jgra1 blog

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I can really say you have a great shed there John and I can say that with conviction now I've seen it :lol:

It was really great to see you and Holly on Saturday and all in all, it made a great day out :D

Hope the VFR**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] charging problems are now resolved and it was good to look at a bike and an outboard for a change!

I'll be interested to see inside the outboard when it comes apart and anxious to hear how the Mondy repair goes. That head is incredibly heavy :twisted:

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Jim

Sorry OT as usual :D

VFR**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
the new Reg rec is here, boxed, and made by tourMax, who made one of the seemingly dodgy ones in my horde..

http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27739&page=1

reading through a bit of that, one person on page 7 or 8 found RR problems due to a connection upstream at his CDi unit..
I will fit a CPU or power supply fan to the new unit, with a diverter to move the heat away out the bike - if I can.. and will use some thermal compound to help the heat path back to the subframe..

Rain is now my other worry.. plenty of it for 1000km tomorrow and Friday :evil:

Mond,
valve clearances all @.2 and .3 for inlet and exhaust...

that's all folks :twisted:

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Hi John,

I'm curious to know if you identified the belt rattle in the end?

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

never got near it Mike :twisted: it's on the list.. seems to be a bit better now..

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

I made it! :D
1200 miles over 3 days of riding (2 days rest in between) , and the aches went after the second day.. it's very easy to drive in Europe .. the surfaces are perfect everywhere, I didn't realise just how bad even new stretches of Uk motorways are!

120Mph was the speed I held for periods, I didn't try any faster as there was luggage on board and I couldn't get down as much as I wanted..

the charging seems to be fixed.. the whole journey was with the headlight, and the battery is fine :twisted: a real last-minute fix.

the only issue, somewhere crossing into Germany, the bike seemed to swtich onto 3 cylinders/ then 4 then 3 etc.... I never found out why, despite checking all I could and changing what i thought was the problem cylinder's plug (it was noticably blacker than the adjacent cylinder) the bike fluctuated between 3 and 4 for the rest of the trip.. seemingly running on 4 above 90mph.. so I think it has done no real harm.. very hard to know quite how to cadjoule it onto 4, but I would say 80% of yesterday it was running fine..

a good trip, nice to hit the road despite the weather :D

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome back John and delighted all went really well :D I'd have been rather nervous about you doing it had you not swapped the regulator...

That misfiring is odd. You say a black plug? Maybe it's running really rich. It the spark had stopped, I'd have expected to have found it a bit wet. Sounds like it's the injection side playing up...

How was the weather on your epic road trip?

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

hi Jim :D I want to take all plugs out and compare them.. I know the V4 runs slightly different mixtures or timing to keep the cylinders all at the same temp.. there is a useful coil test in the BOL too.. and the wiring diagrams are excellent! in colour.. I may attach a strobe to the leads as well.. there is a self diagnostic on the ecu which may help..

weather.. was dodgy.. I finally made the decision to go after I had arrived :twisted: the way back was sunny and made up for everything...

I just realised, 450 miles in 6 1/2 hours, on the way back.. :D

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

Mike, careful prodding with a long bar reveals looseness on the pulley of the brand new aux tensioner.. to check further I guess is a full aux belt off etc :evil: .. wondering if either the bearing has already collapsed, or if I made an error fitting the washer(s) .. but it's definitely looser that I would want

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

jgra1 wrote:
Mike, careful prodding with a long bar reveals looseness on the pulley of the brand new aux tensioner.. to check further I guess is a full aux belt off etc :evil: .. wondering if either the bearing has already collapsed, or if I made an error fitting the washer(s) .. but it's definitely looser that I would want

Hi John, When you say loose, are you meaning the mounting or the wheel? Did you have difficulty fitting it? Yes, I would pull it off it again and refit ASAP, we know what a stray aux belt can do, don't we. :evil:

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

seems the wheel Mike.. yep I had finished a 309 off with a lost aux belt :twisted:

all went together fine when I fitted it..

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_2fj8MH_LeQ0/T ... to0029.jpg

added some cladding to the side of the workshop :) have stained all of it since then.. Mike your security light is there :D

£10 pillar drill coming tonight :twisted:

MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Looking really good, John :) I'm glad to see the light's been put back into service.

jgra1

Post by jgra1 »

I finally got around to stripping my original V6 engine today.. the rear right piston (rear back) has a twisted and shortened conrod.. but also, the front right inlet valve (front bank) had seem some foreign items.. (this cylinder reported good compression before I took the engine out)

http://406coupesev6.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... isted.html

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote:the rear right piston (rear back) has a twisted and shortened conrod..
:shock: Now there's interesting John! Good job you went for a transplant and not simply a head job. That's amazing how it's twisted 8-)

Be interesting to see the conrod itself!

Toby_HDi

Post by Toby_HDi »

Hmm, interesting indeed.

How on earth has it managed that?!

Thanks for the picture of the drain plug, a week late but I now know for next time! Is the front one in the same position?