jgra1 blog

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: jgra1 blog

Post by RichardW »

jgra1 wrote: the docs mention 8x125 39 which I assume is 125mm long.. there is no way these injector clamps use bolts of that length.. the ones I have are 55mm and are about 5mm too long.. confused..

getting there..
8x125 39 is M8 x1.25mm thread pitch x 39mm long....which sounds too short compared to what you think!!

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

perfect .. that sounds ideal Richard :)

god knows why I thought 125mm! I am new to all this doc stuff hehe

right.. so it's possible and not suprising that the wrong bolts were fitted before .. anyway.. for now will find some suitable from the used bolt trays .. I really need a type that has a curved section below the head but they may have to wait ..

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

not much updating here, but I have forged onwards every day and weekend..

Injector bolts were perfect, and correct! expensive even 2nd hand but they are kinda handy.. the original 3 from the engine will turn up just at the end!

Turbo rebuilt.. here lies some worry.. I feel that there was movement afterwards.. I have double checked, and can only hope the twin-feed bearing needs constant pressurised oil to take up the clearance.. but the engine has to go back in now, as I need the wheels on and other stuff.. this morning before work, after the usual low sleep night, the tractor pulled up and carried it back outside to the van.. its sitting on slabs and wrapped in plastic, but the winds are going to build tonight for a couple of days I think.

it should be an easy fit, being pushed in rather than dropped, but fitting any engine in the dark is tricky..
will keep posting slowly

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

John, you're right about the turbo and its oil requirements :)

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

;) thanks jim

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

the van ran!! it must have beem 6 weeks since i started pulling the engine out .. :)

sounds ok.. nothing major to report except a drip of fresh oil from turbo... and she doesn't stop in the key, straightaway

if I do end up changing the cartridge after all so it goes... otherwise happy so far. clutch seems nice although she's still up in air... no smoke or obvious oil in intercooler pipes but haven't looked much..

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news John :D I'm delighted. Well done!!!

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

what a Christmas pullaver this all is lol

I did a quick calculation (and I am biased) but I think the Xantia TD engine work, the coupe v6 engine change, the MG rebuild, and the X7 engine change, plus work on the VFR**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] and Goldwing combined - do not match the cost and effort of this sodding white elephant (near the room)

I have booked an mot on Friday afternoon.. I have little idea of what will happen.

I did drive the van for the first time on the weekend, 30 Meters up a slight incline.. I floored it in 2nd after it was warm and it wasn't vey inspiring to be honest..

Thinking that it was similar to a c5 2.0 hdi engine, and maybe similar weight (empty) I was expecting a slight turbo boost and a need to change to third but it wasn't quite like that.. is sort of leisurely accelerated and I ran out of road ?..

The rad has since sprang a leak.. I am still undersealing (hatefull really) and I think the turbo noise isn't a good one ( a whine more than a whistle)

anyway, a couple more days to do what I can.. :)

John

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

All the best for the MOT John [-o<

Once it's all fitted out as a motorhome it will have all been worth it ;)

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Jim :)

well tonight I have thrown my uniform of the last month (2 fleeces, t-shirt, 4 socks, thermals, and hat) in the wash - I do not want to see them again for some time! (days) I cannot do anymore at the moment except tomorrow drive 'round the block' (about a mile of thin lanes) and if nothing major happens then a 4 mile trip to get fuel, then if that is ok, I will set out for the 20 mile round trip for the MOT at lunch..

the hardest 3 months of my life I think...

I am expecting fails :

smoke (haven't seen much but haven't driven anywhere- but there is a small drip of clean oil from the turbo) - and its a bit whiny
brake efficiency (esp back brakes)
handbrake travel (may adjust in morning)
slight stiction from strut mount offside

if the structure of the van, the 30 chassis joins, the 10 welding areas of interest, outriggers, the floor etc all get by then it is indeed Christmas! and if I get there and back that will help.. the turbo can be just about changed in situ..

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That wasn't the washing machine you threw the washing in! It was the furnace!

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

;) indeed..

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

good news ;) she survived her first test drive! felt a but more pokey and I decided to just wait 4 hours (hell) and then we went straight to the mot.. the guys were in a good mood.. me being early and a cancellation meant they could close up shop early .. and I watched like a hawk through the test ..got some nice comments and acknowledgements and the screen washer misbehaved .. the brakes were good. the smoke was fine..the undersealing and welding attracted no interest .. it passed with nothing..zip..nada..

it's still sinking in as I sink a much deserved prosecco ;)

the turbo whine does bother me but that can wait ..

merry Christmas ;)
John

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Yay! Another car has passed its' MoT!

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Nice Christmas present there John!