Xantia Estate Handling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: Jim had a chance to experience how good a drive she is today :)
Indeed, she drive beautifully :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Xac,

I like the extra weight it tends to give me a feeling of extra security, the weight also lets you connect with the car better if you know what I mean?

I think the original poster might consider a can of Hydra flush or what ever it is called and some new spheres, it really does make the suspension improve, mine was done about 18 months ago and the ride is better than ever. I know it can find leaks to but that's a good thing right?

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I know exactly what you mean Nigel, Cassy's like an extension of me (someone calm malcolm down when he reads this) much like when I rode a motorbike in my youth.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

:D
someone calm malcolm down when he reads this
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

Good topic, but no-one has mentioned how a slightly over-negative camber rear arm will cause a dangerously unstable rear axle. Peugeot's nastiest aspect.
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

sorry to be a critic but we don't mention that nasty word here on the Citroen section :twisted:
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Dave V6
My Cars:

Post by Dave V6 »

addo wrote:... My generally rough treatment of the car may have also started to upset one of the coil packs - I was getting an intermittent stumble at light throttle settings, coming home from the track.

Cheers, Adam.
Hello - can I ask how you solved the intermittent stumble? I have a similr ailment on my xantia V6, and am trying to figure out what it is...

Many Thanks,

Dave.
falling-out-with-my-car

that's strange my diesel does that sometimes during acceleration its almost as though there is no throttle response for just a second no more than that.
I have cleaned the tank sender unit and changed fuel filters with no significant improvement, it still does it very occasionally especially after the engine has been hammered on a run to and over a 100mph.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:that's strange my diesel does that sometimes during acceleration its almost as though there is no throttle response for just a second no more than that.
I have cleaned the tank sender unit and changed fuel filters with no significant improvement, it still does it very occasionally especially after the engine has been hammered on a run to and over a 100mph.
Cassy does when she's cold, there's a small air leak or two in the lines (she's due some TLC this weekend so I'll be doing some hunting and replacing then).
The other thing I've noticed on several XUDs ranging from back in my 205 days, you get more oomph if you ease off the pedal a little bit.

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car

could it be as simple as air getting into the fuel lines on the petrol versions then?
falling-out-with-my-car

Cassy does when she's cold, there's a small air leak or two in the lines (she's due some TLC this weekend so I'll be doing some hunting and replacing then).
The other thing I've noticed on several XUDs ranging from back in my 205 days, you get more oomph if you ease off the pedal a little bit.
Xac, I dont know what your sender unit connections are like but try disconnecting them and smearing a little L-SX Silicone around the plastic pipes before reassembly leave 2 hours to cure, this stops the S2 pipes sucking air at the sender unit connections, I believe that my Dads Mk1 has hose clips on his sender unit whereas my S2 has clip on connectors with a rubber seal inside the connector bonded to the fuel lines.

it makes it easier to remove the pipes in the future as well as the silicone lubricates the join. L-SX silicone can be bought from all good independent plumbers merchants, I also have a distorted XUD filter housing the L-SX comes in handy there to.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

When I cleaned the mesh on the sender I replaced the clips (I'm not as skilled as Jim in reusing them :D ) with jubilee clips so they're nice and tight, but, with the age of the rubber there's always the possibility of small cracks.
I also need to unblock the vent on the tank as there's often a sucking sound when I open the filler cap, which isn't helping.

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:I also need to unblock the vent on the tank as there's often a sucking sound when I open the filler cap, which isn't helping.
I'd sort that out PDQ if I was you Xac, if its left like that you might find the tank takes less fuel each time you fill up as it gradually gets sucked together.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Dave V6 wrote:Hello - can I ask how you solved the intermittent stumble? I have a similr ailment on my Xantia V6, and am trying to figure out what it is...
That was a while ago, and pre-Lexia!

Fault was simple - an internally bad pair of battery terminals. I renewed the starter cable and terminals; been all good since.
falling-out-with-my-car

Xac wrote:When I cleaned the mesh on the sender I replaced the clips (I'm not as skilled as Jim in reusing them :D ) with jubilee clips so they're nice and tight, but, with the age of the rubber there's always the possibility of small cracks.
I also need to unblock the vent on the tank as there's often a sucking sound when I open the filler cap, which isn't helping.
Thats one of the perils of running on veg oil Xac, treat it to some diesel or up to 10% petrol per tank full and the blockage will clear, I had exactly the same problem last year.

regards Nigel.