Xantia Rear Wheel bearing again :(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Johnno
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.2 VTR + Nav 173
Mazda 6 2.2 Sports Nav Estate
Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
Ex 2007 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex 2003 C5 2.2 Estate
Ex Xantia 2.1 TD Exclusive
Ex BX 1.7 DTR
Ex BX 1.9 TRS

Post by Johnno »

The GSF kit includes a washer but my experience was that the bearing I bought was in the wrong box and had a different inner dust excluder (this sits on the inside of the bearing and is held by the main shoulder of the stub axle). I replaced it for one that looked the same as the original part and it was this one that had the trouble with the washer not being thick enough. The bearing is absolutely fine and runs smoothly.

Given that there are separate washers available I may just splash out on one and replace the, ahem, non-standard part. I'm sure it would be fine, but it's my Sister-in-law's car, so I guess I oughta.
John
'59 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ saloon, Jaguar 3.8 MkII 1961
RIP - '07 C5 2.2 173 VTX+ Estate
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

DOH i've done the wrong picture :(

http://service.citroen.com/docpr/AC/img ... 44a010.jpg

And oh yes thats a pricey £157 :shock:

Why cant i find a good 1.9td Exclusive in Hatch or Estate guise :cry:
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

KP wrote:Why cant i find a good 1.9td Exclusive in Hatch or Estate guise :cry:
Because Citroën never built any :wink:

By the way your link picture doesn't work as its linked into your own session on the Citroën Service website.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ah Dang :(

Not too long ago there was an Exclusive 1.9td Hatch on ebay, think it was an R plate or something but had all the leather and everything :)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Was very tempted by the 2.1td exclusive on ebay this morning....

However i have a new symptom...

When driving in a straight line the noise completely vanish's and its quiet in the car....(other than a bit from rear wheel bearing of course)
but the noise and vibes thru the car goes away and then slowly over a few seconds comes back...

Sounds like some resonace now to me but it does build with speed...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote:Was very tempted by the 2.1td exclusive on ebay this morning....
A very wise choice :wink: That car in estate form is a most choice vehicle. One of the best Xantias going...
KP wrote: However i have a new symptom...

When driving in a straight line the noise completely vanish's and its quiet in the car....
Is this a new noise in addition to the wheel bearing? If so, can you describe it a bit better and where it seems to be coming from? Duff wheel bearings may be a bit quieter straight ahead as they don't have such a high lateral load on them. Bearings often do make that sort of going inand out of resonance sound when they are beginning to fail.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

luckily its not a new noise but a new symptom of the current/old noise....

I dont think my car could take anymore noise coming thru it as i already have to have the rdio at number 6 at motorway speeds to hear it :(
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Well looking at the back end it looks like both rear wheel bearings are now on their way out AGAIN!!

now there are a lot of puddles on my to and from work when it rains so i guess teh water could be ingressing but i've had much older, higher miled xantias without ANY bearing issues....