Xantia Blower Fan Speed Control: Testing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The slider control panel is in perfect condition. Unfortunately - as this means I need to investigate the climate ECU.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Today I reached the end of this present investigation. Not saying the problem is cured, but some observations/comments:

1. Climate ECU is fairly easy to remove from below once you know how - just release the spring tab on the forward side and pull it down.
2. There were slight signs of antifreeze in the ECU box and oxidisation around some of the solder joints. On looking closely, I noticed what appeared to be a film of antifreeze/oxide under the bottom-most chip (a surface mount EEPROM).
3. The chip was desoldered, everything wiped clean with paper towel and boiled water then patted dry. Resoldering wasn't too hard with the heat gun set to hot with low fan, and a fine nozzle.
4. A final inspection under bright sunlight showed no further areas for concern.

A new ECU is about on par with the estate luggage blind - dear as poison. Fixes are well worth looking into!
Axa
My Cars: 2008 Renault Grand Espace 2.0dci Auto.
2006 Citroën C5 1.6hdi.

Re: Xantia Blower Fan Speed Control: Testing

Post by Axa »

My fan runs only at fullspeed, And only just after starting the engine.
After changing the transistors on the fan, its now possible to turn the fan of. But off or full speed is the only alternatives.
Betwene the thin wires (White and Orange) I can measure 7,5V when the fan is not running, and 8,2V at full speed.
What should my next step be? What is most likely. Faulty ECU or faulty speed regulator?

Best regards, Gunnar.
2006 C5 1.6 HDi ( vin: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] )
2008 Grand Espace 2.0Dci Auto
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Axa wrote:My fan runs only at fullspeed, And only just after starting the engine.
After changing the transistors on the fan, its now possible to turn the fan of. But off or full speed is the only alternatives.
Betwene the thin wires (White and Orange) I can measure 7,5V when the fan is not running, and 8,2V at full speed.
What should my next step be? What is most likely. Faulty ECU or faulty speed regulator?

Best regards, Gunnar.
Have you had the fan out to check that it actually isn't running?
They're pretty silent up until they are nearly running at full power.
If the fan is spinning at the lower settings, then it may be time to replace your pollen filter.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Axa
My Cars: 2008 Renault Grand Espace 2.0dci Auto.
2006 Citroën C5 1.6hdi.

Post by Axa »

Yes, the fan is only going full or nothing. I was checking with the lid to the filter open.
And as said before. Only 7,5V or 8,2V in the orange and white wire. Any suggestions?
2006 C5 1.6 HDi ( vin: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] )
2008 Grand Espace 2.0Dci Auto
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Re:

Post by uhn113x »

CitroJim wrote: For those looking at this diagram in the Northern Hemisphere, please rotate your monitor through 180 degrees.

The diagram will also print upside-down but if you similarly rotate the paper through the same 180 degrees, it'll appear to be the right way up :P
Swap leads on scan coils or use a mirror from the pound shop to view it? :lol:
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension