My first Citroen

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Talking of fuel filters, if you're going to run on veg, don't get a plastic open bottomed filter, they expand and can be a bugger to get out.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I just got the car home from Cornwall, and my first journey was 200 miles in the lashing rain!

One of the first things I noticed about the car was how it, well, not exactly wallowed, but seemed a little 'mis-directed', shall we say? Must be the suspension.

I noticed it less when on straight roads and m-ways, but it's there. I'm not complaining, just observing.

What else? Oh, the windscreen seems to like misting up in the corners and along the edges - this normal?

Final thing in the cockpit... it's got what I guess is an original radio cassette doodah in it - can this be changed for something with a CD player? If so, does this interfere with the rather handy steering wheel controls?

I'll check under the bonnet for the more important thigns when it stops raining, and get back, perhaps, probably in other threads.

:)
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Tim,

Great stuff :D Welcome to Xantiaworld!!!

Yes, misting aroound the corners of the windscreen on a wet day is normal. It's often confined to a patch in the lower corner of the drivers side. Rear screens mist up on hatches but estates don't nearly as badly unless loaded up with four kids - kids seem to have very hot, steamy breath :roll: A misting windscreen (sit down now with a stuff drink..) can also be a sign of a weepy heater matrix. Can you smell the dread smell of hot anti-freeze when the heater is on?

The suspension sounds like the spheres are not in their first flush of youth and are down a bit on pressure. Is it a bit bouncy, feeeling like the shocks are on the way out? Of course a Xantia does not have conventional shocks but half flat spheres feel a bit like that coupled with a feeling you're driving a bouncy castle. Luckily, a set of spheres are easy enough to replace and not expensive. Take a fast ride over a hump-backed bridge. If the car oscillates that comfirms the spheres. Do a good bout of Citarobics as soon as you can and see if that improves matters. Also, have a good look at the LHM and consider a filter clean, hydraflush and LHM change. Have a listen for a regular ticking from the accumulator sphere area (pressure regulator) with the engine idling. If the ticks occur less than 30s apart, your accumulator sphere is flat. The accumulator sphere is the one on the front of the enine near the starter motor and is a hydraulic battery in effect. The ticks are made by the pressure regulator cutting in an out to maintain system pressure at 170 bar. The flatter and more worn the accumulator, the more often the regulator will tick.

Don't be too hasty with the origional wireless. It's basically a good 'un in the MK1 and you shoud have the 3.5mm jack on the front (labelled CD) which you can plug your iPod into. Who needs a CD player? Otherwise, look for a high-spec Xantia in a scrapyard with the 10 CD jukebox. These are excellent as they still have the CD socket so you can have wireless, CDs and iPod as the fancy takes you :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

citrojim wrote:Don't be too hasty with the original wireless.
Is that what everyone else now calls a radio? You "Old crusty" Jim :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
deian

Post by deian »

Gone are the days of CD's, I can't remember the last time I went to HMV to buy a CD. If you have an iPod Touch and use iTunes then why go out to the shop? Better to spend your time in the car!!

I highly recommend the iPod Touch. Best thing I ever bought!

My dad still calls them wireless! When were they ever wired in the olden days? Not like it was cable before going 'wireless' is it.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I call 'em a wireless by habit Dei as one of my other pastimes is vintage radio :)

Every wireless in my house is at leat 40 years old and all have valves in them. The only wirelesses I have with these new-fangled transistor things in them are in the cars.. Several of my wirelesses still in daily use are older than me. I have two of the very first ones able to receive FM (or what in those days was called VHF) The dials have all those lovely old station names on them - Hilversum, Allouis and of course Home, Third and Light...

Wireless in the radio context is exactly the same as say, a wireless network connection on a computer; there's no wires between the source (transmitter) and you, the listener.

My vintage wirelesses are anything but, they are full of wires :lol:

I have to agree on the iPod touch. Brilliant little thing but for now, my first generation iPod Nano still cuts the mustard, it sits on the flat part of the dash in front of the instrument binnacle a perfect treat.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:Is that what everyone else now calls a radio? You "Old crusty" Jim :lol:
:lol: :lol: All part of my love of bygone technology Richard I guess. I do get stuck in the past sometimes. I still refer to frequencies in cycles per second rather than Hertz :roll:
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If you've got a couple of hundred quid to spare, Blaupunkt do some very nice head units which with the adaptor cable will work with the wheel buttons, and with a BlueTooth adaptor also connect to your phone.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Not like it was cable before going 'wireless' is it.
Yes, it was!

'Wireless' is short for 'wireless telegraph' - messages were previously sent over cables by Morse code or telephone :)
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Whilst you're talking so keenly about radios etc, I rememberd that the crystal display on the new car is wonky - I mean that parts of the screen are not displaying. Is this common on the Xantia and therefore is there a know fix for it? Hopefully not involving ripping the whole unit out.

I have identified the jack on the front - indeed it says 'CD'. And I can really just plug an ipod into that and then use the display to pick and play tracks? I've never even touched an iPod, let alone use one, so have no idea about it.

I'd be loathe to change the Citroen stereo, tbh, and now I have found the jack I'm quite encouraged, it's the wonky/AWOL screen that's bugging me now.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Napoleon wrote:I have identified the jack on the front - indeed it says 'CD'. And I can really just plug an ipod into that and then use the display to pick and play tracks? I've never even touched an iPod, let alone use one, so have no idea about it.
You can plug anything in that has a headphone socket. All you need is one of these. All you get is sound, all controlling other than volume is done from the device.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

8)
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm sure the LCD display is fixable; you'd need to have some common sense and perseverance however. It's probably the conductive polymer contacts between the crystal screen and its mount that have lost connectivity.

Regards, Adam.
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Thanks Adam, I have started another thread on this, but suffice to say that I have done an ebay search and turned up a few radios which I may look into or not.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Here's a photo of the engine:

Any observations from this pic?
Last edited by Napoleon on 16 May 2010, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ