lowest MPG

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Lifetime member of the 2.1TD fan club.
This it?

http://www.lacentrale.fr/photo-auto-occ ... annee=1992
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

:twisted: No! :D

Fortunately, the only similarity between the 2.1TD object of my affection and the ISO container on wheels you've depicted there is the colour :lol:

I'm suprised such a "small" engine as a 2.1 can propel that particular vehicle. The picture says it's a "Limited" What does that mean exactly? Limited performance? Limited appeal? Limited styling? Whatever, my interest in such a device is a certainly limited :lol: :lol:

I have suitably edited my signature to remove any further confusion :lol:

This is a proper 2.1TD :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

lolingram:
This it?

http://www.lacentrale.fr/photo-auto-occ ... annee=1992

Jim:
Fortunately, the only similarity between the 2.1TD object of my affection and the ISO container on wheels you've depicted there is the colour

I'm suprised such a "small" engine as a 2.1 can propel that particular vehicle. The picture says it's a "Limited" What does that mean exactly? Limited performance? Limited appeal? Limited styling? Whatever, my interest in such a device is a certainly limited
The vehicle mentioned refutes the otherwise fairly true statement that no cars of today are truly all bad.... this one is a REAL POS!

Sorry Jim - couldn't resist it!
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lolingram wrote: Sorry Jim - couldn't resist it!
Enjoyed it immensely Lol :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

My ZX auto has returned 55 mpg on a couple of long trips. :) Around town it only averages about 30 ish due to the fact it can't get into top (4th) gear under 42 mph.. :?

Overall it manages to average around 35 ish.. It runs well on straight veggie from the supermarket shelves, but as that now costs as much as diesel I am back to using diesel again... :roll: .
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
telderv
My Cars:

Post by telderv »

have driven more than one vehicle that developed a slight miss fire on mobil diesel, on BP or sainsbury's(5p off with voucher, woo-hoo)at the mo and all good
LAGUNA II 1.9DCI DYNAMIQUE
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Dammit, no matter what, EVERY car I go near these days seems to give me
less miles when I put my 20quid in! Just can't work it out... :wink:

I reckon there's some kind of global conspiracy! :lol:

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 15 Sep 2008, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
telderv
My Cars:

Post by telderv »

thats what the other half is for, run the tank dry, lend her the car, your fuel budget will go a lot further :twisted:
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

OK, OK being serious for a moment. Leaky return pipes on a TD Xantia
managed to empty half a tank of the full unskimmed variety on driving
home. I really could see the fuel gauge dropping as I drove home;
I reckoned it couldn't be THAT bad so kept going as the weather was
totally diabolical and I didn't fancy getting soaked through. :roll:

So, half a tank at Tesco's to home in 30 minutes and about 6 miles of
twisties!! :cry: Some kind of record for a Xantia? Damn diesels, least
I'd have noticed if it'd been petrol!

:lol: still not being serious!

The worst Citroen on fuel ever? (I don't drive anything else! Ever!).
My Activa; it's truly beyond Oliver Reed proportions, so bad I've gone into
denial and won't actually face up to how much it uses so I don't depress
myself, but bad enough to make me check for leaks...

Andrew
telderv
My Cars:

Post by telderv »

have you thought about changing your fuel tank for something more suitable? Have a spare sieve in my kitchen :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote: The worst Citroen on fuel ever? (I don't drive anything else! Ever!).
My Activa; it's truly beyond Oliver Reed proportions, so bad I've gone into
denial and won't actually face up to how much it uses so I don't depress
myself, but bad enough to make me check for leaks...
Andrew, we really must look at yours as there must be something the matter. Gareth's in my ownership was not at all bad and on a run it would do high 30s. I'm sure my red one is even better than that, especially when she drinks V-Power. 160 miles yesterday on a 1/4 of a tank.

It could be my driving though. What is your driving style?

Good tips for good Activa economy is to never labour the engine, keep it spinning so the boost stays on and keeps the volumetric efficiency high. Also, keep away from the furthest reaches of the rev range. Use all the power to quickly get up to speed and then really feather back. It should cruise at 70 on the flat with the throttle barely cracked open. A feather-foot on the throttle always so never drive in divers boots!

Boost leaks, even small ones, will destroy economy.

Around town, they'll never be that good though so if the majority of your driving is hooning around that big town near you, there's the reason. That place, having more than it's fair share of traffic lights, is a disaster area for Activa economy. So what happened? did the council accidentially over order traffic lights and rather than admit their error, just used them wherever they could - like on practically every junction :roll: :lol:

Dunstable is the same :twisted: It has more sets of traffic lights than head of population...
Jim

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

citrojim wrote: :twisted: No! :D

Fortunately, the only similarity between the 2.1TD object of my affection and the ISO container on wheels you've depicted there is the colour :lol:

I'm suprised such a "small" engine as a 2.1 can propel that particular vehicle. The picture says it's a "Limited" What does that mean exactly? Limited performance? Limited appeal? Limited styling? Whatever, my interest in such a device is a certainly limited :lol: :lol:
The 2.1 in the Cherokee was certainly not a Citroen engine... apparently it was French though, a Renault....

My Dad had a Cherokee with the 2.5 diesel which as a VM Motori engine. It was a Sport which meant it as pretty basic, the Limited is the better spec level....
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I can easily get 10mpg negotiating the local traffic aggravation schemes, the wife regularly averages 20mpg going shopping and the best we have seen is a 32mpg average over a tankfull.

When the fuel price was at it's peak it cost £95 to fill up.

And this is from a 2.0 HDi :shock: Pug 807
Gregg1100
My Cars:

lowest MPG

Post by Gregg1100 »

Lowest I ever got was 11mpg out of a 77 Volvo 244 Auto.
Coming close second was 17-20 from a 86 Bx 1.6 Auto. It improved a lot when I threw away the auto choke and made my own choke conversion. With a Monza 1200 caravan dangling on the rear end, the gearbox used to play a nice tune---revs up when it went to third, down when back in 4th, up again wnen baxck to 3rd, higher when it went to 2nd--and so on :D .That was on the flat, with just a few slight gradients thrown in, lol. Box and engine never overheated though.
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
fatherjack2002
My Cars:

Post by fatherjack2002 »

There's a 5min video of the modified "red victor" on Youtube,type in "fastest street legal car" should bring it up, or here's the link (hopefully).........
Regards Paul...AKA Fatherjack
1995 Xantia VSX 1.9 TD, RIP
N*ssan Pr*mera . HATING EVERY MILE
1994 Xantia LX 1.9TD, RIP
1997 Xantia desire 2 re-homed
2002 Pugeot 307 HDI (not quite a Xantia, but still French)