Save a nice Xantia TD saloon!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Quackers: trust you're only kidding about the auto wipers!!
By that criteria all my VSX's simply need scrapping...

all they really deserve then?

Andrew
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Quackers wrote:I really love Xantia's and Citroen, but i would not bother saving an LX model Xantia or even feel guilty about one being crushed, in my opinion LX's should never have even been given life,

No Hydroactive
No rear electric Windows
No Auto Windscreen wipers

to name but a few downsides.

Only Activa's, Exclusives, and V6's should be saved. Maybe a few nice SX's , but LX's :shock: , i though my first Xantia SX was basic.
I think your wrong, just because its equipment level isnt top spec, this happens in all car enthusiast circles were the most desirable get saved and all the lower spec ones get scrapped, it doesnt take long for them to disappear. Lower spec cars have a different charm but should not be disregarded because they dont have auto wipers (is it really a hassle to switch them on yourself?)

Give me a base model mint condition low miler Xantia over a higher spec one like a VSX thats tatty and been abused.

I certainly wont be getting rid of my LX because its such a good car, who cares it doesnt have electric rear windows i never drive in the back, no hydractive means less to go wrong and the handling is just fine as it is.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Quackers wrote: in my opinion LX's should never have even been given life,
Why? It's a Xantia minus a bit of bling. It is still a Xantia with all the underlying fundamental qualities.

Surely it is better to save a good LX and add trim to it rather than try to save say, a ropey VSX? Trim and bling is easy to fit compared to a lot of jobs needed to bring a Xantia up to scratch mechanically.

OK, I know an LX is not Hydractive but if it's a good 'un and you have a rough VSX donor, the Hydractive stuff could be fitted. A bit of work mind...

Condition over spec every time for me...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

To add,

XantiaMan583 and I have both added higher spec. trim to our base models. In Gareth's case he has a dead ringer for an Activa as a result and my Estate boasts a few VSX bits such as leather. All dead easy to do.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

As Jim as said, lower specs are fine.

Mine is only an SX and I could have said forget it but I haven't, I am going to do the work on it and bring it up to scratch then add the bits a pieces I want from a higher spec model.

A Xantia is a Xantia, whatever it's trim level.
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Post by Quackers »

I must be the only one who gets annoyed when they buy a non top model and have blank buttons where a feature would go.

When i get my C6 next year hopefully i'm not even gonna look at it unless its an exclusive and has the optional Lounge Pack because it will eat away at me not having those rear reclining seats. :shock:

Citroen have always been a leader in putting toys in a car i thought, i just think LX is too basic for a Citroen, it should show Citroen as standard comes with a high spec.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

It annoys me too, but rather than scrapping (unless it really needs to be) I would do the work and then gradually add the toys.

Exactly what I'm doing with mine now (well once I've got mechanicals up together)
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

My LX still has A/C, steering wheel controls and 6 speaker stereo as standard, the air con is probably the most worthwhile feature of all, its hardly basic i.e wind up front windows, no power steering etc.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

citrojim wrote:

Citroens are very addictive Toby. I started off by almost accidentially ending up with a Xantia when I was looking for a 406

Exactly how I did. Wanted a 406 HDi but ended up with the Xantia. All because I couldn't afford to run the Vectra anymore. I've heard the Xantia is slightly better on fuel than the 406 anyway.
Can't believe that others have the p**s taken because of xxxXantias... I only have 3, but my son never stops asking why I don't wear a beret and flog onions.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lolingram wrote: Can't believe that others have the p**s taken because of xxxXantias... I only have 3, but my son never stops asking why I don't wear a beret and flog onions.
You need an H Van for that Lol, not a Xantia :lol:

I've found the best way to silence the critics is to take them for a spin in one. Works every time :D They soon get the message!
Jim