MoT - Xantia rear wheel bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well done Ian :D
ianrobbo wrote: Will do a full write up with pictures later in a new thread.
That will be most welcome and appreciated!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantia Boy
My Cars: 1994 Citroën Xantia 2 litre automatic.

Re: MoT - Xantia rear wheel bearings

Post by Xantia Boy »

I've just come across this topic, as I received an advisory for the nearside wheel bearing on my Xantia hatchback, so I've investigated.... (I also received advisories for track rod ends, which I've had done, together with the tracking.) The car had new radius arms fitted 3 years ago and has just clocked up 180+K miles.

I'm gong to replace both sides & I've bought 2 kits from my local factors, which are complete hubs, with the bearings already fitted. Looking at them I'll need to remove the rear brakes (carefully!) before I can gain access to the hub itself. I'll keep everyone informed....
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Be very careful on how you remove the rear calipers! There is a lot of advice on this forum on that very topic...

You'll also need a puller to remove the old hubs... Quite a simple generic hub puller is quite adequate...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Earlier in this thread, reference was made to removing the part of the bearing left on the stub axle after removing the hub, and the careful use of angle grinder. I can vouch for use of angle grinder, having used one when I changed a BX rear hub many moons ago - it had done circa 200k. I fitted a "new hub" from scrappy.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )