Veggie and Activa tales but now rental reviews blog!

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Veggie and Activa tales but now rental reviews blog!

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote:Thank you again Jam ;)
Not a spelling mistake :) I was making a batch of strawberry jam when Will arrived..

Will, that's normal temperature for an Activa. They do get very hot as soon as they stop. Oil temperature is always reassuringly low, Only time I've seen an Activa run hot oil is when I had an airlock in the cooler - shows how necessary they are...

I know what those pipes taste like :lol: I found that testing the advance capsule on a 205 dizzy by blowing down the pipe. Very nearly made me dizzy..

Back box may be from a 1.9TD. They fit a treat but as you say, they are not right...

KP

Post by KP »

What I may do is get it off and knock it's guts out before replacement Jim.

I actually think looking at the tip it could be from an sd and not turbo as it's a tiny little pea shooter :(

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote: I actually think looking at the tip it could be from an sd and not turbo as it's a tiny little pea shooter :(
Now I know why I thought it sounded so quiet!

KP

Post by KP »

Yip. Definitely both great for on boost, prob release a bit more torque when done as it could be restraining the turbo.

Tomorrow morning the dipstick gets ordered so that's one thing ticked off the list!

KP

Post by KP »

Well the fun and games have started.

I'm just watching as National Tyres do the wheel alignment and spend more time assessing the car than the job I've asked like most places these days to scare up some more work I suppose.

For £15 it's worth a shot at getting it done and sorted and then look at getting the height sorted. The height lever alignment. Is bugging me though and can't wait to get the vents and switches sorted as it just looks naff with them all wonky under the vents.

Ac is on the list when I get home followed by a wash :)

KP

Post by KP »

Well the alignment so far seems to have been worth it.

Time will tell i suppose.

Anyway as well as washing i gave the car some time with another new toy. A clay mitt!

Seems to have improved the bodywork no end when you run your fingers over it.
Also spent some time with WD40 and kitchen roll on the bottom door halfs getting the tar spots off them.
Soaped the car down quickly and then hosed it off. Got rid of most of the moss but there are still lingering bits but as the bodywork is done i think i'll let Vince enjoy that part of the bodywork :D

Next is the radio needs looking at then the inside cleaning so will go have a nose over the radio bits now.

Bad news is that i have found an annoying fault that is going to be a right PITA to fix and likely require a new part :( and a rare if still stocked one!

The activa roll control system at the front needs new rubber guides. These are still stocked but the worst part is the actual drivers side control arm is loose at the sensor/corrector end in the middle of the subframe :( it moves about 1-2mm and the other side is as i'd expect and doesnt move at all. It looks like its riveted on as well so doubt it can be repaired.

Otherwise the system appears to have no leaks and just needs new rear spheres both corners and centre at some point as its quite hard on the move so needs sorting.

Also i found that the oil breather pipe that dumps into the suction side of the inlet tract was tie wrapped out of the way for a reason... The injector wiring was resting and rubbing against it.

Both 3&4 injector connector cables are a bit poo looking as they have broken the rubber boots and just the wires(still in sheaths) are there so thats something i'd like to fix right. Temp fix has been to turn the injector so the plug receiver points towards the back of the engine bay as they should do.

Anyway tomorrows call to citroen will be for the active roll control rubber bushes (called 2 GUIDE SET 527630 £15.31) and a correct Dipstick(not me!!) 117422 (£9.84)

Captain Slow

Post by Captain Slow »

I'd just like to clarify that I did nothing to the car bar MOT it.

KP

Post by KP »

That's cool Simon, the stuff I'm going thru has been there for a fair while from the dirt and all on it :)

Like any car that's been sat for a while and had little use over the years :)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Will, the Activa roll corrector quadrant can be rebuilt. I know exactly the problem you have and it's down to worn rivets in the mechanism. Those, by a skilled engineer, can be removed and replaced and thus get rid of all the play.

I did that on the original Rattiva and furthermore on that car the whole quadrant was seized..

Excellent on the claybar!

KP

Post by KP »

That's great news Jim!

How hard is it to remove the unit?

The clay mitt is a great thing but I reckon you may only get 4 cars out of it before it's used up or a lot more uses if it's used on the same car every month to keep them paintwork good.

KP

Post by KP »

Well dipstick and guides ordered. not sure if they come as a pair to cover both sides or just one side so that will be a wait and see item...

I have the radio working mostly now and ejected the TAPE that was stuck in it.

Annoying though the radio wont screw into position as the screw parts are missing from the back plate! also it skips to the next station along as if in search mode all the time :(

Anyone come across this before?

Captain Slow

Post by Captain Slow »

Are the screws not in the tub in the boot?

KP

Post by KP »

I think they are but there is nothing to screw then into on the back plate :(

The radio is really annoying as it's just changing itself between stations noatter what I do for some reason, so will get a 3.5mm lead and just use my iphone instead.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote: The radio is really annoying as it's just changing itself between stations noatter what I do for some reason, so will get a 3.5mm lead and just use my iphone instead.
It may be that a button is stuck Will, either on the wireless itself or on the steering wheel. I'd try disconnecting the steering wheel controls first and see if it works..

Have you lost the bushings out of the radio mounting frame then? It's a common problem as there's only just enough room in the dash and if the wireless cables are not very carefully dressed the wireless does not fit comfortably right back and the bush pulls out.

The frame is replaceable separately and is not an integral part of the dash moulding...

KP

Post by KP »

I'm hoping anglesey's finest has one he can put into my pile of required bits.

The rear support bushing is there but the side ones aren't :(

Will try the radio buttons in a bit and see if it helps as didn't think they would stick :)