jgra1 blog

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: jgra1 blog

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote:ni rush James :) got plenty on
You can say that again John! If you are finishing the 'van by mid-March then you certainly have...

Knowing you I know you will :)

May the remaining work all go smoothly [-o<
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Haven't the regs recently changed requiring the CU to be metal cased?

...Have to confess to the fact that last time I actually read one of the manuals was probably about 10 years ago. Just before the change to the 3 phase colours happened so that caught me totally off guard the first time I encountered it while standing on my head in a barn.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The change of three-phase wiring colours makes no sense at all :( Why?
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

No idea...Black grey and brown are nigh on impossible to tell apart in a filthy, poorly lit situation such as that you encounter when dealing with refrigeration equipment on a farm. Especially fun when you then take into account the fact that the system has been hacked, bodged, butchered and modified by so many poorly trained monkeys over the years that you've already got two different sets of single phase colours, whichever wire someone had on the back of the truck on the day that they had to rewire the cutout on that compressor...

May well have to deal with it some day, as I've never fully dismissed the idea of getting involved in the HVAC trade as it's something I find very interesting and I've worked alongside trained technicians quite a bit in the past - though I'm honestly not sure if I could handle all the red tape that's involved these days.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I believe there's a lot of colour-blind people that have great difficulty with the new colours too Zel...

R-Y-B was just so logical and obvious... Still, who are we to know the reason why...

HVAC is a good trade to be in ;)
jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

i didnt even know of this change ! then I wouldn't really ...

presumably appliances I have can still use old colours ?

doing the 12v today.. will fit a 240 hook up socket tomorrow I think ..it's a start :)
jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

I cant find this cable anywhere chaps? I haven't looked that much but..

Today I fitted floor joists.. the time has gone, now I have to fit all I can, as soon as I can, and worry about the other things some other year..

Compared to a tent (which I like and use often) a van with a bed, a sink, lights and entertainment is a massive step up! :)

ps. has anyone got a fuel pressure reg sitting about, a used one? I haven't time to grab some from the wreckers, and with second hand items costing £30 on ebay, that is not worth my cash..

normally I grab a handful when in the yards, but not had time recently..

As the injectors are same as 2.0 HDI 8V, I am certain the FPR will be, worth trying anyway for the sake of 2 bolts... Mine is ok but I want to try another, just an inkling..
jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

all, is it possible for a new heater matrix to start leaking straight away? ..noticed a drip today under dash :( .. bear in mind both the heater and radiator started leaking after the engine swap - both were old..both replaced with new

John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote:all, is it possible for a new heater matrix to start leaking straight away?
Yes. I saw a pattern one that was just a bit too big for the heater box and in no time at all it rubbed holes in the bottom 'U' tubes where they contacted and rubbed against the bottom of the heater box...

I pray you have not got this issue John [-o<
jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

fitted in fine I think Jim

was wondering more about the coolant and issues with that..
I didn't use mineral water for one thing, although I am in a good water area over here..

will keep an eye on it, have yet to drive it more that 20meters in 1st since the change recently.. to be honest, re doing it right now wouldn't be a massive mare, but unwelcome none the less
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

A bottle of Forte might be a good call too John ;)

Maybe just condensation or old coolant (from before the change) still milling around perhaps?