Adjusting ZX rear ride height.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think all that will happen with larger tyres at the rear is the wheelarches will on the tops of the tyres, i think your best bet is either fit a tow bar or see if you can find suspension assisters, like caravanning boys use

regards malcolm
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

handyman wrote:Interesting that a thread that started out as a query about suspension has headed off in the direction of adjusting the headlamps and a talking car!

All I wanted was to stop the car looking overloaded when I put something heavy in the boot. :roll:

I think the best bit of advice so far is to fit larger wheels at the back, or the converse, smaller ones at the front. :roll: Anybody got a spare sump pan.......

Handyman
It does tend to go that way. :D
The reason I mentioned the internal headlamp adjusters was that it was my impression that all non-hydro French cars were equipped with them to prevent just the situation you find yourself in and perhaps you had missed it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Spring asisters for torsion bar suspension setups are nigh on impossible to obtain Malcolm :( It used to be the bane of 405 owners lives (including me) who tugged a caravan around.

As far as I know, the only way to up the height is to pull the torsion bars out and rotate them a couple of notches on the splines. It's a job though but a great opportunnity to replace the trailing arm bearings whilst you're about it.

As RichardW says, not a job for the faint of heart but somehow, Handyman, I don't think you fall into that category :)

Another thought. Try to get hold of a set of torsion bars and ARB from a sportier ZX (Volcane, GTi) as they might well be stiffer than the current ones. Failing that, the bars from a sportier 306 might do.

I like threads that drift around topic and veer a little off. Makes it all the more interesting :D I once used to visit a forum where the mods would not tolerate even a slight deviation from topic. It resulted in a thread lock and a telling off :shock: Made it all a bit sterile really. Everybody, and this is one of your admins speaking, please do continue :D It keeps threads lively, productive and a good read!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

When a lady friend bumped the front of my ZX (Aura) recently the body shop refitted one headlight aimed miles too high! :roll:

So I took it to my usual garage and my tame mechanic showed me that the lights have adjusters fitted to the outsides*, he corrected both lights in about 3 mins free of charge :)

* he lifted the bonnet, and ferkled around in gap between the light and the wing with a screwdriver of some sort, it only took seconds to alter the beam direction between checks.

He also told me that if I want to carry a heavy load in the back, to use the adjusters so my lights remain aimed ahead.. Apparently, according to him, that's precisely what the adjusters are there for.. :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Well after James' last comment, I will have to go and have a ferkle under the bonnet. Only thing is I do not know which car to do it in! :shock:

Handyman
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think the ZX adjusters have plastic handles on them - so load compensation can be done without tools - and without interfering with the alignment settings.
jeremy