Oil Change using Suction or Extractor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattyc

Post by mattyc »

One thing that they can be very useful for is changing oil between services. Without getting messy you can change a large percentage of the oil and replace with new, an oil change with an extractor midway through the service interval would surely have some benefit so could be worthwhile, for the cost of the extractor (which has its other uses) and just the oil.

Also useful for those who like to drain, refil, drive for a couple of hundred miles and then drain fully, refil+change filter. In either circumstance you can save the hassle of putting the car on ramps, sourcing a new washer seal and getting that oil stain on the driveway! I wouldnt use one for the actual oil change, only for the two occasions I listed. It really doesn't take long though, you can drain and refil in less than 15 minutes with no mess. Just my two cents, thought I would add a different perspective to the topic...

Kind regards,

Matt
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I remember seeing these types of machines appearing as self-service on petrol forecourts but they didn't catch on - I wonder why? :lol:

I hold the same opinion about them leaving the sludge behind and while you could maybe use them every other change, you still have to do it the "proper" way at times, so why not everytime?

What I found incredibly useful is a purpose made oil drain catch tank. It acts like a catch tray but funnels the oil into itself. Put the cap back on, wipe it off and carry it down the tip to empty. Makes a neat job if you're quick whipping the sump plug off.
jmd
My Cars:

Oil change using suction or extractor

Post by jmd »

Following recent exchanges regarding the oil change on a C5. Today I changed the oil on my wife's Saxo (1.5 Diesel) using the suction or extractor method - followed by removing the plug from the sump. Guess what ?
Not a drop of oil came through, the extractor had sucked it all. Pity it cannot do the same on the C5.
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Glad to say that the extractor gets the last drop out of the Saxo 1,5 Diesel. I removed the Sump Plug after exraction & there was nothing left in the sump.
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Changed the Oil in the Saxo 1.5D today by extraction, and then removed the Sump Plug, not a drop left the sump. Seems extractors work on some cars
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

Did you really change it 3 times..... :D :wink:
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

sorry Uncle Buck. I didn't realise that this topic extended on to another page, hence the 3rd entry. I tried unsuccessfully to delete 2 entries
Richard C. Carrington
My Cars:

Saxo oil change with extractor

Post by Richard C. Carrington »

Hi,
Glad to see that an extractor works with a Saxo. I've just come back from visiting my sister in the States and bought a 7 litre one for my Mercedes 190D 2.5, but seeing the favourable reports in the Saxo I'll use it on the wifes Saxo.
As to the subject of sludge, regular oil changes with good quality oil and a recommended flushing oil before new oil should keep sludge at bay,

Richard
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: Saxo oil change with extractor

Post by JohnD »

Richard C. Carrington wrote: Glad to see that an extractor works with a Saxo.
Why would you want to bother? You can drain the oil, change the filter, and fill it up again with new oil all within 10 minutes. Now the C5 - that's a different story.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Richard C. Carrington
My Cars:

Hi,
So you like lying on a cold wet floor in the middle of winter to get at the sump plug. I'm sure I don't.

The reason I purchased my fluid extractor is that I have an old 89 Mercedes 190D 2.5 and Mercedes have been using extractors for many many years, and recommend them. So if Mercedes recomend them then that's good enought for me. If I can use it on the Saxo Forte, which reading this forum tells me I can then I shall use this very clean method of changing oil.

As to other vehicles I have no experience of so I cannot comment, anyway as the saying goes, one mans' meat is anothers poison.

Not being arguementative with this post, just pointing out that after looking into the subject I believe extractors are very useful, and can be used for other liquids as well,

regards

Richard
(PS - off to use it to empty my heater matrix before cleaning it with caustic soda)
newmezuk04

Post by newmezuk04 »

An old high vis coat works wonders to lay on underneath the car and also contain any slight spillages of the oil.

I remember the first oil change I did, nearly tipped the bleeding tub over full of oil. :oops:

But in all seriousness, no matter what one has to do (laying on the floor), as long as I know I'm doing the job properly at a fraction of a cost then thats all I need to know.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If your heater matrix is aluminium you will likely need a new one if you clean it with caustic soda - it will dissolve it.
Richard C. Carrington
My Cars:

The car is a 1989 version and there seems to be a wealth of info on the 190 forum saying it's okay.
Anyway did it, left it in for 15 mins, flushed with clean water for 5 mins and all seems well. Took it for a drive to get really warmed up, then had to tackle funny lock on Saxo, think I've cracked that, time will tell.
Let you know tomorrow if I get in the Merc and am paddling,

Cheers

Richard

PS only a very weak solution of soda was used
Richard C. Carrington
My Cars:

Extractor worked fine on heater matrix to extract water, and the caustic soda mix worked fine, nice hottish air coming out of heater now. Door lock problem fixed to a degree, but still a bit funny (probably the wife)

Richard