Xantia starting problem - 1998 TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

yep I do have a habit of filling up to the brim, its a bit messy and time consuming - prefer to 'fuel up' for a week or two when conditions are favourable..

I can be a bit spontaneous sometimes, and find myself doing a 200 trip on a weekday evening for an ebay item I really dont need, but dont really want to be adding extra WVO in dodgy weather ...

When filling up at garages before finding out about SVO/WVO, I used to only ever put £10 in.. now, seeing the gauge full every other week is a nice suprise :)

(but I wont fit my towbar as the extra weight worries me) :shock:
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

All fixed

glows 2 and 3 were bad, even thought a 'light test' showed them to be ok..

:)

edit..

I would happily change 10 no#4 glowplugs to never have to mess about with the main front/back IC Turbo pipe again.. hate hate hate...!

Trying to get the rear plastic end in, blind, with arms crushed by manifold is horrible..

the pipe gets in the way of a lot of the engine and removal is useful.. thinking to make a join in it, so it can be removed easily for servicing the car... any thoughts?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent John! I thought they looked bad from your blog pictures. They've not lasted very well. id you not replace them in the summer?

What make were they?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

hi Jim..

they were the ones in the spare head... removed tested and refitted.. I am not sure on make :(

they could have been months or years old.. but sure failed quickly and together.. is there any link between glowplugs and what you put in tank? (dads idea) I cant see one..

glad I have some spares... :D

what on earth was in the injector hole ? :shock:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Apart from the fact that veg runs a bit hotter John, should make no difference at all to glowplug life. However..

It'll be worth checking the controller is good and they're not remaining on all the time. Conceviably, if the post-heat function was unhappy, they could carry on glowing for all the time the engine is running and this would seriouusly shorten their lives.

The deposits look like polymerised veg to me. You can see it on the injector threads and around the head. If that cylinder was strugging to fire, it'll build up. In an IDI engine, nothing to worry about as it won't reach the piston but it's this polymerisation that kills a DI engine running on veg. It gums up the rings, gets into the sump and turns the oil to jelly :shock: In an IDI it gets destroyed very effectively in the inferno that burns in the pre-chamber. I was not aware until recently, but the bottom of the pre-chamber glows red-hot when the engine is running, hence why it is not unusual to see little radial cracks extening from its throat.

In short, it looks bad John, but nothing to worry about at all. It's just a very devil to clean off.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...