Help my engine managment lights on!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I'm wondering if its a broken wire or a corroded connector somewhere?

There's not much on an HDi engine that will cause it to start normally but then suddenly cut out. Usually faults with them will cause poor starting.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

On the old BX 1.4 there was a chip mounted on the side of the coil that had something to do with ignition timming, I know this HDI isnt a petrol but can't help wondering if there is something like this chip which is overheating and cutting out, hayley mentions that the car starts again after about 1 minute sounds like something has to cool or reset before the engine re-starts.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Hayley*1

Post by Hayley*1 »

Hi,

Didnt get a chance to get it looked at over the weekend,
ill try this week as im desperate for it to be back on the road,

Its strange as the car was running perfect untill it started kicking out the black smoke because that pipe had come off ,it run ok for a week and started doin this, i cant drive it as i only get a little way down the road before it stops, but it starts again a minute or so after,
Also the engine seems to run after ive turned the ignition off!!
that would have anything to do with it would it???

thanks again..

hayley :)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

before it cuts out does the engine rev its self up, if so check the engine oil level is not way over the mark, usualy a diesel running after turnning it off is either far to much engine iol in the sump, or the solanoid shut of playing up and not shutting off clean

regards malcolm
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Hayley*1 wrote:Also the engine seems to run after ive turned the ignition off!!
that would have anything to do with it would it???
On an HDi, running on after the key is turned off can be caused by the pressure regulator on the back of the high pressure fuel pump sticking. 'Screwloose' on the HonestJohn forum often attributes this problem on HDi's to the car being run on "cheap supermarket diesel"!
If so, a small amount of mineral engine oil mixed in with the diesel may help to free it.

On the other hand, I've known running on on Xsara diesels to be caused by a duff ignition switch, which could also explain your cutting out problem.
chelseaalan

Post by chelseaalan »

Hi,

This maybe off the ball but does you car start ok? My xsara had problems not starting first time as it used to and developed the situation when it would cut out and the management light would come on,

This would happen when over 3000rpm and as a result usually at the most difficult place when I needed the revs i.e. coming out of a corner.booting it uphill or overtaking on the motorway,If I kept it 'being gentle'under 3000rpm it was fine.

The problem was the hdi pump starting to break up and faulty #3 injector.

Don't want to send you the wrong way but thought this may help.

Alan
Hayley*1

Post by Hayley*1 »

Hi Alan,

Yes the car starts 1st time i tried it over the weekend it will run a few miles then stop i have to wait a min to restart the engine then it happens again!!
Ive still not had time to get it in the local garage that has a lexia tool to read the codes correctly..

Its a mystery as the car was perfect until the turbo hose came off but i ve had some great advice on here.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

sounds a bit like fuel starvation... :shock: