loom that goes to the instruments to light the green dip beam and blue main beam warning lamps.

No worries Darragh, keep the questions coming :D These diagrams can be a bit hard to interpret sometimes.

Sidelights must be on another diagram :roll: I'll look later
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
darragh

Post by darragh »

na dont worry about the side lights
thanks for the help
darragh

Post by darragh »

looking at the charts i can follow the wiring ok
but i cant find one wire which goes to the stalk that will cause all my lights to work or not

are the wires in the car coded so i can identify which one is spliced when i see the car tomorrow
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The three and four digit codes on the wires in your diagrams, are also continuously stamped along the wires.

The only slightly tricky bit, is that there's often a couple of other codes along the wire as well.

Plug colour is the two letter code next to the plug. MR means maroon, BA is beige, BE gives blue, VE is green, NR equals black, GR is grey. Plug contact count (number of possible pins) is the adjacent "V" number, eg 9V. So the plug in the back of your indicator/headlight stalk is 9 way and black (9V NR). The secondary codes on the plug schematic like A3, B2, etc, are indicating which pin position the wire takes in the plug block. You won't find any of these sequences stamped on the wires themselves.

That may sound like a digression, but every code on the diagram is there to help identify the units/wiring.
darragh

Post by darragh »

cool thanks a million for the help
its been a long time since i used wiring diagrams so feeling a bit rusty
great forum here loads of help
thanks again
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Darragh,

Looking back on this thread, I see the Xantia in question is a 1998 model. It might therefore be a Series 2.

The headlight wiring is not much different from the Series 1 but just in case, here is the later wiring diagram:

MK2 Headlight Circuit
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Thanks for that, Jim!

It shows no relays, BTW, so that slight ponderance is now resolved.

Regards, Adam.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

darragh wrote: but i cant find one wire which goes to the stalk that will cause all my lights to work or not
You know Darragh, the common wire is the one from the battery via the engine fusebox to the stalk that runs via loom 10AV and the multi-plug IC01 up on the bulkhead up in the drivers-side inner wing.

Loom 10AV runs across the front crossmember under the radiator and is well known for giving trouble. It gets damp and if anti-freeze leaks on it the wires inside can corrode and give rise to the troubles you have.

If I were a betting man....
Jim

darragh

Post by darragh »

thanks a million for the help with this
i now have the lights working but have not repaired the factory wiring just by passed the feed to the stalk
think the problem could be under the rad you are probally right

thanks again
darragh

Post by darragh »

hi i am back with the same problem, turns out my Xantia is a mark 2.
with the wiring diagram above i see that the power frre comes from the battery through? what is this unit which wire bmf 4 leaves,
is it some type of junction box, is it a switch thats only gets power when the key is in ignition ,
just trying to reduce the guess work for tomorrow
any help would be great
darragh

Post by darragh »

am i right in thinking BMF1 is a maxi fuse unit
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

BMF001 is the underbonnet fusebox.
darragh

Post by darragh »

ya cool nice one thanks man
trying to fix this wiring this time not just get it working