berlingo fuel problem ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan4heidi
My Cars:

berlingo fuel problem ?

Post by alan4heidi »

hi my 2002 berlingo multispace 1.9 diesel has starting and running problems.this has been going on for a few weeks now ,and today it would not start at all until i used the fuel pump a lot ,then i have to pump the acelerator pedal about 10 times and it may start,,if i take it for a short run up the road it stops every time i dip the clutch,so have to pump the throttle again to get started and keep the throttle going hard to get home,i have checked for water in the fuel filter but there is none,the filter was changed 2 years ago...took the air filter out today and it is very dirty and clogged..brushed it clean,,put it back for now ....any help gratefully recieved thank you engine is 1.9 pre sept 2002 63,500 miles
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds as though you have air getting into the system somewhere. Could be the fuel primer itself, unless its the bulb type, in which case you would see the leak. Could be a blocked fuel filter or a leak at the joint of the body and the filter. Try parking the car on a steep downward facing hill, so the tank is higher than the engine, then look for fuel leaks.
alan4heidi
My Cars:

thanks

Post by alan4heidi »

thank you peter, iwill try to locate a leak today ,,we dont have any hills at all in lincolnshire,dead flat alan