help!

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Robin,

Sorry to hear about the MOT :cry: The tester was clearly in a bad mood or had a real downer on 405s :o Shocked the nearly new shocks and bushes failed so soon.

I found this in the old purple 405 BoL...

405 Brake Valve Location picture

Is this any help? It may not be fully applicable as it only covers the very early models...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroen7
My Cars: 73 stag,86 bx gt 89 bxgti 90 bxgti 4x4 91 metor auto 97 p38 2004 c5 2.0 vtr 2006 c5 estate 1.6

Post by citroen7 »

thanks jim that was perfect!
i had to buy the whole compensater just to get the spring which was a bummer i refused point blank to buy new shocks so took the ones of the donor car and gave off to the guy at gsf. but i dont think i will get anywhere.
Well with brakes fixed (and boy what a difference!) bushes changed the retest was saturday lunchtime at a different center so i sent the other half :) and bingo one test ticket :D :D .So there are three things left to sort out the speeo still does not work i have dismantled it twice now and it still is not working the drive cog fits well down and the cable end seems to slot home any ideas?
i had a problem with the fans not kicking in this was traced to a bad earth and dodgy relay by a friend it was fine for about 24hrs now the fans kick in as and when they like has anyone come across this before? i am told that it will be an earthing problem but where is the eathing point ?
the car has a tendancy to wander to the left the tracking was done last week and was way out, tyre pressures have been checked and with the better shocks on the rear it is not as bad so any pointers please
once this is sorted i can then get on with my latest project which arrived from england last week so answers asap chaps!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Robin,

Delighted that the car has a ticket now :D

The speedo drive: I guess you have checked the speedo head is OK by spinning the gearbox end of the cable and seeing the needle move. After that, the speedo drive in the gearbox is a suspect. Before delving into the drive, have a check of the end of the speedo cable and check that the squared end is in good condition and has not rounded off. If they round off, it will not pick up drive from square drive in the gearbox end of things.

The speedo drive in the gearbox is very accessible as it is right on the end of the RH driveshaft. The gears are plastic and the big one picks up drive from the final drive pinion via 2 small lugs and these may not be properly mated in or broken. From the big gear, drive is transferred to to a smaller worm gear. If the speedo cable or speedo head seizes, the gears can strip. AS I say, the drive is dead easy to remove. Slip out the RH driveshaft and three bolts and it's in your hand :D

The Fan: I presume it's an A/C car. If so, the fans are entirely under control of the Bitron Unit. If they randomly come on at high speed then the sensor or connections to it are suspect and in general all connections to the Bitron unit. I'm not sure where it is on a 405 but if it's in a similar position to the Xantia (under the LH Headlamp) it's prone to getting damp and corroded pins.

Steering: I'bve had this after a tracking adjustment in the past and normally, given that everything else is in order (i.e. no worn bushes etc.) it's because the tracking has been wrongly set, either to the wrong figures or just simply badly done.

I saw news of the arrival of your new project in another forum we both frequent Robin :D Looking forward to news on that one but I guess I'll have to look at the other forum for that!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...